BPQ32_5.2.7.1_20120608 including BPQAPRS is now available.

  • n5in_ron
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012

      This release updates BPQ32.dll, BPQMailChat.exe, BPQTermTCP.exe, BPQTerminal.exe and BPQAPRS.exe.

      BPQAPRS is an APRS mapping and messaging application first introduced in BPQ32_5.2.4.1_20120130.  BPQAPRS at its current state of development is a viable replacement for UIView32 for many users and in addition is under active development to add additional capability.  The BPQ32 digipeater is "New n-N Paradigm " compliant and provides enough objects to fully support the Local Info Initiative.    A configuration example is provided to quickly get you 'on the air'.  The BPQAPRS program provides mapping using the on-line OpenStreetMap  and reliable messaging, to the degree this is possible, with the existing infrastructure.

      This release reorganizes the structure of the BPQ32 program files directory by providing new shortcuts for the various BPQ32 modules.  The new shortcuts are contained in %ProgramFiles%\BPQ32\ShortCuts. Because the folder %ProgramFiles%\BPQ32\BPQMailChat no longer exists any of your existing shortcuts pointing to BPQMailChat.exe in that nonexistent folder will fail.  An easy route to the ShortCuts folder is Start\All Programs\BPQ32\View Shortcut Folder which will open Windows Explorer to it.

      This change was forewarned in the BPQ32_5.2.6.1_201404 BPQ32 Yahoo Group message #8225 posting.

      As a reminder, in this release,you must have all of your configuration in BPQ32.cfg.

      BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018,was the last to support both the new method, all the configuration statements combined into BPQ32.cfg, as well as the old method of separate configuration files . If you currently have separate config files, a smooth transition to the new system would be to first install BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018, which you can find in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group, and make the changes to your configuration using that version.  Once successful, the subsequent upgrade to the new BPQ32_5.2.7.1_20120608 should proceed with ease.

      My new installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant installation to a Microsoft compliant installation.  In brief, Microsoft has been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that an installation be split in to a "program files" part and an "application data" part.  This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista and Windows 7.  Many programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this program' etc.  If you have used this workaround, you can, after installing this most recent release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your configuration, and then do a reinstall taking all the defaults.  The result will be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.  I intend to discuss this further in the BPQ32 Yahoo Group, which you will want to read before taking this step.

      Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.

      The changelog is here: http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog

      Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex N5IN)
    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012

        > A new release, BPQ32 5.2.7.1_20120608, for Windows, is available for
        > download at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

        Thank you John and Ron....

        It didn't make the front page but the new Web Server is IM!HO a great
        step forward. This is the interface of the future and this is a
        great start...

        http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQWebServer.htm

        73
        Bill - WA7NWP

> [...]
        > C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation, but the result is
        > annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this program' etc.  If you have
        > used this workaround, you can, after installing this most recent release, do
        > an uninstall, which will preserve your configuration, and then do a
        > reinstall taking all the defaults.  The result will be to divide your
        > installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.  I
        > intend to discuss this further in the BPQ32 Yahoo Group, which you will want
        > to read before taking this step.
        >
        > Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.
        >
        > The changelog is here:
        > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog
        >
        > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      • gervais fillion
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
          Hi Ron
          viable replacement for UIView32

          is it so easy to install as Uiview?
          73/s
          the big question,what are exactly the + to install it and replace uiview?

          Gervais

          To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012

            Hi all

            All up to date and working great!!! Thanks,..

            73 jerry

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012

              Gervais,

                              First I am not slamming UIVEW32 I ran it registered for years.. It performed admirably for me.

                              Just my opinion… It must be a personal choice, for sure.. But.. I have been running BPQAPRS for quite some time.. I like it!

              Pros..

              1)      Nice to have one installation to maintain.. BPQAPRS is part of the BPQ32 install and upgrade options.

              2)      Configurable to do all of what UIVIEW is capable of, may need to ask for help, but that is why this group exists... But To do everything UIVIEW has done.. i.e.. wx station data files easily passed along the APWS network. Etc.

              3)      Under active development (thanks JOHN)  like all of BPQ32. I have not seen an update to UIVIEW32 in years.  Ie future improvements via Wish Lists and the imagination…

              4)      It is not being forced upon anyone.. BPQ32 still supports working with UIVIEW32 .. When/if you are ready to switch applications, Documentation and help is available via this group.

              Cons

              1)      You do have to actively make changes to your system to accommodate the switch from UIVIEW32 to BPQAPRS.. But that would be true of any change in Applications that do a certain task.

              2)      ??? Ran out.

              73 Jerry N9LYA

              I would be glad to share my APRS section of my BPQ config…

              PS I am glad I switched.. J BPQ32 is on the Bleeding Edge of today’s Digital Ham Operators needs and wants...!!!

              Take the BPQWEB App. When work gave me a new Crackberry (Switched from a OPEN Smartphone to a CLOSED Crackberry) I lost the ability to telnet into my system, via my Mobile device. I asked John if there might be a way to access it via a Web Page.. He looked into it and that “Wish List Item” helped lead to the BPQWEB APP… I am sure there were other factors that lead to the Johns decision to develop that app..  Nice now all I have to do is Open a browser window and connect to w9bbs.no-ip.org:8080 and work my way in.. Add to favorites and whammo..  I can get in with ease..

