Winmor TNC Whack-a-Mole

  • kb1tce
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
      Something strange happened overnight and W0ECM is seeing the same thing. This morning I saw a Windows error note that BPQ32 had encountered and error and had to close. I restarted BOQ32.exe and two Winmor TNCs popped up. I then got an error (port in use) and BPQ32 closed. BPQ32 then restarted by itself and I got the same error.

      Checking Task Manager I saw up to 3 Winmor TNCs and every time I tried to close one, I got another.

      After a couple of reboots and seeing the same issue I rebooted again and did a fresh reinstall. The problem seems to have gone away (3 hrs since the reinstall). However, I did uncheck the close and restart TNC after each connection item.

      Things that are in common between W0ECM and myself are the basic config file and that we downloaded the latest BPQ32 version at about the same time.

      73,
      Steve KB1TCE
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
        Steve

        I have seen similar, if and when this happens again and after closing all
        BPQ programs and Winmor check the Task manager, more then likely one or
        More of the programs are still running and you will need to force then to
        Close.

        I am surprised to see that a computer reboot did not solve the problem,
        I have been having the problem with Google Chrome or IE-8 seems to start
        The problem, other times I have seen this is after doing a RE-Read of the
        Bpq32.cfg, it does not usually happen right a way but May happen with in
        15 Minutes to an Hour, if the problem continues I would suggest you send
        John G8BPQ the Debug.log of BPQ if it shows any errors.

        Mike-N9PMO

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
          So far so good today. I haven't gotten up the courage yet to put the close/restart TNC option back in place.

          I looked through the error logs in MailChat and nothing (as expected) was there. The logs for the Winmor TNC just showed the multiple instances on a single port. Where is Debug.log located?

          I have seen over the past year one or two instances of BPQ32.exe running that I could only get rid of with the task manager. This wasn't the same. In the case of the multiple Winmor TNCs, any attempt to close one just resulted in another popping up - up to 3 running.

          What's really strange is that W0ECM had the same issue at just about the same time and we're half a continent apart. He did a reinstall as I did and it cleared up (as far as I know).

          Not a full moon is it?

          73,
          Steve KB1TCE

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
            The Debug.log should be located in the Program File\BPQ32 Directory,
            This will be where most of the .EXE are stored.

            Mike-N9PMO
            So far so good today. I haven't gotten up the courage yet to put the
            close/restart TNC option back in place.

            I looked through the error logs in MailChat and nothing (as expected) was
            there. The logs for the Winmor TNC just showed the multiple instances on a
            single port. Where is Debug.log located?

            I have seen over the past year one or two instances of BPQ32.exe running
            that I could only get rid of with the task manager. This wasn't the same. In
            the case of the multiple Winmor TNCs, any attempt to close one just resulted
            in another popping up - up to 3 running.

            What's really strange is that W0ECM had the same issue at just about the
            same time and we're half a continent apart. He did a reinstall as I did and
            it cleared up (as far as I know).

            Not a full moon is it?

            73,
            Steve KB1TCE

            > Steve
            >
            > I have seen similar, if and when this happens again and after closing all
            > BPQ programs and Winmor check the Task manager, more then likely one or
            > More of the programs are still running and you will need to force then to
            > Close.
            >
            > I am surprised to see that a computer reboot did not solve the problem,
            > I have been having the problem with Google Chrome or IE-8 seems to start
            > The problem, other times I have seen this is after doing a RE-Read of the
            > Bpq32.cfg, it does not usually happen right a way but May happen with in
            > 15 Minutes to an Hour, if the problem continues I would suggest you send
            > John G8BPQ the Debug.log of BPQ if it shows any errors.
            >
            > Mike-N9PMO
            > www.n9pmo.com

          • kb1tce
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
              Hmmm...nope. There's a TelnetServer.log but that's the only log file. I looked in the Related Files folder and found nothing.

              > The Debug.log should be located in the Program File\BPQ32 Directory,
              > This will be where most of the .EXE are stored.
              >
              > Mike-N9PMO
              > www.n9pmo.com
            • kb9rrx2002
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
                What version of windows are you running? It's possible the log is in a different location under xp and up.

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kb1tce" <shansen@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm...nope. There's a TelnetServer.log but that's the only log file. I looked in the Related Files folder and found nothing.
                >

                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Melnik" <mmelnik1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The Debug.log should be located in the Program File\BPQ32 Directory,
                > > This will be where most of the .EXE are stored.
                > >
                > > Mike-N9PMO
                > > www.n9pmo.com

              • kb1tce
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
                  I'm running XP.

