RE: [BPQ32] Re: Airmail using BPQ on a Kenwood 710

  • N9ACQ
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19 12:05 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 8 KB
    First Airmail is not a WL2K gateway program. It also is a WL2K
    client, like RMS Express. Second the Airmail station you are trying to
    connect to needs to be configured to allow connections from other stations.
    Look at the Auto-answer settings. Third you probably need to use RMS Express
    P-P connection, with message posted for P-P transfer.
    You can by defining a virtual COM port in BPQ and have Airmail use
    that COM port, Then big question is will BPQ support the D710 properly? You
    might be better off just getting an old KPC-3, rather than configuring BPQ
    and all the support it will require.

    More important what are you specifically attempting to accomplish.
    This sounds like classic packet BBS operation, but with B2F compression and
    attachments.

    Now to the original problem. Does the D710 indicate it is in packet
    mode? Can you make a packet connection to a real RMS Packet station? Using
    the Simple Terminal Program can you make a connection to another classic
    packet station? If you monitor the frequency cad you hear packets in both
    directions?
    73 Bill
    N9ACQ
  • Bruce W. Harris
    Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19 3:03 PM
      Hello, Bill. This is Bruce in Dallas, Texas. I see that you made it to Arkansas.
      How have you been doing?

      Sure do miss your BPQ tutoring. Eventually, I got bogged down and had to search
      For help from Ken, KD6PGI.

      I hope you receive this all ok.

      Bruce and Bonnie @ sbcglobal.net

      Sent from my Ipad2.
    • bolt637
      Message 3 of 10 , Jun 27 11:14 AM
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "N9ACQ" <n9acq@...> wrote:

        > Use Paclink or RMS Express. Airmail is not maintained by the WDT.
        >
        > 73 Bill
        >
        > N9ACQ

        I'm just curious about what has changed
        with WinLink that makes Airmail obsolete.
        Airmail is finished and fully featured, RMS express
        is a work in progress. For example airmail supports message
        resume. If you have a 30k FAX image transferring and you get
        disconnected, just find another RMS or reconnect
        and finish where you left off. Airmail has a full
        featured GRIB viewer, no Trialware required for gribs.
        With BPQ Airmail can do any method BPQ offers, including
        WinMor and Robust packet, and supports Robust packet with all controllers, not just the tracker. And with KISS you can use
        airmail with older TNC's and modern soundcard Like the MFJ1270
        and mixW.

        RMS express is definitely express. It's easy
        to setup and a breeze to use, especially with
        realtime frequency list updates. ANd they keep adding
        to it all the time. Now it has the full winlink catalog,
        and a grib requestor with interactive map.

        I just wouldn't retire airmail just yet. The author
        still answers tech support questions.

        Steven - N1OHX
      • N9ACQ
        Message 4 of 10 , Jun 27 11:54 AM

          Steve

                          One I did not say AirMail is obsolete. And yes with BPQ you can have all sorts of other capabilities, same with Paclink. Would you encourage a new user, that may also be new to digital and packet, to install and configure BPQ in their own.

          Does Airmail support P-4, AGW, KISS mode TNC’s, WINMOR, scripting, Predefined channels with priority, Etc. Airmail is great for SailMail and NTSD MBO connections or P-P connections with routing tables. It is the only client that can connect both to Winlink classic and WL2K. According to the Airmail web site 3.4.062 is still in beta 18 months after I downloaded it. I have 3 different versions on Airmail installed on 3 different OS’s and used it for HF WK2K before Paclink MP was released. Many operators are installing Airmail to use WINMOR for WL2K and for then RMS Express is the easiest client to configure. Personally I prefer Paclink w/ BPQ but I do not use the same features that you require.

          73 Bill

          N9ACQ