RE: [BPQ32] re Unproto

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012

      Mike,

      I occasionally get the “Run-Time Error 9” here, but not within 10 seconds. I suspect something in the monitor data from bpq32 is upsetting UISS. This could be a bug in either bpq or UISS, but without any more error info from UISS it is pretty difficult to tell which. I’m away sailing at the moment so don’t have the time to delve into problems like this, which tend to be difficult to track down. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find a simple way to add UNPROTO capability to the BPQ terminal. There is already a similar feature for WINMOR FEC mode, so it may not be too difficult.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012
        The HF modem that I use gives me most excellent UNPROTO capability.

        I use MixW, which has its own input line and transmit buffer - that you can assign a special SSID or even callsign to, in the MixW Packet Modem menu.

        Anything that I type in and send from MixW directly goes out as UNPROTO from N5PVL-9, for example. - This is independent of whatever BPQ might be doing with the modem under the N5PVL-0 callsign.

        If I understand correctly, I could even have a different call in MixW - and it would not affect the use of the modem by N5PVL-0 with BPQ.

        In other words, BPQ could use the modem with N5PVL-0 while my MixW UNPROTO address might be my son's call, KE5SLI. ( Sounds Like Interference ) Both BPQ and my son could use the same modem - at the same time - with different calls.

        The great thing about the MixW arraingement is this: At any time, even during a message forwarding session, I can send out UNPROTO comments or even conduct an UNPROTO QSO in-amongst the BBS forwarding frames. - Kind of like the "Plain Talk" chat feature in FLARQ.

        So far, I have not gotten another SYSOP to talk back when I do that. - Understandable I suppose in that most of the BBS stations are not always attended!

        Anyway: I thought I'd mention that MixW gives you outstanding UNPROTO capability and convenience in conjunction with BPQ32.

        No other HF Packet modem can match MixW's special features and capability. I tired the UZ7HO modem for a few weeks - and found myself switching back to MixW. - There's simply no comparasin.

        BTW:  It sounds like I am a died in the wool MixW enthusiast - but don't get me wrong... The day that something demonstratably better shows up, I will shamelessly abandon MixW and go with the new one. I'm afraid that I'm just not much of a software loyalist, I go by performance and capability, with familiarity taking a distant third in my considerations.

        73 DE Charles, N5PVL

        I occasionally get the “Run-Time Error 9” here, but not within 10 seconds. I suspect something in the monitor data from bpq32 is upsetting UISS. This could be a bug in either bpq or UISS, but without any more error info from UISS it is pretty difficult to tell which. I’m away sailing at the moment so don’t have the time to delve into problems like this, which tend to be difficult to track down. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find a simple way to add UNPROTO capability to the BPQ terminal. There is already a similar feature for WINMOR FEC mode, so it may not be too difficult.

        In the UISS main setup you select which AGW port you want to use. Do you have the “All” button clicked?

        John

        UISS normally uses the DLL interface to AGW, which BPQ32 doesn’t support, so you need to configure ARISS in LAN mode.

        I’ve done a few tests and it seems to work, although it isn’t completely stable. I need to do some more test to find if that is a problem with BPQ or UISS.

        Not directly, but there is a program UISS (http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/uiss.htm) that will work with BPQ32, and is designed for unproto QSOs. I'm away from home at the moment, and can't remember the setup details, but I'll check it out when I get back. My recollection is that it uses AGWtoBPQ.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com , "Michael Mullikin" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

        > Good Day All

        > Is there a way to send unproto packets from the keyboard using BPQ.  My

        > setup is BPQ32 Chat and Mail RMS and APRS.

        > There is a packet net that uses unproto thru their digi.  I have set up

        > unproto to go thru their digi in the BPQ32 CFG file for the port I want on

        > RF and works for the BText.  But can seem to get it to work from the

        > keyboard.  In my Travels (RV) I have found a number of ARES groups or just

        > individuals using unproto for communicating.  So if there is not a way, it

        > might be a good addition to add that capability.

