BPQ32_5.2.8.1_20120808 including BPQAPRS is now available.

  • n5in_ron
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012

      This release updates BPQ32.dll, BPQMailChat.exe and BPQAPRS.exe.

      BPQAPRS is an APRS mapping and messaging application first introduced in BPQ32_5.2.4.1_20120130.  BPQAPRS at its current state of development is a viable replacement for UIView32 for many users and in addition is under active development to add additional capability.  The BPQ32 digipeater is "New n-N Paradigm " compliant and provides enough objects to fully support the Local Info Initiative.    A configuration example is provided to quickly get you 'on the air'.  The BPQAPRS program provides mapping using the on-line OpenStreetMap  and reliable messaging, to the degree this is possible, with the existing infrastructure.

      As a reminder, you must have all of your configuration in BPQ32.cfg.

      BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018,was the last to support both the new method, all the configuration statements combined into BPQ32.cfg, as well as the old method of separate configuration files . If you currently have separate config files, a smooth transition to the new system would be to first install BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018, which you can find in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group, and make the changes to your configuration using that version.  Once successful, the subsequent upgrade to the new BPQ32_5.2.7.1_20120608 should proceed with ease.

      My installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant installation to a Microsoft compliant installation.  In brief, Microsoft has been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that an installation be split in to a "program files" part and an "application data" part.  This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista and Windows 7.  Many programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this program' etc.  If you have used this workaround, you can, after installing this most recent release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your configuration, and then do a reinstall taking all the defaults.  The result will be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.

      Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.

      The changelog is here: http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog

      Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex N5IN)
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
        Thanks, Ron.

        This is primarily a bug-fix release, with a couple of minor enhancements. If you have been having stablility problems with the current version, I suggest you update asap,

        73, John

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
          Thanks John and Ron

          I just upgraded from 5.2.7 .. The first thing I noticed was trying to check the version number didnt work. I went into the BPQ32 Console from the Tray and Clicked Help . Nothing happens at that point. Also sometimes at this point sometimes both the Edit and Help Menu options dissapear completely from the Top menu Bar.

          Also Ive been playing with BPQ term Tcpip . This is great but if I just sit there and try to use it for remote monitoring it seems to time out and disconnect. Is there a way to stop this or have a "Keep Alive" option ?

          Regards
          Tony VK5AH

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
            With regard to the 'Help' item on the menu bar, you are right..it doesn't do anything. The 'Help' item only appears when the Monitor window is given the focus. As you select different windows, different items show up in the menu bar.

            As to the revision the Console window displays it in it's title bar. It shows as 5.2.8.1. If your's doesn't, download and reinstall. Your configuration will not be altered.

            Perhaps in the future the 'Help' item will be active.

            As to BPQTermTCP, John will have to answer that one.

            Ron Stordahl, AE5E

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
              5.2.8.11

              Mike-N9PMO

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
                The initial version of the latest installer was issued with bpq32.dll having an inconsistent set of Version Numbers in the resource record. In some places is was set to the correct 5.2.8.1, in others, including the one displayed by the software, 5.2.8.11. This has since been corrected, so any new updates will show .1 If you have .11 running, there is no need to update again.

                Sorry for any confusion caused.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
                  Tony,

                  The Help menu only appears when either the Monitor or Terminal windows are active. Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't work - I'll fix that. The version is shown on the title bar of the bpq32.dll console window, at the top of the console window as part of the initialisation display, or in response to the Node "V" command.

                  BPQTermTCP can send keepalives. This is enabled by setting "Chat Terminal Mode" in Setup. It is called that as it was added to prevent chat sessions timing out.

                  .

