Airmail using BPQ on a Kenwood 710

  • thebaltee
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
      Good Day All,

      I'm new to this group, so this is my first post here.

      I'm looking to set up this software with Airmail and my Kenwood 710. I've found the details for setting it up Airmail with Winmor and BPQ, but am looking to go direct from Airmail to the Kenwood built in TNC.
      I have airmail recognizing the bpq32 via the agw, but any assistance would be great please for the Kenwood config for BPQ. I'm using Com1 to connect to the Kenwood.

      73's
    • Dave Webb
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
        While receiving a bulletin from another station, BPQ responded with a
        "protocol error".
        I did see in my log that I was also connected to an unresponsive RMS
        Packet. Has anyone else notice a problem like this?
        Propigation to the other station was good. This was via HF using Pactor
        I. His modem is the SCS, mine is the AEA PK232.

        My RMS Packet log shows a normal connect and disconnect at 18:54 then no
        connects for the hourly poll for the 20:00 hour but resumed at 21:04 hours.

        Both log segments included below.
        73
        Dave AFA2HV/WB2HVF

        Log from my station AFC2MC in NJ.

        120618 18:54:50 |RMS Connecting to BBS RMS
        120618 18:54:50 <RMS *** CONNECTED
        120618 18:54:50 >RMS C 6 AFC2MC-10
        120618 18:54:50 <RMS NJBEV:AFC2MC-2} Connected to RMSPACKET
        120618 18:54:53 <RMS [WL2K-2.7.3.3-B2FWIHJM$]
        120618 18:54:54 <RMS ;PQ: 78366076
        120618 18:54:54 <RMS Perth CMS via AFC2MC-10 >
        120618 18:54:54 >RMS ;FW: AFC2MC AFA2HV AFA4DA WB2HVF
        120618 18:54:54 >RMS [BPQ-1.4.51.1-B2FIHJM$]
        120618 18:54:54 >RMS FF
        120618 18:54:55 <RMS FQ
        120618 18:54:55 |RMS RMS Disconnected
        120618 19:54:50 |RMS Connecting to BBS RMS
        120618 19:54:50 <RMS *** CONNECTED
        120618 19:54:50 >RMS C 6 AFC2MC-10
        120618 19:54:50 <RMS NJBEV:AFC2MC-2} Connected to RMSPACKET
        120618 20:03:44 |AFB2MC Incoming Connect from AFB2MC
        120618 20:03:44 >AFB2MC [BPQ-1.4.51.1-B2FWIHJM$]
        120618 20:03:44 >AFB2MC HELLO Jim.
        120618 20:03:44 >AFB2MC de AFC2MC>
        120618 20:04:01 <AFB2MC [BPQ-1.0.4.46-B2FIHJM$]
        120618 20:04:06 <AFB2MC FC EM 137_AFB2MC 1393 798 AFA2AS CONUS ALL
        120618 20:04:06 <AFB2MC F> 0C
        120618 20:04:06 >AFB2MC FS Y
        120618 20:04:11 >AFB2MC *** Protocol Error - Invalid Binary Message
        Format (Invalid Block Type)
        120618 20:04:12 >AFB2MC *** Protocol Error - Invalid Binary Message
        Format (Invalid Block Type)
        120618 20:04:14 >AFB2MC *** Protocol Error - Invalid Binary Message
        Format (Invalid Block Type)
        120618 20:04:16 |AFB2MC AFB2MC Disconnected
        120618 20:08:10 |RMS RMS Disconnected

        Log from NY station AFB2MC.

        120618 20:03:43 |AFC2MC Connecting to BBS AFC2MC
        120618 20:03:43 <AFC2MC *** CONNECTED
        120618 20:03:43 >AFC2MC ATT 3
        120618 20:03:44 <AFC2MC NYROCH:AFB2MC-13} Ok
        120618 20:03:44 >AFC2MC RADIO 6.775 USB
        120618 20:03:45 <AFC2MC Mode and Frequency Set OK
        120618 20:03:45 >AFC2MC C AFC2MC
        120618 20:03:47 <AFC2MC *** Connected to AFC2MC
        120618 20:03:53 <AFC2MC ARQT 30
        120618 20:03:53 <AFC2MC PARITY 0
        120618 20:03:55 <AFC2MC 8BITCONV ON
        120618 20:03:55 <AFC2MC ACRRTTY 0
        120618 20:03:57 <AFC2MC ARQT 45
        120618 20:03:57 <AFC2MC AUTOBAUD OFF
        120618 20:03:58 <AFC2MC CONMODE TRANS
        120618 20:03:59 <AFC2MC FLOW OFF
        120618 20:03:59 <AFC2MC RXREV OFF
        120618 20:04:00 <AFC2MC [BPQ-1.4.51.1-B2FWIHJM$]
        120618 20:04:02 <AFC2MC HELLO Jim. de AFC2MC>
        120618 20:04:02 >AFC2MC [BPQ-1.0.4.46-B2FIHJM$]
        120618 20:04:02 ?AFC2MC B2 From AFA2AS
        120618 20:04:02 ?AFC2MC B2 From - Local User
        120618 20:04:02 ?AFC2MC B2 From Finally AFA2AS@AFB2MC
        120618 20:04:02 | Compressed Message Comp Len 798 Msg Len 1393
        CRC 40b3
        120618 20:04:02 >AFC2MC FC EM 137_AFB2MC 1393 798 AFA2AS CONUS ALL
        120618 20:04:02 >AFC2MC F> 0C
        120618 20:04:14 <AFC2MC FS Y
        120618 20:04:14 >AFC2MC *** Protocol Error - Line should start with 'F'
        120618 20:04:14 |AFC2MC AFC2MC Disconnected
      • N9ACQ
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012

          Use Paclink or RMS Express. Airmail is not maintained by the WDT.

