RE: [BPQ32] BPQ32 APRS Weather Not working

  • Bill Erhardt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012

      Hi John,

      I caught some data for the APRS Weather with debug. I captured it in a jpg file and is enclosed..

      Bill K7MT

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
        Bill,

        The data it is getting from the file is not what should be in it.

        Could you sen dme your wx file, and I'll try tracing it.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

          Hi John,

          Disregard that last error as it was my mistake. Here is the error that is stopping BPQ32 APRS from not sending WX.

          Computer time and WX Station Time are correct and as you can see the WXNOW.TXT file time is ok, WX Display is on time, Computer is on time.  Hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
            I'll look into it. There must be a timezone issue somewhere.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
              Bill,

              The code expects the timestamp in the file to be UTC. Is it normal for WX reports to use local time?

              John

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

                Gm John,

                I set my K7MT-Igate to GMT Time and the weather is now beaconing.  It is used for my BPQ32 Switch, APRS, Weather Station, and Ham Radio so that is ok.

                I will send a note to the WXDisplay author in New Zealand and let him know and suggest maybe that when his program generates a the weather  wxnow.txt file for APRS that maybe an option for local or gmt time !!!!  Not sure but a thought is the WXDisplay program has been around for many years john generating the APRS Weather file.  I could be that everyone else uses local time. Only a thought…

                How about any other BPQ32 Folks out there with weather stations attached to your BPQ32 switch and running a wx program that generates a APRS WX file. Doe your program use local time or gmt time for the aprs wx file ??

                Cheers Bill K7MT

              • Bill Erhardt
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

                  Here is my Debug now

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                    Bill

                    In BPQ-APRS Basic setup there is an option for use local time, I do not
                    Have mine checked, I use a modified Weather Watcher (internet) program
                    Used for sending local WX in FBB or BPQ UIRoutine Beacons, also used for

                    My BPQ-APRS WX beacon with a patch to convert text to the correct APRS
                    WX
                    Protocol, the following is the WX string it sends, without Rain fall:

                    225/007g...t029P...b10200h54
                    Weather Watcher WX is downloaded in local time

                    73

                    Mike N9PMO
                    I set my K7MT-Igate to GMT Time and the weather is now beaconing.  It is
                    used for my BPQ32 Switch, APRS, Weather Station, and Ham Radio so that
                    is ok.

                    I will send a note to the WXDisplay author in New Zealand and let him
                    know and suggest maybe that when his program generates a the weather
                    wxnow.txt file for APRS that maybe an option for local or gmt time !!!!
                    Not sure but a thought is the WXDisplay program has been around for many
                    years john generating the APRS Weather file.  I could be that everyone
                    else uses local time. Only a thought…

                    How about any other BPQ32 Folks out there with weather stations attached
                    to your BPQ32 switch and running a wx program that generates a APRS WX
                    file. Doe your program use local time or gmt time for the aprs wx file
                    ??

                    Cheers Bill K7MT
                  • Bill Erhardt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

                      Hi Mike ,

                      I noticed that Local Time and I do have it checked. I don’t think that will solve my problem as it is my WXDisplay Program (with a Oregon Scientific Weather Station WMR-918) that is putting local time in the generated APRS Weather String. G8BPQ John said BPQAPRS is expecting GMT time in the String.  By setting my Ham computer to GMT that fixed the problem. However, I will try it though and see if it works (uncheck local time).

                      Thanks

                      Bill K7MT

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 25, 2012
                        The "Use Local TIme" setting in BPQAPRS just changes how times are displayed.

                        There are two checks in the WX beacon code. Both the file time stamp, and the content of the file itself (if present) are checked. The file system always uses UTC, so isn't a problem. One solution may be to remove the check on the time within  the file, as the code already accepts WX files without the timestamp

                        73, John