Newbie probably totally uninformed question

  • Don Rolph
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
      Ok, I am looking at BQ32 and as I understand it it si a packet
      bulletin board system.

      I am a bit puzzled at how one configures the bulletin board
      functonality: it does not seem to be discussed in the installation
      materials:

      http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#ExamplesLargeWithAGWPE

      Also, what is the typical SSID used for BQ32?

      Thanks!

      73,
      AB1PH
      Don Rolph
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
        Don,

        BPQ32 is a packet (and other modes including Pactor and WINMOR) switch.The installation documents give examples of how to set this up with a variety of comms links.

        There are a number of applications that can run on top of the switch to provide bulletin board functionality. One of these is BPQMailChat. Documentation for that is at

        I don't think there is a standard for SSID - a typical BPQ32 installation will use several, one for the node, and one for each of the applications you run with it.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
          Got it

          As I suspected it was an incredibly naive question. Thanks for your
          patience with me!

          If I am not careful, I am sensing an increbily amusing stack of
          software here: I already use AGWPE, add BPQ32, and BPQVKISS for sound
          card support of RMS Express, add RMS Packet on top of AGWPE, and add
          BPQ Mail and Chat on BPQ32.

          I sense that I better think this through carefully!

          Thanks for your help!

          73,
          AB1PH
          Don Rolph

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
            Don,

            Yes, it can get complicated if you want flexibility! But you probably don't need RMS Packet - BPQ32 includes an equivalent Packet to WL2K function.

            73, John

            As I suspected it was an incredibly naive question. Thanks for your
            patience with me!

            If I am not careful, I am sensing an increbily amusing stack of
            software here: I already use AGWPE, add BPQ32, and BPQVKISS for sound
            card support of RMS Express, add RMS Packet on top of AGWPE, and add
            BPQ Mail and Chat on BPQ32.

            I sense that I better think this through carefully!

            Thanks for your help!

            73,
            AB1PH
            Don Rolph

            On 10/23/12, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

            > Don,
            >
            > BPQ32 is a packet (and other modes including
            Pactor and WINMOR) switch.The
            > installation documents give examples of
            how to set this up with a variety
            > of
            > comms
            links.

            > There are a number of applications that can run on top of
            the switch to
            > provide bulletin board functionality. One of these is
            BPQMailChat.
            > Documentation for that is at

            href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%2">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%2

            0Server.htm

            > I don't think there is a standard for SSID - a
            typical BPQ32 installation
            > will use several, one for the node, and one
            for each of the applications
            > you
            > run with it.

            73, John G8BPQ

            href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don

            href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#

            ExamplesLargeWithAGWPE

            > Also, what is the typical SSID used for
            BQ32?

            > Thanks!
            >
            > 73,
            > AB1PH
            > Don
            Rolph

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
              John,
              I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of RMS Packet but still be able to use WL2k. How does that work? I can't seem to find any reference in the docs.
              73
              Dave
              WB2HVF

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2012
                Dave,

                It is provided by the telnet driver. See section "BPQ32 to CMS Gateway" in http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/TelnetServer.htm

                If you set up an application line like that described - eg APPLICATION 4,RMS,C 3 CMS,G8BPQ-10,BPQRMS,255 anyone connecting to g8bpq-10, either directly or via the NETROM network, will connect to WL2K.

                As I suspected it was an incredibly naive question. Thanks for your
                patience with me!

                If I am not careful, I am sensing an increbily amusing stack of
                software here: I already use AGWPE, add BPQ32, and BPQVKISS for sound
                card support of RMS Express, add RMS Packet on top of AGWPE, and add
                BPQ Mail and Chat on BPQ32.

                I sense that I better think this through carefully!

                Thanks for your help!

                73,
                AB1PH
                Don Rolph

                On 10/23/12, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
                > Don,
                >
                > BPQ32 is a packet (and other modes including Pactor and WINMOR) switch.The
                > installation documents give examples of how to set this up with a variety
                > of
                > comms links.
                >
                > There are a number of applications that can run on top of the switch to
                > provide bulletin board functionality. One of these is BPQMailChat.
                > Documentation for that is at
                >

                > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%2
                > 0Server.htm
                >
                > I don't think there is a standard for SSID - a typical BPQ32 installation
                > will use several, one for the node, and one for each of the applications
                > you
                > run with it.
                >
                > 73, John G8BPQ
                >
                > _____

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 24, 2012
                  John,
                  Thank you. That worked. It's actually so simple, I wonder why I didn't do it before.
                  The only thing that threw me a curve was that I had to restart the whole program after shutting RMSPacket down. Re-reading the config using the console did not work.
                  73
                  Dave