Receiving FRMR Frames, Unrecognized Data on Transmit?

  • james_nf8i
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hello all,

      I seem to be having trouble with the transmit data from the BPQ node I'm trying to set up. The TNC is a Kantronics KAM XL, which I'm trying to interface with BPQ in KISS mode for 2m Packet. The eventual goal is to host an RMS node, a BBS, and whatever else might eventually seem useful.

      When it is in normal "command" mode, everything seems to work fine. Running through BPQ, there seems to be a lot of bad data going out, although I can't seem to figure out exactly what is bad about it. When I try to connect to a distant RMS node (which works fine without BPQ), I can get one command to work, then any other command I send is "Command Not Recognized".

      If I connect to a distant TNC just running on CONVERS mode, it doesn't even get that far. Two different TNCs start sending "FRMR" frames to me as soon as I try to connect. If they connect to me, it looks on my end like everything is fine, but as soon as BPQ sends any packets, the FRMR frames are sent back.

      Any advice or insight?

      Thanks and 73,

      James, NF8I

      =================

      Current Port Config:

      PORT
      PORTNUM=2
      ID=BPQ 145.750 MHz
      PORTALIAS=W3LRC-5
      TYPE=ASYNC
      PROTOCOL=KISS
      FULLDUP=0
      COMPORT=3
      SPEED=9600
      CHANNEL=B
      PERSIST=64
      SLOTTIME=100
      TXDELAY=400
      TXTAIL=40
      QUALITY=192
      MAXFRAME=7
      FRACK=5000
      RESPTIME=1000
      RETRIES=5
      PACLEN=128
      UNPROTO=CQ
      BCALL=W3LRC-1
      L3ONLY=0
      DIGIFLAG=1
      DIGIPORT=0
      USERS=0
      ENDPORT
    • K.O. Higgs
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 2 KB
      I am using a KAMXL with BPQ32 and enclosed is the setup I use. Perhaps you can find something useful here.

      73,  K.O. n0kfq

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

    • james_nf8i
      Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
        K.O.,

        Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, none of the changes I made based on your config seem to have done the trick.

        73,

        ~James, NF8I

        Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
          James,

          Can you send me a packet trace (from the monitor window) showing what you are sending and the FRMR response. That may give a clue as to what is going on.

          73, John G8BPQ

          Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
          • James Hamilton
            Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
              John,

              Thanks for looking at this.

              Attached are the current full config, the output from BPQ's monitor
              window, and a full trace from my home station.

              W3LRC is a club station that I'm working on. NF8I is my home station.
              W3CB is another nearby station that can be reached from W3LRC, but I
              have no control over it, and I can't hear it from my home shack.

              In the trace, I first connect to W3LRC from my home shack, and you can
              see the FRMR frames there. Next, I connect from W3LRC to W3CB-10, and
              you can see how the first command is fine, and the following commands
              fail.

              Thanks for a great piece of software! I ran it with great success
              from my home shack (using a PK88) while testing it; it's only been
              since we tried to put the club equipment (the KAM XL) on the air that
              we've had trouble.

              73 de NF8I,

              ~James
            • Peter - ZL2BAU
              Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                On 02/10/12 01:09, james_nf8i wrote:

[...]

                Hi James,

                              I have seen this problem years ago when two systems were configured with the same callsign_ssid, this gave a very pronounced FRMR error.

                Just a thought ..............

                Regards ..... Peter

              • james_nf8i
                Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, and it didn't seem to help the immediate problem. I have also heard about the KAMXL being unstable at 9600 baud from other sources, so I would like to do this anyway. However, in the short time I was testing this, the KAMXL reverted to 9600 on its own more than once. Is there some trick to getting it to stay at 19200?

                  73,

                  ~James

                  > Jim
                  >
                  > The only comment I can make is about your BAUD rate speed,, I would
                  > increase it to 19200 in bpq32.cfg
                  > And in TNC, KAM, KAMXL and 9612 become unpredictable at BUAD rate 9600,
                  > in some cases the second
                  > Port does not work.
                  >
                  > Mike N9PMO
                  > www.n9pmo.com

                • james_nf8i
                  Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Peter,

                    Thanks very much for your advice. I don't see this happening in this case, but I will keep it in mind in case it should become an issue in the future.

                    For what it's worth, I had a friend try to connect to the W3LRC station, and he had the same problem with the FRMR frames. The closest commonality between my home station (NF8I) and my friend's station is that I'm using a PK-88 and he has a PK-232.

                    73 de NF8I,

                    ~James

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Peter - ZL2BAU <peter.zl2bau@...> wrote:

                    > Hi James,
                    >
                    > I have seen this problem years ago when two systems were
                    > configured with the same callsign_ssid, this gave a very pronounced FRMR
                    > error.
                    >
                    > Just a thought ..............
                    >
                    > Regards ..... Peter

                  • K.O. Higgs
                    Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                      In the KAM "cmd:" mode, enter "AB 19200"

                      K.O.

                      --

                      K.O. Higgs
                      n0kfq@...

                    • Mike
                      Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                        Thanks K.O

                        I didn't remember the command for the BUAD rate change, I think inn the
                        9612
                        It is Mode 19200

                        Mike N9PMO

                        --

                        K.O. Higgs
                        n0kfq@...
                        Message 12 of 12 , Oct 13, 2012
                          Thanks to everybody that helped with this issue. After a hard reset didn't solve the problem with the TNC, I found and installed a firmware update from the manufacturer's website. Everything seems to be working fine now!

                          73 de NF8I,

                          ~James