          73 Bill

          N9ACQ

        • thebaltee
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
            Thank you Bill. Yes, I realize that Airmail is not maintained, but our local group is using Airmail and if at all possible, I'd like to use BPQ and the Kenwood to do the same. I do use RMS as well personally and it works just fine as it has kenwood 710 settings built in, but I cannot seem to get the RMS Express to talk to an airmail station to send mail to it....

            I believe i've placed in the correct settings for the modem, but the problem is the software is just not initiating the radio into actual transmit with it's built in tnc...

            73's

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "N9ACQ" <n9acq@...> wrote:

            > Use Paclink or RMS Express. Airmail is not maintained by the WDT.
            >
            > 73 Bill
            >
            > N9ACQ

          • Ken Jacobs
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
              Hello,

              Without looking at your BPQ32.cfg file....you may be missing this in your KISS port to the Kenwood......

              KISSOPTIONS=D700

              Double check that this line is in your port to the Kenwood. You could also PM your BPQ32.cfg to me and I can check it over.

              Ken KD6PGI

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
                The simplest way is probably to set up following the Airmail to WINMOR
                instructions, and then replace the WINMOR port definition with a KISS port.
                There are examples of KISS configs in the docs, but the following should get
                you going

                PORT
                ID=D710
                TYPE=ASYNC
                PROTOCOL=KISS
                COMPORT=1
                SPEED=9600
                CHANNEL=A
                QUALITY=0
                MAXFRAME=2
                FRACK=7000
                RESPTIME=3000
                RETRIES=10
                PACLEN=128
                TXDELAY=500
                SLOTTIME=100
                PERSIST=64

                KISSOPTIONS=D700

                ENDPORT

                Note the KISSOPTIONS=D700. This is needed with all the Kenwood VHF radios
                with built in TNCs, to prevent certain data patterns taking the TNC out of
                KISS mode.

                The TNC must be placed in KISS mode before starting BPQ32.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2012
                • 1 Attachment
                • 8 KB
                First Airmail is not a WL2K gateway program. It also is a WL2K
                client, like RMS Express. Second the Airmail station you are trying to
                connect to needs to be configured to allow connections from other stations.
                Look at the Auto-answer settings. Third you probably need to use RMS Express
                P-P connection, with message posted for P-P transfer.
                You can by defining a virtual COM port in BPQ and have Airmail use
                that COM port, Then big question is will BPQ support the D710 properly? You
                might be better off just getting an old KPC-3, rather than configuring BPQ
                and all the support it will require.

                More important what are you specifically attempting to accomplish.
                This sounds like classic packet BBS operation, but with B2F compression and
                attachments.

                Now to the original problem. Does the D710 indicate it is in packet
                mode? Can you make a packet connection to a real RMS Packet station? Using
                the Simple Terminal Program can you make a connection to another classic
                packet station? If you monitor the frequency cad you hear packets in both
                directions?
                73 Bill
                N9ACQ
              • Bruce W. Harris
                Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2012
                  Hello, Bill. This is Bruce in Dallas, Texas. I see that you made it to Arkansas.
                  How have you been doing?

                  Sure do miss your BPQ tutoring. Eventually, I got bogged down and had to search
                  For help from Ken, KD6PGI.

                  I hope you receive this all ok.

                  Bruce and Bonnie @ sbcglobal.net

                  Sent from my Ipad2.
                • bolt637
                  Message 9 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "N9ACQ" <n9acq@...> wrote:

                    > Use Paclink or RMS Express. Airmail is not maintained by the WDT.
                    >
                    > 73 Bill
                    >
                    > N9ACQ

                    I'm just curious about what has changed
                    with WinLink that makes Airmail obsolete.
                    Airmail is finished and fully featured, RMS express
                    is a work in progress. For example airmail supports message
                    resume. If you have a 30k FAX image transferring and you get
                    disconnected, just find another RMS or reconnect
                    and finish where you left off. Airmail has a full
                    featured GRIB viewer, no Trialware required for gribs.
                    With BPQ Airmail can do any method BPQ offers, including
                    WinMor and Robust packet, and supports Robust packet with all controllers, not just the tracker. And with KISS you can use
                    airmail with older TNC's and modern soundcard Like the MFJ1270
                    and mixW.

                    RMS express is definitely express. It's easy
                    to setup and a breeze to use, especially with
                    realtime frequency list updates. ANd they keep adding
                    to it all the time. Now it has the full winlink catalog,
                    and a grib requestor with interactive map.

                    I just wouldn't retire airmail just yet. The author
                    still answers tech support questions.

                    Steven - N1OHX
                  • N9ACQ
                    Message 10 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012

                      Steve

                                      One I did not say AirMail is obsolete. And yes with BPQ you can have all sorts of other capabilities, same with Paclink. Would you encourage a new user, that may also be new to digital and packet, to install and configure BPQ in their own.

                      Does Airmail support P-4, AGW, KISS mode TNC’s, WINMOR, scripting, Predefined channels with priority, Etc. Airmail is great for SailMail and NTSD MBO connections or P-P connections with routing tables. It is the only client that can connect both to Winlink classic and WL2K. According to the Airmail web site 3.4.062 is still in beta 18 months after I downloaded it. I have 3 different versions on Airmail installed on 3 different OS’s and used it for HF WK2K before Paclink MP was released. Many operators are installing Airmail to use WINMOR for WL2K and for then RMS Express is the easiest client to configure. Personally I prefer Paclink w/ BPQ but I do not use the same features that you require.

                      73 Bill

                      N9ACQ