RE: [BPQ32] Re: Winmor TNC Whack-a-Mole (Outpost Issue?)

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
      I recently found  an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it fixes the problem.

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
        My theory seems to have a hole in it. The same person (now using Outpost 2.4) sent a message this AM and my BPQ32 crashed again.

        I looked at the details in the Windows error report (unfortunately can't copy and paste from it) but at the very bottom were the words:
        switch
        BPQ32 Corrupt Ra
        w Message len=xx.xx...

        Now, someone did mention to me back along an issue with the long lines in the body. I'll see if that's the issue.

        I'd be happy to try the test version.

        Steve

        > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
        > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
        > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
        > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
        > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
        > fixes the problem.

      • Alpacas
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
          John, Steve...

          That same message was in the Windows error report when I experienced
          crashes. My crashes occurred when there was only one addressee in the TO
          field.

          Jess W0ECM.

        • shansen@belljar.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
            Hi Ken,

            It was 2.6c027

            Steve KB1TCE

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > Did the party go to the Outpost website and re-download the very
            > latest version Outpost??? The first release of version 2.6 had
            > an issue with telnet into BPQ. The latest release of Outpost
            > 2.6c027 should have fixed the telnet issue....
            >
            > Ken KD6PGI

          • kb1tce
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
              Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

              We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

              That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

              We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

              Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

              73,
              Steve KB1TCE

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                Thanks, Steve.

                That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                  John,

                  I should have some time to work with it tomorrow.

                  Thanks much,
                  Steve KB1TCE

                  > Thanks, Steve.
                  >
                  > That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with
                  > long
                  > lines.
                  >
                  > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32.zip
                  >
                  > Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                • Ken Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                    I confirmed that long lines from Outpost were crashing BPQ as well. The new code seems to have fixed the long lines from Outpost. I tested a msg with almost 3k in a single line with no crash.

                    Ken

                    On 07/01/2012 02:07 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

                    Thanks, Steve.

                    That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                    Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                    Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                    We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                    That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                    We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                    Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                    73,
                    Steve KB1TCE

                    > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
                    > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                    > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
                    > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                    > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
                    > fixes the problem.

                  • kb1tce
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 2, 2012
                      John (and Ken),

                      It works here also. I took the offending message from before and no issues after installing the new dll file.

                      Thanks so much,
                      Steve KB1TCE

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 6, 2012
                        The BPQ32.dll I uploaded last week was not built correctly, and may cause stability problems with some confgurations. If you installed it. plese replace with this:

                        73, John

                        That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                        Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                        Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                        We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                        That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                        We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                        Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                        73,
                        Steve KB1TCE

                        > I recently found an error in the
                        Telnet code which could cause a problem
                        > with sending messages from
                        Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                        > 30, depending on the
                        length of each address). It could also cause problems
                        > with very long
                        lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                        > either
                        could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it

                        fixes the problem.

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 6, 2012
                          John,

                          I had one crash shortly after installing the new dll but it's been ok since (1 week and counting). It also helps that the telnet users have gotten some carriage return religion.

                          I'll install the new dll today.

                          Thanks again,
                          Steve KB1TCE

                          On 7/6/2012 6:20 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                          The BPQ32.dll I uploaded last week was not built correctly, and may cause stability problems with some confgurations. If you installed it. plese replace with this:

                          73, John

                          That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                          Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                          Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                          We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                          That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                          We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                          Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                          73,
                          Steve KB1TCE

                          > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
                          > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                          > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
                          > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                          > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
                          > fixes the problem.

                        • Steve