RE: [BPQ32] DISABL or OFF nodes?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008

      Charles

      I have seen two ways this will sow up,

      1 if the station is using AGW DIGIPeater by default Disable will show up

      2 If the station is using BPQ32U_410 in the ports section UNPROTO=DISABLE or OFF instead

      of committing the UNPROTO= Out

      I am sure there is other ways for this to happen, I have a local station sending the same Disable

      Then spreads threw my network on 5 AXIP Ports.

      Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

      Mike Melnik
      N9PMO
      E-Mails Scanned By Symantec Corporate A/V

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
        Nothing to do with winlink or Telpac, only less than complete knowledge of
        modern TNC settings.

        This is likely a newer version KPC-3Plus TNC which has the factory default
        "Node ID timer" setting of once every 10 minutes (IDINT 10).

        Find the new TNC (perhaps yours?) and set instead
        IDINT 0
        NETCALL %

        (Node ID interval disabled, NETCALL disabled)

        From the KPC-3 Plus User's Guide:
        IDINT n (n = 0 - 255)
        Default 10
        The IDINT command sets the time interval (in minutes) between node ID
        packets
        (not node broadcasts). Setting this command to 0 disables node IDs.

        73, Cap KE6AFE

        A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian
        spring. - Alexander Pope

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
          Hi,

          If you have one of these bogus nodes in your nodes list could you send me a copy of your BPQNODES.DAT? The BPQ32 code attempts to validate the calls received in 'NODES' broadcasts, but these seem to be slipping through, somehow.

          Thanks,
          John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
            Hi John, I don't have any right now but at night I do see the DISABL
            quite a bit at N4JOA-3
            so when I see it again I will send you a copy of my dat file too.
            ...73's...Joel N4JOA

            --
            Joel Yates
            yate4899@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008

              Just sent you my Nodes.DAT it is in there.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                DISABL has everything to do with Winlink Check the following website
                and read Q/A on Page 65.. Q9350

                http://home.earthlink.net/~k7bfl/WL2K_FAQ.pdf

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Is anybody else noticing bogus nodes like the "DISABL" node shown
                in this
                > screen-capture?
                >
                > http://www.rgvham.com/rgvforum/index.php/topic,21.0.html
                >
                > It has no callsign to go with the alias, and it prevents NetRom and
                BPQ
                > NODES lists from working properly.
                >
                > Besides "DISABL", I have also noted an "OFF" node here from time to
                time.

                > These bogus nodes are local, but only show up during band openings
                when it
                > is possible to node-hop out of our area.
                >
                > They first appeared after a TELPAC node was installed at the local
                police
                > department by a "ham" that nobody here knows and who does not
                participate in
                > any of the local nets, etc...
                >
                > During a band opening where DISABL was not active here, I node-
                hopped a few
                > hundred miles up the Texas coast - and found another "DISABL" node
                up there!

                > Heads up, folks. - The WinLinkers do not like networked packet
                radio and
                > apparently are out to "DISABL" our ability to utilize it.
                >
                > Time to drag out the RDF gear, eh?
                >
                > 73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL
                > USPacket.Org

              • Cap Pennell
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                  As I see it, the main problem is Kantronics set IDINT 10 as the default in
                  that particular TNC version. Setting IDINT 0 solves the problem. But
                  that's only based on my experience with this TNC. YMMV.

                  I'll share my experience with Don K7BFL, and hope it helps. Thanks. Now,
                  back to BPQ32.
                  73, Cap KE6AFE