BPQ32 v4.10c released today Dec 11, 2007

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
      BPQ32_410c_2007Dec11, a full new release of BPQ32, is available today in
      the files section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32.

      An alternate download site is

      ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.htm for the
      release document and

      ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.exe for the full
      installer/updater.

      Read section 7.18 11/Dec/2007 in the release document for more details.

      Ron Stordahl, N5IN
    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
        Ron / John,

        Just an 'fyi'.. The version number as shown with that command (or the
        'User' command) produces 4.10a (not 'c'). No big deal but I thought it
        best to point it out.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Ron Stordahl N5IN wrote:

        > BPQ32_410c_2007Dec11, a full new release of BPQ32, is available today in
        > the files section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32.
        >
        > An alternate download site is
        >
        > ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.htm
        > <ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.htm> for the
        > release document and
        >
        > ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.exe
        > <ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases/bpq32_410c_2007Dec11.exe> for the full
        > installer/updater.
        >
        > Read section 7.18 11/Dec/2007 in the release document for more details.
        >
        > Ron Stordahl, N5IN
      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
          It would have been a miracle if I didn't make some errors!  Ill fix that tomorrow.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
            Mark,

            I'm pretty sure the version is correct. It may be that you still have an old bpq32.dll in the windows directory. Ron now installs it in the system directory and removes it from the install diectory, but there could still be other copies left. The new version shows the location from which it was loaded at the top of the console window.

            I've posted this to the group, as it could affect others.

            Ron Stordahl N5IN wrote:

            > BPQ32_410c_2007Dec1 1, a full new release of BPQ32, is available today in
            > the files section of http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BPQ32.
            > <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BPQ32.>
            >
            > An alternate download site is
            >
            > ftp://dxspots. com/bpq32_ releases/ bpq32_410c_ 2007Dec11. htm
            > <ftp://dxspots. com/bpq32_ releases/ bpq32_410c_ 2007Dec11. htm> for the
            > release document and
            >
            > ftp://dxspots. com/bpq32_ releases/ bpq32_410c_ 2007Dec11. exe
            > <ftp://dxspots. com/bpq32_ releases/ bpq32_410c_ 2007Dec11. exe> for the full
            > installer/updater.
            >
            > Read section 7.18 11/Dec/2007 in the release document for more details.
            >
            > Ron Stordahl, N5IN

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
              John,

              You are correct, partially. It looks like Ron's loader installed it in
              the windows\system32 directory since that is where it got extracted to
              when I ran his loader. The 'original' copy was still in the program
              files\bpq32 subdirectory so BPQ used that one when it loaded. I removed
              that one and moved the new one. The version now shows correctly using
              both commands.

              Thanks.

              - Mark

              John Wiseman wrote:

              > Mark,
              >
              > I'm pretty sure the version is correct. It may be that you still have an
              > old bpq32.dll in the windows directory. Ron now installs it in the
              > system directory and removes it from the install diectory, but there
              > could still be other copies left. The new version shows the location
              > from which it was loaded at the top of the console window.
              >
              > I've posted this to the group, as it could affect others.

            • Ron Stordahl
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
                Mark

                To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer.  I then checked and the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed.  I then did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as write protected.  Even then it was removed from the install directory.  About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even if it was not.  This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe there is little I can do.  It's only speculation of course.

                Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority.  John would have to verify this.

                So I am not sure what happened.

                Ron, N5IN

              • Mark Harloff
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
                  Ron,

                  Right now I have only One copy on the machine here. It's in c:\programs
                  files\bpq32, there are no other copies anywhere on the drive.

                  When I reboot the machine, bpq auto starts perfectly every time. So, it
                  must be using the dll in that location. Not sure what is going on but it
                  is working ok.

                  I may have confused you (and myself) earlier. When I ran your installer
                  it wrote the 'new' dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder. I then moved
                  that file over to c:\program files\bpq32 and wrote over the older file
                  that was there. At that point there was only one bpq32.dll file on this
                  machine. I rebooted the machine and bpq auto started and ran fine.

                  This still doesn't explain exactly why that file needs to be in the
                  windows subdir. But, in any event, it works with it in a different location.

                  - Mark K2CAN

                  Ron Stordahl wrote:

                  > Mark
                  >
                  > To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in
                  > c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer. I then checked and
                  > the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed. I then
                  > did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as
                  > write protected. Even then it was removed from the install directory.
                  > About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently
                  > assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even
                  > if it was not. This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe
                  > there is little I can do. It's only speculation of course.
                  >
                  > Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be
                  > used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority. John would
                  > have to verify this.
                  >
                  > So I am not sure what happened.
                  >
                  > Ron, N5IN

                • Ron Stordahl
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
                    Mark

                    I would reboot, and then rerun the installer. The installer will not overwrite your existing configuration files...they are left intact.

                    It will however remove bpq32.dll from your c:\program file\bpq32\ folder (or whatever folder you choose) as it should.

                    Ron, N5IN

                    Ron Stordahl wrote:

                    > Mark
                    >
                    > To test what you have described, I placed a copy of bpq32.dll in
                    > c:\program files\bpq32 and then ran the installer. I then checked and
                    > the bpq32.dll I had placed in that directory had been removed. I then
                    > did it again, this time I marked bpq32.dll in the install directy as
                    > write protected. Even then it was removed from the install directory.
                    > About all I can think of is that somehow the file was currently
                    > assigned, or it is possible that the OS had it marked as assigned, even
                    > if it was not. This would be a rare occurrence about which I believe
                    > there is little I can do. It's only speculation of course.
                    >
                    > Even if a copy were left in c:\program files\bpq32 it should not be
                    > used, rather the copy in the systems folder has priority. John would
                    > have to verify this.
                    >
                    > So I am not sure what happened.
                    >
                    > Ron, N5IN

                    > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                  • Mark Harloff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
                      It did, all set. Just one instance now in the correct folder. Future
                      updates via the installer should work fine. Thanks Ron.

                      - Mark K2CAN