RE: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ32_5.2.8.1_20120808 including BPQAPRS is now available.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
      5.2.8.11

      Mike-N9PMO
      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      n5in_ron
      Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:01 PM
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ32_5.2.8.1_20120808 including BPQAPRS is now
      available.

      With regard to the 'Help' item on the menu bar, you are right..it doesn't do
      anything. The 'Help' item only appears when the Monitor window is given the
      focus. As you select different windows, different items show up in the menu
      bar.

      As to the revision the Console window displays it in it's title bar. It
      shows as 5.2.8.1. If your's doesn't, download and reinstall. Your
      configuration will not be altered.

      Perhaps in the future the 'Help' item will be active.

      As to BPQTermTCP, John will have to answer that one.

      Ron Stordahl, AE5E

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "wavetel1" <wavetel@...> wrote:

      > Thanks John and Ron
      >
      > I just upgraded from 5.2.7 .. The first thing I noticed was trying to
      check the version number didnt work. I went into the BPQ32 Console from the
      Tray and Clicked Help . Nothing happens at that point. Also sometimes at
      this point sometimes both the Edit and Help Menu options dissapear
      completely from the Top menu Bar.

      > Also Ive been playing with BPQ term Tcpip . This is great but if I just
      sit there and try to use it for remote monitoring it seems to time out and
      disconnect. Is there a way to stop this or have a "Keep Alive" option ?

      > Regards
      > Tony VK5AH

      > > Thanks, Ron.
      > >
      > > This is primarily a bug-fix release, with a couple of minor
      enhancements. If
      > > you have been having stablility problems with the current version, I
      suggest
      > > you update asap,
      > >
      > > 73, John
      > >
      > > _____

      Vista

      <http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm
      > > #Changelog>

      http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#
      > > Changelog
      > >
      > > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing
      BPQ32!

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
        The initial version of the latest installer was issued with bpq32.dll having an inconsistent set of Version Numbers in the resource record. In some places is was set to the correct 5.2.8.1, in others, including the one displayed by the software, 5.2.8.11. This has since been corrected, so any new updates will show .1 If you have .11 running, there is no need to update again.

        Sorry for any confusion caused.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
          Tony,

          The Help menu only appears when either the Monitor or Terminal windows are active. Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't work - I'll fix that. The version is shown on the title bar of the bpq32.dll console window, at the top of the console window as part of the initialisation display, or in response to the Node "V" command.

          BPQTermTCP can send keepalives. This is enabled by setting "Chat Terminal Mode" in Setup. It is called that as it was added to prevent chat sessions timing out.

          .

          _____

          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/>

          href="http://www.aprs.org/fix14439.html">http://www.aprs.org/fix14439.html> Paradigm " compliant and
          href="http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html">http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html> Initiative. A configuration example

          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/> BPQ32 Yahoo Group, and make the
          > changes to your configuration using that
          version. Once successful, the
          > subsequent upgrade to the new
          BPQ32_5.2.7.1_20120608 should proceed with
          > ease.
          >
          > My
          installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant

          installation to a Microsoft compliant installation. In brief, Microsoft has
          > been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that
          an
          > installation be split in to a "program files" part and an
          "application data"
          > part. This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is
          being enforced in Vista
          > and Windows 7. Many programs have been installed
          in the root, such as
          > C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation,
          but the result is
          > annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this
          program' etc. If you have
          > used this workaround, you can, after
          installing this most recent release, do
          > an uninstall, which will
          preserve your configuration, and then do a
          > reinstall taking all the
          defaults. The result will be to divide your
          > installation properly into
          %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.

          > Help will be
          available in the users group should you have questions.

          > The
          changelog is here:
          > <
          href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm

          #Changelog>

          href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#

          Changelog

          > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless
          work enhancing BPQ32!

          > 73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex
          N5IN)

        • wavetel1
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
            John. Thanks for the advice. Ive enabled the "Chat Terminal Mode" now. I wonder if you have tried this ? I still seem to get disconnected after a while.
            I am actually sitting there connected to the BPQ32 Host and just monitoring the channel traffic with no outbound connection and eventually I end up getting disconnected from the host.

            Regards
            Tony VK5AH

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
              Tony,

              Yes, I quite often leave it connected for quite long periods. How long a period are you talking about?

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                John,

                Its about 10 mins or less. This happens on 2 systems both admitedly with as good as identical configs. Perhaps there is a non acticity timer of sorts thats comming into play. My config could have something in there as it has been a slow morph originally starting from BPQ16 .

                Another odd thing Ive found is that on connection I dont actually start to receive frames (displayed on the upper screen) until I make an outbound connect then disconnect and then reconnect to the BPQ32 Host. Then it seems to receive ok without having to connect.

                Just timed the Disconnect. Its 7 mins and 45 seconds or thereabouts. One thing that almost fits that is my setting for IDLETIME=420.
                I did find something about this that you fixed a while back with Fix resetting IDLE Timer on Pactor/WINMOR session. Also Send L3 Keepalive messages (KEEPLI) based on IDLETIME

                May be this IDLETIME has got something to do with it but the timer does not quite fit.

                Any ideas ?

                Regards Tony VK5AH

                > Tony,
                >
                > Yes, I quite often leave it connected for quite long periods. How long a
                > period are you talking about?
                >
                > _____

              • wavetel1
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17, 2012
                  John,

                  Ive still been experimenting with the Remote telnet and timeout.
                  Its a bit difficult at present as I am on holidays now. Back home is the BPQ node. Before I left I increased the Idletime from IDLETIME=420 to 1800. This seems to keep me connected to the Node remotely something like 3-4 hours now which is pretty good.

                  I see you have done some changes for the TNC-x in the latest version. Can you explain what this is about in a bit more detail as I seem to have issues with my TNC-x locking up and not recieving every few days. This is probably not a new problem since the new version of BPQ but likely a new problem since I changed the setup recently to a new machine with a different OS. It was running beautifully under Windows ME very stable and now Ive gone across to XP.
                  This is All I could find in the changelog but maybee its of interest to me. The TNC-x is running via USB.

                  Add TNCX KISSOPTION for TNC-X BPQKISS software (includes the ACKMODE bytes in the checksum)

                  Any clues John ? Regards
                  Tony VK5AH

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 17, 2012

                    Ah!,

                    TermTCP sends a keepalive every 9 minutes or thereabouts. I’ve always used an  IDLETIME of 15 mins, which was the default for most TNCs when I stated in packet. 420 is too short. 10 mins (600 secs) or above should be fine. I feel 30 mins is a bit long.

                    The TNCX KISSOPTION is for use with the BPQKISS version of the TNC-X PIC program. I haven’t released this yet, but the option is in BPQ32 for those testing it.