Re: [BPQ32] BPQ32 v4.10c released today Dec 11, 2007

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12 6:29 AM
      Mark

      To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer.  I then checked and the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed.  I then did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as write protected.  Even then it was removed from the install directory.  About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even if it was not.  This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe there is little I can do.  It's only speculation of course.

      Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority.  John would have to verify this.

      So I am not sure what happened.

      Ron, N5IN

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12 12:52 PM
        Ron,

        Right now I have only One copy on the machine here. It's in c:\programs
        files\bpq32, there are no other copies anywhere on the drive.

        When I reboot the machine, bpq auto starts perfectly every time. So, it
        must be using the dll in that location. Not sure what is going on but it
        is working ok.

        I may have confused you (and myself) earlier. When I ran your installer
        it wrote the 'new' dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder. I then moved
        that file over to c:\program files\bpq32 and wrote over the older file
        that was there. At that point there was only one bpq32.dll file on this
        machine. I rebooted the machine and bpq auto started and ran fine.

        This still doesn't explain exactly why that file needs to be in the
        windows subdir. But, in any event, it works with it in a different location.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Ron Stordahl wrote:

        > Mark
        >
        > To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in
        > c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer. I then checked and
        > the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed. I then
        > did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as
        > write protected. Even then it was removed from the install directory.
        > About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently
        > assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even
        > if it was not. This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe
        > there is little I can do. It's only speculation of course.
        >
        > Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be
        > used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority. John would
        > have to verify this.
        >
        > So I am not sure what happened.
        >
        > Ron, N5IN

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12 1:10 PM
          Mark

          I would reboot, and then rerun the installer. The installer will not overwrite your existing configuration files...they are left intact.

          It will however remove bpq32.dll from your c:\program file\bpq32\ folder (or whatever folder you choose) as it should.

          Ron, N5IN

          Ron Stordahl wrote:

          > Mark
          >
          > To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in
          > c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer. I then checked and
          > the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed. I then
          > did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as
          > write protected. Even then it was removed from the install directory.
          > About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently
          > assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even
          > if it was not. This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe
          > there is little I can do. It's only speculation of course.
          >
          > Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be
          > used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority. John would
          > have to verify this.
          >
          > So I am not sure what happened.
          >
          > Ron, N5IN

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Mark Harloff
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12 3:02 PM
            It did, all set. Just one instance now in the correct folder. Future
            updates via the installer should work fine. Thanks Ron.

            - Mark K2CAN