07-26-12 - NETWORK NODE TRAFFIC

  • David Bird
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2012
      I am moving several BBS systems from FBB to BPQMailChat. I have received very positive feedback
      on MailChat with comments such as: More Initative, More Thinking interface. Thanks for this tool.

      I am adding these systems to a frequency associated with area ERC packet traffic. In the last many years,
      there has been very little traffic on this frequency. The only traffic has been node talking to node. These nodes
      are all firmware nodes. With the addition of the new BBS systems and BPQ Packet Switches, traffic has
      significantly increased. As an area group we have been looking at interval timers and beacon periods. All my
      nodes have been set for 60-minutes or more. However, there is still a lot of UA, C and D traffic on the frequency.

      I am not that familiar with all these packet types and how their intervals might be set. Any suggestions on how to
      minimize non-traffic packets will be appreciated. One area user reports difficulty and delays in passing traffic
      associated with local ham supported events. I only see the traffic increasing as we develop a practical ERC
      packet network here in the valley and adjacent counties.

      Thanks again for all the help,
      73, Dave.
    • Andre
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2012
        On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:08:38 +0200, David Bird <db.mediaint@...>
        wrote:

        > I am moving several BBS systems from FBB to BPQMailChat. I have received
        > very positive feedback
        > on MailChat with comments such as: More Initative, More Thinking
        > interface. Thanks for this tool.
        >
        > I am adding these systems to a frequency associated with area ERC packet
        > traffic. In the last many years,
        > there has been very little traffic on this frequency. The only traffic
        > has been node talking to node. These nodes
        > are all firmware nodes. With the addition of the new BBS systems and BPQ
        > Packet Switches, traffic has
        >
        > significantly increased. As an area group we have been looking at
        > interval timers and beacon periods. All my
        > nodes have been set for 60-minutes or more. However, there is still a
        > lot of UA, C and D traffic on the frequency.
        >
        > I am not that familiar with all these packet types and how their
        > intervals might be set. Any suggestions on how to
        > minimize non-traffic packets will be appreciated. One area user reports
        > difficulty and delays in passing traffic
        > associated with local ham supported events. I only see the traffic
        > increasing as we develop a practical ERC
        > packet network here in the valley and adjacent counties.
        >
        > Thanks again for all the help,
        > 73, Dave.

        C = connect request
        D = disconnect request
        UA unnumbered Acknowladge, responce to both C and D packets

        without those 3 you can not have trafic flowing.

        one thing you can do to reduce trafic is set fixed routing and disable the
        node broadcasts but this will make your network less resistant.
        Most likely the best option but more expencive is to seperate the LAPs and
        move the backbone to another band, preferably with beams between nodes but
        all nodes interconnections on one frequentie still works.

        also make sure the node table timeout is at least twice as long as your
        node broadcast timer otherwise the nodes will start transmitting a
        complete table when they only need to transmit a new node otherwise.

        --
        73 Andre PE1RDW