                  Steve KB1TCE

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 29, 2012
                    Steve

                    Go to Start All Programs, BPQ32, You should see View Configuration folder
                    In addition, View Program Folder, I think you will find the Debug_log in
                    the View Configuration folder.

                    By default some parts are placed in the Programs Files, BPQ32 Folder,
                    The second part is placed in Document & Setting, Computer User Name,
                    Application Data, BPQ32 this is known as the Configuration Folder.

                    There will also be a Debug_log in the MailChat folder as you have mentioned.

                    Let us know if this helped locate the master Debug_log file.

                    73

                    Mike-N9PMO
                    www.n9pmo.com
                    BPQ32 Group Moderator.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 30, 2012
                      The only debug logs maintained by BPQ are the Mail and Chat debug logs, which are not relevant to problems with the WINMOR TNC.

                      BPQ32 logs some debugging information which may help to DebugView (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx),

                      If you enable debug logging in the WINMOR TNC Basic Setup, it creats a debug log in the TNC Logs folder. This is primarily for the developers of the TNC, but it may give you some clue as to what is happening.

                      If you get in a state when either BPQ32 programs or the TNC are continually restarting, use Task Manager to kill porgrams in the following order:

                      All programs using BPQ32 except bpq32.exe. This may include non-BPQ programs such as FBB and UIView32.
                      bpq32.exe
                      WINMOR TNC.exe

                      It is particuarly important that bpq32.exe is the last of the bpq32 programs to be killed, or it will be restarted by the programs that are still running.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 30, 2012
                        I woke this AM to find BPQ32 closed again with the Windows error message. I used the sequence you detail below to close MailChat, Terminal and the TNC and it went fine with no TNC popups.

                        Now, one of my users (a new one) logged on with telnet very early this morning. He connected fine and very shortly thereafter he tried again and got a "cannot connect" message. It turns out that the same thing happened the night before, when I had the problem first time around.

                        The timing is interesting. However, it doesn't explain why W0ECM saw the same thing on his BBS. But - he did mention to me yesterday that logging in locally with Outpost did cause a crash at one point during the day.

                        So, it appears that the TNC multiplication had to do with my shut down sequence and isn't the issue, it's perhaps telnet related with (maybe) one particular person.

                        73,
                        Steve

                        > The only debug logs maintained by BPQ are the Mail and Chat debug logs,
                        > which are not relevant to problems with the WINMOR TNC.
                        >
                        > BPQ32 logs some debugging information which may help to DebugView (
                        > <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx>
                        > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx),
                        >
                        > If you enable debug logging in the WINMOR TNC Basic Setup, it creats a debug
                        > log in the TNC Logs folder. This is primarily for the developers of the TNC,
                        > but it may give you some clue as to what is happening.
                        >
                        > If you get in a state when either BPQ32 programs or the TNC are continually
                        > restarting, use Task Manager to kill porgrams in the following order:
                        >
                        > All programs using BPQ32 except bpq32.exe. This may include non-BPQ programs
                        > such as FBB and UIView32.
                        > bpq32.exe
                        > WINMOR TNC.exe
                        >
                        > It is particuarly important that bpq32.exe is the last of the bpq32 programs
                        > to be killed, or it will be restarted by the programs that are still
                        > running.

                      • kb1tce
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 30, 2012
                          Here's a quick update. The party who was causing the crashes when connecting via telnet to my BPQ32 BBS was using Outpost 2.6, the latest version. I use 2.4. I had him uninstall 2.6 and install 2.4. The problem seems to have gone away. We did multiple messages back and forth with no issue. Not overly scientific as there are no error logs and maybe he had an issue with his original install.

                          That said, W0ECM was running 2.5 locally with his BBS and seeing BPQ32 crashes when sending messages from his outbox. This AM he installed 2.6 and saw the same issue. This afternoon he did a full uninstall and then installed the older Outpost 2.4. Problem seems to have gone away.

                          Is anyone using Outpost with their BPQ32 installation and seeing anything similar with the more recent versions of Outpost?

                          73,
                          Steve KB1TCE
                        • Ken Jacobs
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 30, 2012
                            Hi Steve,

                            Did the party go to the Outpost website and re-download the very latest version Outpost??? The first release of version 2.6 had an issue with telnet into BPQ. The latest release of Outpost 2.6c027
                            should have fixed the telnet issue....

                            Ken KD6PGI

[...]

                          • Alpacas
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 30, 2012
                              Ken...

                              I had the other instance of failure.  My load was 2.6 c27 and it crashed BPQ anytime I did a send/receive from Outpost WITH A MESSAGE IN THE OUTBOX.  If I did the send/receive with NO message in the outbox it did not crash BPQ.

                              Back to 2.4 right now and all is well.

