USING BPQ OCX WITH VISUAL BASIC 2010 OR LATER

  • David Bird
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
      I am new to the group and appreciated the thread on Telnet. I just got my configuration for Telnet running.

      My question is in regard to using the OCX - BPQCTRL.OCX with Visual Basic 2010 or later. I have looked at the documents
      with the BPQ distribution but they seem to be for an old version. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to include the BPQ services
      in a current Visual Basic project. If someone has done a recent project using this interface, an example would be great. Appreciate any help.

      David Bird
      WA7RYV
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
        David,

        I don't have VB2010, but with VB2005 I've found it better to call the API functions directly, rather than using the .ocx.  I've created a skeleton app, and uploaded to https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/DemoApp.zip

        I suspect this will work just as well with VB2010, but if you have any problems, or any queries on using the API, get back to me.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
          John,

          Thank you for the quick reply. Visual Basic 2010 converted the DemoApp without problem. I also downloaded the newest bpq32.dll (7/3/12) as suggested in another thread.

          This is what I discovered.

          DemoApp compiles and runs correctly with Visual Basic 2010 and Windows XP. I like the way it automatically loads BPQ32.

          DemoApp compiles correctly but fails with an exception in both Visual Basic 2010 and 2005 running under Windows 7. It gives the following error:
                   BADIMAGEFORMATEXCEPTION - An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. I even tried an old bpq32.dll (6/7/12)
                   with the same exception. Just making sure it was not a dll build problem.

          A quick look seems to indicates it is a problem with the 32-bit bpq32.dll loading to 64-bit Windows. There is a way to correct this exception, I will investigate that further.

          So, I have the DemoApp running under XP and can use your skeleton for other applications. Thanks!

          73,
          Dave

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
            Dave,

            I'm afraid I dont have a 64 bit system here, so I can't help with looking into this. Is there a way to get VB to create a 32 bit program, even when running on 64 bit windows? If you compile the demo on Xp, will it run on the 64 bit system?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
              John,

              In VS2010 if you compile in x86 mode it will work on either a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows platform.  You can target to just 64 bit systems x64 but few programs would show much improvement and then you have to main two installs one for 32 and one for 64 bit. In VS2010 you select this under advanced compile options.

              Rick KN6KB

              Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 4:52 PM

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2012
                Thanks, Rick.

                I have a 64 bit Win7 system at my QTH in Scotland, so I'll do some experiments with that.

                73, John

                Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 4:52 PM

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2012
                  John,

                  According to the support page, you can select whether Visual Basic Express 2010 creates 32 or 64 bit code under: Target Platform. I of course followed the recommended procedure and it didn't work. After a long search, I found the selection but it was "grayed" out. I noticed that .Net 4.0 was selected so I selected .Net 3.0 and the selection became active but the recommended "x86" platform option was not included only the "Any CPU" which is causing the problem. I do not intend to pursue it any further.

                  I have your demo working and am expanding it to a full interface for my specific needs. I am using the bpq32.dll as noted in your demo. I noticed another thread which offered an alternative. I found I had to manually install dpq32.dll to the Windows system32 folder and then it worked fine. I judge my original problem was that I did not have the correct declarations. I presume the demo includes "All" of the available dll routines.

                  As a side note, the www.f6fbb.org site is now working and seems to be allowing download access and email updates. This site has been inoperative for sometime. I am using FBB and this is encouraging.

                  73, Dave

                  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 4:52 PM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2012
                    Dave,

                    Yes, if you install a new version of bpq32.dll you have to put it in the system32 folder.

                    The sample doesn't include all the API functions. I copied it from a working project, but it mainly includes the calls needed by that project. I've uploaded the latest bpq32.h to https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32.h, but I suspect even that doesn't include all the available functions, and some that are included aren't documented. When I have a bit of time I'll update the API documentation, and create a VB mapping for all the functions.

                    73, John

                    Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 4:52 PM