Re: Receiving FRMR Frames, Unrecognized Data on Transmit?

  • James Hamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
      John,

      Thanks for looking at this.

      Attached are the current full config, the output from BPQ's monitor
      window, and a full trace from my home station.

      W3LRC is a club station that I'm working on. NF8I is my home station.
      W3CB is another nearby station that can be reached from W3LRC, but I
      have no control over it, and I can't hear it from my home shack.

      In the trace, I first connect to W3LRC from my home shack, and you can
      see the FRMR frames there. Next, I connect from W3LRC to W3CB-10, and
      you can see how the first command is fine, and the following commands
      fail.

      Thanks for a great piece of software! I ran it with great success
      from my home shack (using a PK88) while testing it; it's only been
      since we tried to put the club equipment (the KAM XL) on the air that
      we've had trouble.

      73 de NF8I,

      ~James
    • Peter - ZL2BAU
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
        On 02/10/12 01:09, james_nf8i wrote:

        Hello all,

        I seem to be having trouble with the transmit data from the BPQ node I'm trying to set up. The TNC is a Kantronics KAM XL, which I'm trying to interface with BPQ in KISS mode for 2m Packet. The eventual goal is to host an RMS node, a BBS, and whatever else might eventually seem useful.

        When it is in normal "command" mode, everything seems to work fine. Running through BPQ, there seems to be a lot of bad data going out, although I can't seem to figure out exactly what is bad about it. When I try to connect to a distant RMS node (which works fine without BPQ), I can get one command to work, then any other command I send is "Command Not Recognized".

        If I connect to a distant TNC just running on CONVERS mode, it doesn't even get that far. Two different TNCs start sending "FRMR" frames to me as soon as I try to connect. If they connect to me, it looks on my end like everything is fine, but as soon as BPQ sends any packets, the FRMR frames are sent back.

        Any advice or insight?

        Thanks and 73,

        James, NF8I

        =================

        Current Port Config:

        PORT
        PORTNUM=2
        ID=BPQ 145.750 MHz
        PORTALIAS=W3LRC-5
        TYPE=ASYNC
        PROTOCOL=KISS
        FULLDUP=0
        COMPORT=3
        SPEED=9600
        CHANNEL=B
        PERSIST=64
        SLOTTIME=100
        TXDELAY=400
        TXTAIL=40
        QUALITY=192
        MAXFRAME=7
        FRACK=5000
        RESPTIME=1000
        RETRIES=5
        PACLEN=128
        UNPROTO=CQ
        BCALL=W3LRC-1
        L3ONLY=0
        DIGIFLAG=1
        DIGIPORT=0
        USERS=0
        ENDPORT

        Hi James,

                      I have seen this problem years ago when two systems were configured with the same callsign_ssid, this gave a very pronounced FRMR error.

        Just a thought ..............

        Regards ..... Peter

      • james_nf8i
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
          Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, and it didn't seem to help the immediate problem. I have also heard about the KAMXL being unstable at 9600 baud from other sources, so I would like to do this anyway. However, in the short time I was testing this, the KAMXL reverted to 9600 on its own more than once. Is there some trick to getting it to stay at 19200?

          73,

          ~James

          > Jim
          >
          > The only comment I can make is about your BAUD rate speed,, I would
          > increase it to 19200 in bpq32.cfg
          > And in TNC, KAM, KAMXL and 9612 become unpredictable at BUAD rate 9600,
          > in some cases the second
          > Port does not work.
          >
          > Mike N9PMO
          > www.n9pmo.com

        • james_nf8i
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
            Peter,

            Thanks very much for your advice. I don't see this happening in this case, but I will keep it in mind in case it should become an issue in the future.

            For what it's worth, I had a friend try to connect to the W3LRC station, and he had the same problem with the FRMR frames. The closest commonality between my home station (NF8I) and my friend's station is that I'm using a PK-88 and he has a PK-232.

            73 de NF8I,

            ~James

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Peter - ZL2BAU <peter.zl2bau@...> wrote:

            > Hi James,
            >
            > I have seen this problem years ago when two systems were
            > configured with the same callsign_ssid, this gave a very pronounced FRMR
            > error.
            >
            > Just a thought ..............
            >
            > Regards ..... Peter

          • K.O. Higgs
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
              In the KAM "cmd:" mode, enter "AB 19200"

              K.O.

              --

              K.O. Higgs
              n0kfq@...

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                Thanks K.O

                I didn't remember the command for the BUAD rate change, I think inn the
                9612
                It is Mode 19200

                Mike N9PMO

                --

                K.O. Higgs
                n0kfq@...
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 13, 2012
                  Thanks to everybody that helped with this issue. After a hard reset didn't solve the problem with the TNC, I found and installed a firmware update from the manufacturer's website. Everything seems to be working fine now!

                  73 de NF8I,

                  ~James