                  _____

                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/>

                  href="http://www.aprs.org/fix14439.html">http://www.aprs.org/fix14439.html> Paradigm " compliant and
                  href="http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html">http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html> Initiative. A configuration example

                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/> BPQ32 Yahoo Group, and make the
                  > changes to your configuration using that
                  version. Once successful, the
                  > subsequent upgrade to the new
                  BPQ32_5.2.7.1_20120608 should proceed with
                  > ease.
                  >
                  > My
                  installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant

                  installation to a Microsoft compliant installation. In brief, Microsoft has
                  > been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that
                  an
                  > installation be split in to a "program files" part and an
                  "application data"
                  > part. This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is
                  being enforced in Vista
                  > and Windows 7. Many programs have been installed
                  in the root, such as
                  > C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation,
                  but the result is
                  > annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this
                  program' etc. If you have
                  > used this workaround, you can, after
                  installing this most recent release, do
                  > an uninstall, which will
                  preserve your configuration, and then do a
                  > reinstall taking all the
                  defaults. The result will be to divide your
                  > installation properly into
                  %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.

                  > Help will be
                  available in the users group should you have questions.

                  > The
                  changelog is here:
                  > <
                  href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm

                  #Changelog>

                  href="http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#">http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#

                  Changelog

                  > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless
                  work enhancing BPQ32!

                  > 73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex
                  N5IN)

                • wavetel1
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 10, 2012
                    John. Thanks for the advice. Ive enabled the "Chat Terminal Mode" now. I wonder if you have tried this ? I still seem to get disconnected after a while.
                    I am actually sitting there connected to the BPQ32 Host and just monitoring the channel traffic with no outbound connection and eventually I end up getting disconnected from the host.

                    Regards
                    Tony VK5AH

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                      Tony,

                      Yes, I quite often leave it connected for quite long periods. How long a period are you talking about?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                        John,

                        Its about 10 mins or less. This happens on 2 systems both admitedly with as good as identical configs. Perhaps there is a non acticity timer of sorts thats comming into play. My config could have something in there as it has been a slow morph originally starting from BPQ16 .

                        Another odd thing Ive found is that on connection I dont actually start to receive frames (displayed on the upper screen) until I make an outbound connect then disconnect and then reconnect to the BPQ32 Host. Then it seems to receive ok without having to connect.

                        Just timed the Disconnect. Its 7 mins and 45 seconds or thereabouts. One thing that almost fits that is my setting for IDLETIME=420.
                        I did find something about this that you fixed a while back with Fix resetting IDLE Timer on Pactor/WINMOR session. Also Send L3 Keepalive messages (KEEPLI) based on IDLETIME

                        May be this IDLETIME has got something to do with it but the timer does not quite fit.

                        Any ideas ?

                        Regards Tony VK5AH

                        > Tony,
                        >
                        > Yes, I quite often leave it connected for quite long periods. How long a
                        > period are you talking about?
                        >
                        > _____

                      • wavetel1
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 17, 2012
                          John,

                          Ive still been experimenting with the Remote telnet and timeout.
                          Its a bit difficult at present as I am on holidays now. Back home is the BPQ node. Before I left I increased the Idletime from IDLETIME=420 to 1800. This seems to keep me connected to the Node remotely something like 3-4 hours now which is pretty good.

                          I see you have done some changes for the TNC-x in the latest version. Can you explain what this is about in a bit more detail as I seem to have issues with my TNC-x locking up and not recieving every few days. This is probably not a new problem since the new version of BPQ but likely a new problem since I changed the setup recently to a new machine with a different OS. It was running beautifully under Windows ME very stable and now Ive gone across to XP.
                          This is All I could find in the changelog but maybee its of interest to me. The TNC-x is running via USB.

                          Add TNCX KISSOPTION for TNC-X BPQKISS software (includes the ACKMODE bytes in the checksum)

                          Any clues John ? Regards
                          Tony VK5AH

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 17, 2012

                            Ah!,

                            TermTCP sends a keepalive every 9 minutes or thereabouts. I’ve always used an  IDLETIME of 15 mins, which was the default for most TNCs when I stated in packet. 420 is too short. 10 mins (600 secs) or above should be fine. I feel 30 mins is a bit long.

                            The TNCX KISSOPTION is for use with the BPQKISS version of the TNC-X PIC program. I haven’t released this yet, but the option is in BPQ32 for those testing it.