DISABL or OFF nodes?

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
      Hello,

      Is anybody else noticing bogus nodes like the "DISABL" node shown in this
      screen-capture?

      http://www.rgvham.com/rgvforum/index.php/topic,21.0.html

      It has no callsign to go with the alias, and it prevents NetRom and BPQ
      NODES lists from working properly.

      Besides "DISABL", I have also noted an "OFF" node here from time to time.

      These bogus nodes are local, but only show up during band openings when it
      is possible to node-hop out of our area.

      They first appeared after a TELPAC node was installed at the local police
      department by a "ham" that nobody here knows and who does not participate in
      any of the local nets, etc...

      During a band opening where DISABL was not active here, I node-hopped a few
      hundred miles up the Texas coast - and found another "DISABL" node up there!

      Heads up, folks. - The WinLinkers do not like networked packet radio and
      apparently are out to "DISABL" our ability to utilize it.

      Time to drag out the RDF gear, eh?

      73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL
      USPacket.Org
    • Karl
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
        We had that in the Metro Denver Area as well. I think what they
        found is when Winlink is turned off, the TNC is set then with
        DISABL. I will contact the guys that discovered this and what the
        solution might be and repost here.

        Karl

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008

          Charles

          I have seen two ways this will sow up,

          1 if the station is using AGW DIGIPeater by default Disable will show up

          2 If the station is using BPQ32U_410 in the ports section UNPROTO=DISABLE or OFF instead

          of committing the UNPROTO= Out

          I am sure there is other ways for this to happen, I have a local station sending the same Disable

          Then spreads threw my network on 5 AXIP Ports.

          Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

          Mike Melnik
          N9PMO
          E-Mails Scanned By Symantec Corporate A/V

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
            Nothing to do with winlink or Telpac, only less than complete knowledge of
            modern TNC settings.

            This is likely a newer version KPC-3Plus TNC which has the factory default
            "Node ID timer" setting of once every 10 minutes (IDINT 10).

            Find the new TNC (perhaps yours?) and set instead
            IDINT 0
            NETCALL %

            (Node ID interval disabled, NETCALL disabled)

            From the KPC-3 Plus User's Guide:
            IDINT n (n = 0 - 255)
            Default 10
            The IDINT command sets the time interval (in minutes) between node ID
            packets
            (not node broadcasts). Setting this command to 0 disables node IDs.

            73, Cap KE6AFE

            A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian
            spring. - Alexander Pope

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
              Hi,

              If you have one of these bogus nodes in your nodes list could you send me a copy of your BPQNODES.DAT? The BPQ32 code attempts to validate the calls received in 'NODES' broadcasts, but these seem to be slipping through, somehow.

              Thanks,
              John G8BPQ

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                Hi John, I don't have any right now but at night I do see the DISABL
                quite a bit at N4JOA-3
                so when I see it again I will send you a copy of my dat file too.
                ...73's...Joel N4JOA

                --
                Joel Yates
                yate4899@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008

                  Just sent you my Nodes.DAT it is in there.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                    DISABL has everything to do with Winlink Check the following website
                    and read Q/A on Page 65.. Q9350

                    http://home.earthlink.net/~k7bfl/WL2K_FAQ.pdf

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Is anybody else noticing bogus nodes like the "DISABL" node shown
                    in this
                    > screen-capture?
                    >
                    > http://www.rgvham.com/rgvforum/index.php/topic,21.0.html
                    >
                    > It has no callsign to go with the alias, and it prevents NetRom and
                    BPQ
                    > NODES lists from working properly.
                    >
                    > Besides "DISABL", I have also noted an "OFF" node here from time to
                    time.

                    > These bogus nodes are local, but only show up during band openings
                    when it
                    > is possible to node-hop out of our area.
                    >
                    > They first appeared after a TELPAC node was installed at the local
                    police
                    > department by a "ham" that nobody here knows and who does not
                    participate in
                    > any of the local nets, etc...
                    >
                    > During a band opening where DISABL was not active here, I node-
                    hopped a few
                    > hundred miles up the Texas coast - and found another "DISABL" node
                    up there!

                    > Heads up, folks. - The WinLinkers do not like networked packet
                    radio and
                    > apparently are out to "DISABL" our ability to utilize it.
                    >
                    > Time to drag out the RDF gear, eh?
                    >
                    > 73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL
                    > USPacket.Org

                  • Cap Pennell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                      As I see it, the main problem is Kantronics set IDINT 10 as the default in
                      that particular TNC version. Setting IDINT 0 solves the problem. But
                      that's only based on my experience with this TNC. YMMV.

                      I'll share my experience with Don K7BFL, and hope it helps. Thanks. Now,
                      back to BPQ32.
                      73, Cap KE6AFE