Re: [BPQ32] Is there an APRS Server Port in BPQ32?

  • Bill Vodall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012
      On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:16 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

      > BPQ32 APRS does not currently include an APRS-IS server. What exactly are
      > you trying to do? – There may be other ways to achieve it.

      Hello John,

      The local APRS feed port is a feature that every other APRS
      application that I know of has.. It proves a easy and convenient way
      for other applications in the local network to see the same traffic
      that the main APRS program is seeing.

      It doesn't have all the filters or dupe processing a mainline aprs-is
      server would have. It simply shows what's being heard and optionally
      could upfeed any packets from the connected clients.

      In my specific use case, I'll have the hub BPQ32 system running in the
      ham shack and will be watching the traffic on the local APRS channel
      as well as alternate (9k6) APRS and legacy packet channels. Any local
      device on my LAN (or outside with the port forwarded) will be able to
      hook up without adding to the load on the APRS-IS servers and my
      internet connection.

      Pasted below a good write up from last year on APRSSIG...

      Thanks again for all your efforts...

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP

      -----

      On 10/2/2011 1:40 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
      > One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
      > it's TCP/IP "local server". Everything UIview hears from the
      > attached radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is
      > replicated at a local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients
      > and applications on the same LAN can connect to to the local server in
      > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This
      > local server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can
      > send messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or--
      > to stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN.

      UI-View is not unique in this area. According to the eyechart at
      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html, in the category
      "Provides local APRS server socket", APRS+SA, OziAPRS, UI-View, USA
      PhotoMaps, and xastir provide this capability.

      APRSISCE/32 in development mode now also supports a downstream IS-Server
      port. This port supports full APRS-IS filters and also forwards packets
      upstream provided that the downstream client supplies a valid APRS-IS
      password. I need to get the current capabilities sent out to Curt for
      an update.