                              Jess  W0ECM

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                  I recently found  an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it fixes the problem.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                    My theory seems to have a hole in it. The same person (now using Outpost 2.4) sent a message this AM and my BPQ32 crashed again.

                                    I looked at the details in the Windows error report (unfortunately can't copy and paste from it) but at the very bottom were the words:
                                    switch
                                    BPQ32 Corrupt Ra
                                    w Message len=xx.xx...

                                    Now, someone did mention to me back along an issue with the long lines in the body. I'll see if that's the issue.

                                    I'd be happy to try the test version.

                                    Steve

                                    > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
                                    > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                                    > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
                                    > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                                    > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
                                    > fixes the problem.

                                  • Alpacas
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                      John, Steve...

                                      That same message was in the Windows error report when I experienced
                                      crashes. My crashes occurred when there was only one addressee in the TO
                                      field.

                                      Jess W0ECM.

                                    • shansen@belljar.net
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                        Hi Ken,

                                        It was 2.6c027

                                        Steve KB1TCE

                                        > Hi Steve,
                                        >
                                        > Did the party go to the Outpost website and re-download the very
                                        > latest version Outpost??? The first release of version 2.6 had
                                        > an issue with telnet into BPQ. The latest release of Outpost
                                        > 2.6c027 should have fixed the telnet issue....
                                        >
                                        > Ken KD6PGI

                                      • kb1tce
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                          Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                                          We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                                          That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                                          We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                                          Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                            Thanks, Steve.

                                            That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                                            Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                              John,

                                              I should have some time to work with it tomorrow.

                                              Thanks much,
                                              Steve KB1TCE

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
                                                I confirmed that long lines from Outpost were crashing BPQ as well. The new code seems to have fixed the long lines from Outpost. I tested a msg with almost 3k in a single line with no crash.

                                                Ken

                                                On 07/01/2012 02:07 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

                                                Thanks, Steve.

                                                That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                                                Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                                                Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                                                We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                                                That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                                                We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                                                Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                                                73,
                                                Steve KB1TCE

                                                > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
                                                > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                                                > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
                                                > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                                                > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
                                                > fixes the problem.

                                              • kb1tce
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                  John (and Ken),

                                                  It works here also. I took the offending message from before and no issues after installing the new dll file.

                                                  Thanks so much,
                                                  Steve KB1TCE

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 6, 2012
                                                    The BPQ32.dll I uploaded last week was not built correctly, and may cause stability problems with some confgurations. If you installed it. plese replace with this:

                                                    73, John

                                                    That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                                                    Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                                                    Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                                                    We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                                                    That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                                                    We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                                                    Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                                                    73,
                                                    Steve KB1TCE

                                                    > I recently found an error in the
                                                    Telnet code which could cause a problem
                                                    > with sending messages from
                                                    Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                                                    > 30, depending on the
                                                    length of each address). It could also cause problems
                                                    > with very long
                                                    lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                                                    > either
                                                    could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it

                                                    fixes the problem.

                                                  • Steve
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 6, 2012
                                                      John,

                                                      I had one crash shortly after installing the new dll but it's been ok since (1 week and counting). It also helps that the telnet users have gotten some carriage return religion.

                                                      I'll install the new dll today.

                                                      Thanks again,
                                                      Steve KB1TCE

                                                      On 7/6/2012 6:20 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                                                      The BPQ32.dll I uploaded last week was not built correctly, and may cause stability problems with some confgurations. If you installed it. plese replace with this:

                                                      73, John

                                                      That is encouraging. Can you try this? - it should fix the problem with long lines.

                                                      Remember bpq32.dll goes in the system32 folder.

                                                      Well John, we're now thinking that's it.

                                                      We checked one of the messages from our "crasher" and it consisted of two lines. The second line by itself was about 500 words and 1000 bytes.

                                                      That message was crashing W0ECM's local BPQ32 when sending from Outpost. He had received it ok (by HF/Winmor) but when he tried to forward it to me he got the crash. He then inserted a pile of carriage returns and everything went fine.

                                                      We were fooling ourselves with the brief test messages on Outpost 2.4 because we didn't have messages that contained the real problem.

                                                      Hopefully that's it as far as the diagnosis goes. I would be quite willing to try your test version that addresses this.

                                                      73,
                                                      Steve KB1TCE

                                                      > I recently found an error in the Telnet code which could cause a problem
                                                      > with sending messages from Outpost with a very long list of TO calls (around
                                                      > 30, depending on the length of each address). It could also cause problems
                                                      > with very long lines (greater than 500 or so bytes) in the message body. If
                                                      > either could apply in your case I can send you a test version to see if it
                                                      > fixes the problem.

                                                    • Steve