Red Cross non ham communication

  • nrk85630
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
      hello everyone,

      Let me introduce myself first, my name is Andre I';m a network controll station for the dutch red cross, callsign 85630.

      I'm looking at adding digital messaging to our options.

      we have 1 frequentie pair available around 70/80 mhz, 5 simplex around 146 mhz, 2 simplex around 160 mhz another duplex pair at 165/170 mhz and 2 uhf duplex pairs.

      I have asked about winlink software but I was told that use of that software was not alowed even without using their network.

      So my questions are,
      is bpq32 alowed for use on private red cross frequenties?
      does it suport 5 digit numirical callsigns?
      what frequentie would be the best option taking into account that the 70/80mhz pair is reserved for large scale events and most voice use is either on a 160 mhz simplex channel or the 165/170 mhz relais?
      what other hardware options should be considerd?

      greetings,
      Andre
      Dutch Red Cross
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
        Andre,

        I'm happy for you to use BPQ32 on Red Cross frequencies.

        It should work OK with 5 digit callsigns.

        I can't really comment on what frequencies you should use - you should discuss this woth other users of the frequencies locally/

        73,
        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
          Thank you very much John,

          I did a bit of background reading to see what else your software can do besides message distribution and it looks like there are aspects that have use that I had not envisioned yet like the APRS system.

          I should be able to stay bussy finetuning the whole setup.

          greetings,
          Andre