08-11-12 - DUAL RADIO PORT TNC OPERATIONS

  • David Bird
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11 8:48 PM
      I have several MFJ-1278 TNC with two radio ports. I have been reading the documentation that shows how to configure a Channel-A and a Channel-B. However, I do not understand how those radio ports would work. At least on the 1278, only one radio port is active at a time. If both ports are configured in BPQ, how are the radio ports selected? Is one port like a master? I can understand how a connection could be made through either port using the channel number. But what happens after a channel has been selected and the connection ends? It seems to me that the unselected port is essentially isolated from the system?

      Can someone help my ignorance? I see the possibility to perform cross-channel connections but I need to understand how that would work.

      Thanks again for all the great help and suggestions,
      73, Dave
      WA7RYV
    • N9ACQ
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11 10:02 PM
      • 1 Attachment
      • 8 KB
      Dave
      One port at a time. The 1278 was designed back in 1988/9, before
      Windows 3.0 was released. Multi-tasking PC operating system were in there
      infancy. Does anybody remember Windows 286 or 386? The concept was you could
      connect each port to a different radio, usually one HF and the other VHF.
      The B model, with Pactor, is only supported by Airmail and then not usable
      for Winlink 2000, no 8bit transparency. Not supported for packet on
      Airmail. They are still usable for Pactor connections to the NTSD MBOs
      running Winlink 2.9 or 3.0, or packet via KISS mode driver like AGW. I have
      not tried the KISS mode drivers in either in Paclink or RMS Express. They
      also did make internal boards, one for 2400 and another for 9600 baud
      packet.
      73 Bill
      N9ACQ
      Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13 7:35 AM
        Dave,

        BPQ32 sees these as a single port TNC. ALthough the TNC has two radio ports, only one can be active at any one time. The Channel A/Channel B is for TNC's like the KPC4 and KAM that have twoindependent TNC channels.

        73, John