              To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                No Jerry,
                NO Uiview is great ,i am using it has an Igate and it is great.
                it is normal in all software devleopment in some days and Uiview since his builder has dead and as far as i know when he died the code ,the center core of the software,died with him but thats all i know so without this knowledge it would be hard to improve uiview but there the programmer/devlopper couild talk here ,,,,.software evolve in various ways ,,,upgrades,,,

                Anyway BPQ32 is in devleopment ,Thanks John and all the guy's working on that.

                i may try it whit another pc just in case i blew something here ,,,,,,,,:-))

                my bbs use to be using BPQ32 here but i dont know if i could use one COM for the bbs tnc and my other COM2 for the APRS tnc!!!!!! so both programm could be using the same pc.

                anyhow i will finish my hospital treatment and later be back on packet with ve2rxy.

                again great job guy's,we can feel passion for the hobby here.

                73
                Gervais ve2ckn

                To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2012
                  Great. I have been using a beta release of BPQMailChat (thanks John) for the bulletin feature with RMS Express. It has worked out well. Good to see it as part of the newest release.

                  Steve KB1TCE

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n5in_ron" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

                  > A new release, BPQ32 5.2.7.1_20120608, for Windows, is available for
                  > download at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/
                  >
                  > This release updates BPQ32.dll, BPQMailChat.exe, BPQTermTCP.exe,
                  > BPQTerminal.exe and BPQAPRS.exe.
                • Daryll Webb
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 10, 2012
                    Howdy
                    I am seeing more trouble as time goes by with bpq stoping. Lock ups, ect. Alot of the times the rest of the pc still works ok jest bpq not responding. This last week and weekend has made up my mind.
                    My version is two or three versions from the last.
                    All of my config is in one file.
                    I don't want to screw up the new install with the latest version.
                    Can someone make sure I do it right?  Say bpq new install 101 hi hi
                    Buster kg9nd

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10, 2012

                      Buster..                I FOLLOWED Johns recommendation.. I have had all config in one place for some time.. I installed the latest version, uninstalled and reinstalled.. It cleaned things up well..

                      I would start out this way..

                      BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP….. J

                      Do the Upgrade install.

                      STOP and see how everything runs.

                      Then when ready do an uninstall and reinstall.. Everything worked great here.. All I had to do is repoint startupdelayer to the NEW WInmor locations…

                      BPQ moved my WInmor and WinmorI Folders to /applicationdata/bpq32/  I have two winmor folders one for each instance.

                      Great. I have been using a beta release of BPQMailChat (thanks John) for the bulletin feature with RMS Express. It has worked out well. Good to see it as part of the newest release.

                      Steve KB1TCE

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n5in_ron" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

                      > A new release, BPQ32 5.2.7.1_20120608, for Windows, is available for
                      > download at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/
                      >
                      > This release updates BPQ32.dll, BPQMailChat.exe, BPQTermTCP.exe,
                      > BPQTerminal.exe and BPQAPRS.exe.

                    • Jean Létourneau
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 12, 2012
                        Hi Ron,

                               I'm late but cannot find 5.2.7.1, I only see 5.2.6.1 on the files directory under the group.  I am blind?

                        Jean

                        --

                        Sysop de: VE2PKT (BBS), VE2PKT-3 (X-NET),VE2PKT-4, VE2RAJ (XRouter)
                               : VE2RCN-1, VE2RDL-1, VE2RGC-1, VE2RVA-1, (The-Net)

                        Internet:
                        Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 23 (Network Node)
                        Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 24 (MFnos)
                        Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 26 (X-Net)
                        Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 6300 (FBB BBS)
                        Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 9000 (DXCluster)

                        Packet SMTP: ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 25
                        Packet POP : ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 110
                        Packet Web: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org
                        Packet DX Cluster: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/webcluster

                        APRS Server status: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org:14501
                        X-Net Status: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org:85
                        XRouter Status: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org/html/ve2pkt-4
                        DXCluster Status: http://ve2pkt.dyndns.org/html/ve2pkt-9

                        E-Mail:
                        packet:   ve2pkt@ve2pkt.#qbc.qc.can.noam
                        ampr net: ve2pkt@...
                        Inet:     ve2pkt@... or ve2pkt@...

                      • n5in_ron
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 12, 2012
                          On the main BPQ32 Yahoo Group in big red letters is the link to 5.2.7.1.

                          Ron, AE5E

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Jean Létourneau <ve2pkt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.
                          > >
                          > > The changelog is here:
                          > > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog
                          > >
                          > > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!
                          > >
                          > > 73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex N5IN)
                          > >

                          > --
                          >
                          > Sysop de: VE2PKT (BBS), VE2PKT-3 (X-NET),VE2PKT-4, VE2RAJ (XRouter)
                          > : VE2RCN-1, VE2RDL-1, VE2RGC-1, VE2RVA-1, (The-Net)
                          > : VE2PKT-9 (DXCluster), VE2PKT-10 (Winlink Gateway)
                          > RF:
                          > 147.435 Mhz, 145.05 Mhz, 28.160 LSB (1200 Bps)
                          >
                          > Internet:
                          > Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 23 (Network Node)
                          > Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 24 (MFnos)
                          > Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 26 (X-Net)
                          > Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 6300 (FBB BBS)
                          > Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 9000 (DXCluster)

                        • Jean Létourneau
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 12, 2012
                            Thanks, I can't read, I was looking in the files directory.
                            73 de Jean,
                            VE2PKT

                            --

[...]

                          • la7um
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 13, 2012
                              Jean. You are not alone. Many of us jumps directly to the Messages section skipping the detour via the main front page. 73 Finn/LA7UM