Does anybody else have bpq32 crashing?

  • Bill Vodall
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2012
      Last week I put the latest BPQ32 on the little ASUS 900 Win XP system.
      It was running fine... Great. Wow!

      Yesterday I turned on BPQAPRS. Then I tweaked the config to turn on
      the local Webpage and Terminal Server. Since then I've had some "do
      you want to tell Microsoft what happened" crashes. This morning it
      won't run more than a few minutes. Tonight I'll gather more info..

      I really like the HTTPPORT web server. It shows great promise.

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9, 2012
        Bill

        Yes I have many crashes with BPQ32 latest version but before the HTTP was
        added
        I was having some problems, I am glad you brought this up, I will disable my
        HTTP
        Server, I have at least one crash a day, all BPQ32 Programs windows will
        white out
        And can not access the BPQ Tray Icon.

        I am running Debug View with a new BPQ32.DLL that reports more information
        to Debug
        View, John is aware of my problem, there has also been a couple of others
        that have
        Crashed, but may not be related.

        On the other side of the coin many using the HTTP server or latest version
        of BPQ32
        Have not reported any problems that I know of.

        Just to verify your thoughts try disabling your HTTP server and let us know.

        73

        Mike-N9PMO

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 2012

            Bill,

            I’m not aware of any problems specifically related to the Web Server. A problem was found in the APRS code that causes crashes if UIVIew is used as an IS Server, but it is possible there could also be problems if corrupt messages were received from APRS-IS.

            This should fix that problem - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32_5.2.7.6.zip

            For the record, this version has the fix for crashes caused by very long lines received by the Telnet Server – this mainly affects Outpost users, and corrects reporting of MARS stations to the WL2K maps.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9, 2012
              > I’m not aware of any problems specifically related to the Web Server. A
              > problem was found in the APRS code that causes crashes if UIVIew is used as
              > an IS Server, but it is possible there could also be problems if corrupt
              > messages were received from APRS-IS.
              >
              > This should fix that problem -
              > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32_5.2.7.6.zip

              Thanks John, I'll install it tonight and see what happens..

              Bill
            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 9, 2012

                I been having crashes.. BPQAPRS for some reason.. Working long days and nights no time to troubleshoot…

                Ley me know if anyone finds any answers.. this is a bad time for crashes.. The next two Saturdays are vital to Indiana to gain any momentum and I cannot keep it running very long..

                I find it at least once a day crashed and nothing working…

                The 14th is a Hamfest I planned to demo at

                The 21st is a statewide test and I Will not be home to baby sit my bbs.. So I am on pins and needles on what to do.. Do I wait for a fix or revert to something else.. either permanently or until I have some time to troubleshoot..

                Never a good thing, a BBS that runs, it does not..

                73

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10, 2012

                  > This should fix that problem -
                  > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32_5.2.7.6.zip

                  I tried 5.2.7.6 last night and this morning. Maybe better - maybe
                  not. I still get

                  ""instruction at "0x4206d2d0" referenced memory at "0xffffffffe2".
                  The memory could not be "read".

                  after a few minutes of the program running.

                  I will be home tonight to experiment more and will try turning on the
                  Term/http server on my laptop later this afternoon.

                  73
                  Bill - WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Bill,

                    0x4206d2d0 is in the 'C' runtime, not my code, which makes it much more difficult to track down, so if you can get a bit more info as to what might be causing it, it would help.

                    Thanks,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 11, 2012
                      > 0x4206d2d0 is in the 'C' runtime, not my code, which makes it much more
                      > difficult to track down, so if you can get a bit more info as to what might
                      > be causing it, it would help.

                      I ran all yesterday and it didn't crash... Only this was on 145.01
                      and I copied very few packets... :(

                      I switched to the continuous stream on 144.39 - CRASH...

                      I completely turned off the TCP (httpport, tcpport, fbbport) 'port'
                      section and restarted. A few minutes later - CRASH.

                      So this morning, before making breakfast for my sweety I tried turning
                      off the APRS section. That was over an hour ago and it's still
                      running.

                      Is there any way to feed a datafile of test packets to bpq32? If
                      so, I could build a test of the recent packets and find out which are
                      causing the problem..

                      73
                      Bill
                    • David Ream
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11, 2012
                        Bill
                        I had that trouble in the past and it turned out to be Norton antivirus. Went to another software and have had no trouble since.
                        Dave W2EFC

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11, 2012
                          Bill

                          You can use the Import in the BPQMailChat, Actions, you will need
                          To add the Header SP or SB, TO and end the file with /ex
                          Just copy the file you want to import save it as messages.in Not .txt
                          Save it in the BPQ32\MailChat folder, not root directory, click
                          Import the message will be in your BBS.

                          For the record, myself and two others are testing a New BPQ32.EXE and
                          BPQ32.DLL
                          These give a more comprehensive report to Debug View, John is working on the
                          Problem, just be patient.

                          Also if running WinFbb 7.00e, g or I in the Port configuration, last page,
                          set the
                          MUX to 0.

                          Usually the program you start first will be the program that shows the fail,
                          but does not
                          Mean this is the program that is causing the problem.

                          Hope this helps a bit.

                          73

                          Mike-N9PMO

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 11, 2012

                            The problem is aprs packets, not bbs messages....   My little asus eee doesn't have mailchat installed and probably never will as the use here is more of a packet switch, gateway and web resource server.....

                            On Jul 11, 2012, at 5:11 PM, "Mike Melnik" <mmelnik1@...> wrote:

                            Bill

                            You can use the Import in the BPQMailChat, Actions, you will need
                            To add the Header SP or SB, TO and end the file with /ex
                            Just copy the file you want to import save it as messages.in Not .txt
                            Save it in the BPQ32\MailChat folder, not root directory, click
                            Import the message will be in your BBS.

                            For the record, myself and two others are testing a New BPQ32.EXE and
                            BPQ32.DLL

                            Cool...  Thanks...

                          • Bill Vodall
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12, 2012
                              FYI - Still running on 144.39 with no problems...

                              Bill

                              On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
                              >> 0x4206d2d0 is in the 'C' runtime, not my code, which makes it much more
                              >> difficult to track down, so if you can get a bit more info as to what might
                              >> be causing it, it would help.
                              >
                              > I ran all yesterday and it didn't crash... Only this was on 145.01
                              > and I copied very few packets... :(
                              >
                              > I switched to the continuous stream on 144.39 - CRASH...
                              >
                              > I completely turned off the TCP (httpport, tcpport, fbbport) 'port'
                              > section and restarted. A few minutes later - CRASH.
                              >
                              > So this morning, before making breakfast for my sweety I tried turning
                              > off the APRS section. That was over an hour ago and it's still
                              > running.
                            • Jerry
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 12, 2012

                                I am now home and off work.. Can you resend me those files and instructions to help find the issues here.. thanks JK