BPQ32_5.2.9.1_20120925 including BPQAPRS is now available.

  • n5in_ron
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012

      This release updates BPQ32.dll and BPQMailChat.exe.

      BPQAPRS is an APRS mapping and messaging application first introduced in BPQ32_5.2.4.1_20120130.  BPQAPRS at its current state of development is a viable replacement for UIView32 for many users and in addition is under active development to add additional capability.  The BPQ32 digipeater is "New n-N Paradigm " compliant and provides enough objects to fully support the Local Info Initiative.    A configuration example is provided to quickly get you 'on the air'.  The BPQAPRS program provides mapping using the on-line OpenStreetMap  and reliable messaging, to the degree this is possible, with the existing infrastructure.

      As a reminder, you must have all of your configuration in BPQ32.cfg.

      BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018,was the last to support both the new method, all the configuration statements combined into BPQ32.cfg, as well as the old method of separate configuration files . If you currently have separate config files, a smooth transition to the new system would be to first install BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018, which you can find in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group, and make the changes to your configuration using that version.  Once successful, the subsequent upgrade to the new BPQ32_5.2.9.1_20120925 should proceed with ease.

      My installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant installation to a Microsoft compliant installation.  In brief, Microsoft has been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that an installation be split in to a "program files" part and an "application data" part.  This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista and Windows 7.  Many programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this program' etc.  If you have used this workaround, you can, after installing this most recent release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your configuration, and then do a reinstall taking all the defaults.  The result will be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.

      Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.

      The changelog is here: http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog

      Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex N5IN)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012

        Thanks, Ron.

        This is a critical update to BPQMailChat, which will stop crashes caused by receiving messages with a corrupt truncated R: line. Everyone running MailChat should upgrade as soon as practical.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012
          Thanks John and Ron!!!!

          Upgraded here... Thanks for fast fix John....
          73 Jerry N9LYA

          > Thanks, Ron.
          >

          > This is a critical update to BPQMailChat, which will stop crashes caused by
          > receiving messages with a corrupt truncated R: line. Everyone running
          > MailChat should upgrade as soon as practical.
          >

          > 73, John
          >

          > _____

        • David Bird
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2012
            Installed and working great. At first I was confused by the MailChat version reported. Then compared with older install and realized it had been updated. Thanks for the continuing effort.

            Dave,
            WA7RYV