Is there an APRS Server Port in BPQ32?

  • Bill Vodall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
      I'm moving from UI-View to BPQ32 for my APRS handling on the home
      station. As such, I need a local APRS Server port where mulitple
      applications, including in this example UZ7HO, can attach and see the
      flow of packets...

      I didn't find it in the docs... Should I have looked closer? Yes -
      BPQ32 can connect directly to UZ7HO and that might cover part of the
      use case but I do need the server port for other applications - at
      lease until I get 'aprsd' running again.

      Thanks -
      Bill - WA7NWP

      From WA8LMF on the APRS-Messenger reflector:

      Currently the work-around is to mate AGW or UZ7HO to the main TNC port
      of UIview. Then set UIview's local server to port 14580. (You'll
      have to edit uiview32.ini to do this.)

      In APRS Messenger, enter "localhost" instead of a "real" Internet
      server address into the "APRS -IS Server" box. Then click the
      button "Connect To Server" just to the left of the waterfall in
      Messenger. Messenger will connect to UIview's port 14580 local
      server. [This is completely different and separate from using the
      main TCP/IP port to connect to a "real" APRS-IS Internet server on
      port 14580. you can run both at the same time.]

      Everything Messenger hears will be passed to UIview for mapping, and
      for igating if you have Uiview logged into an actual APRS-IS server
      Everything UZ7HO hears will appear to UIvew just like it would from
      any other TNC. You would then use UIview's messaging to send/receive
      messages on AX.25, and Messenger's internal messaging function to
      send/receive traffic on PSK/GMSK/MFSK.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012

        Bill,

        BPQ32 APRS does not currently include an APRS-IS server. What exactly are you trying to do? – There may be other ways to achieve it.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012
          On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:16 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

          > BPQ32 APRS does not currently include an APRS-IS server. What exactly are
          > you trying to do? – There may be other ways to achieve it.

          Hello John,

          The local APRS feed port is a feature that every other APRS
          application that I know of has.. It proves a easy and convenient way
          for other applications in the local network to see the same traffic
          that the main APRS program is seeing.

          It doesn't have all the filters or dupe processing a mainline aprs-is
          server would have. It simply shows what's being heard and optionally
          could upfeed any packets from the connected clients.

          In my specific use case, I'll have the hub BPQ32 system running in the
          ham shack and will be watching the traffic on the local APRS channel
          as well as alternate (9k6) APRS and legacy packet channels. Any local
          device on my LAN (or outside with the port forwarded) will be able to
          hook up without adding to the load on the APRS-IS servers and my
          internet connection.

          Pasted below a good write up from last year on APRSSIG...

          Thanks again for all your efforts...

          73
          Bill - WA7NWP

          -----

          On 10/2/2011 1:40 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
          > One of the features that is unique (as far as I know) to UIview is
          > it's TCP/IP "local server". Everything UIview hears from the
          > attached radio/TNC --and/or-- it's Internet APRS-IS login is
          > replicated at a local TCP/IP server port. In turn, other APRS clients
          > and applications on the same LAN can connect to to the local server in
          > exactly the same way they would to the Internet APRS-IS. This
          > local server port is fully bi-directional. Other users on the LAN can
          > send messages either to RF (via the UIivew host's radio/TNC), --or--
          > to stations on the APRS-IS --or-- to other stations on the LAN.

          UI-View is not unique in this area. According to the eyechart at
          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html, in the category
          "Provides local APRS server socket", APRS+SA, OziAPRS, UI-View, USA
          PhotoMaps, and xastir provide this capability.

          APRSISCE/32 in development mode now also supports a downstream IS-Server
          port. This port supports full APRS-IS filters and also forwards packets
          upstream provided that the downstream client supplies a valid APRS-IS
          password. I need to get the current capabilities sent out to Curt for
          an update.