        > Thank You

        > Mike  W8EHH_,_._,___

      • Michael Mullikin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012

          Thanks John

          I would appreciate it if you could get the BPQ Term to do unproto even though I like UISS for unproto work.

          Thanks again

          Mike  W8EHH

          I occasionally get the “Run-Time Error 9” here, but not within 10 seconds. I suspect something in the monitor data from bpq32 is upsetting UISS. This could be a bug in either bpq or UISS, but without any more error info from UISS it is pretty difficult to tell which. I’m away sailing at the moment so don’t have the time to delve into problems like this, which tend to be difficult to track down. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find a simple way to add UNPROTO capability to the BPQ terminal. There is already a similar feature for WINMOR FEC mode, so it may not be too difficult.

          In the UISS main setup you select which AGW port you want to use. Do you have the “All” button clicked?

          John

          UISS normally uses the DLL interface to AGW, which BPQ32 doesn’t support, so you need to configure ARISS in LAN mode.

          I’ve done a few tests and it seems to work, although it isn’t completely stable. I need to do some more test to find if that is a problem with BPQ or UISS.

          Not directly, but there is a program UISS (http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/uiss.htm) that will work with BPQ32, and is designed for unproto QSOs. I'm away from home at the moment, and can't remember the setup details, but I'll check it out when I get back. My recollection is that it uses AGWtoBPQ.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com , "Michael Mullikin" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

          > Good Day All

          > Is there a way to send unproto packets from the keyboard using BPQ.  My

          > setup is BPQ32 Chat and Mail RMS and APRS.

          > There is a packet net that uses unproto thru their digi.  I have set up

          > unproto to go thru their digi in the BPQ32 CFG file for the port I want on

          > RF and works for the BText.  But can seem to get it to work from the

          > keyboard.  In my Travels (RV) I have found a number of ARES groups or just

          > individuals using unproto for communicating.  So if there is not a way, it

          > might be a good addition to add that capability.

          > Thank You

          > Mike  W8EHH_,_._,___

        • Michael Mullikin
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012

            Thanks Charles

            I also use MIxW but only PSK & RTTY never tried to use it for packet. Always used other programs.  1 question can you set up the path for unproto to digi thru digis?  And it will work on the same computer that BPQ is using and same comport for TXing?

            Mike  W8EHH

[...]

            size=3 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

            In the UISS main setup you select which AGW port you want to use. Do you have the “All” button clicked?

            John

            size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012

              Ok, Mike.

              I’ve got a prototype unproto mode working. It is a bit crude, but will have to do till I get a bit more time. I’ll try to get it released in the next day or two.

              73, John

              I would appreciate it if you could get the BPQ Term to do unproto even though I like UISS for unproto work.

              Thanks again

              Mike  W8EHH

              I occasionally get the “Run-Time Error 9” here, but not within 10 seconds. I suspect something in the monitor data from bpq32 is upsetting UISS. This could be a bug in either bpq or UISS, but without any more error info from UISS it is pretty difficult to tell which. I’m away sailing at the moment so don’t have the time to delve into problems like this, which tend to be difficult to track down. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find a simple way to add UNPROTO capability to the BPQ terminal. There is already a similar feature for WINMOR FEC mode, so it may not be too difficult.

              In the UISS main setup you select which AGW port you want to use. Do you have the “All” button clicked?

              John

              UISS normally uses the DLL interface to AGW, which BPQ32 doesn’t support, so you need to configure ARISS in LAN mode.

              I’ve done a few tests and it seems to work, although it isn’t completely stable. I need to do some more test to find if that is a problem with BPQ or UISS.

              Not directly, but there is a program UISS (http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/uiss.htm) that will work with BPQ32, and is designed for unproto QSOs. I'm away from home at the moment, and can't remember the setup details, but I'll check it out when I get back. My recollection is that it uses AGWtoBPQ.

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com , "Michael Mullikin" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

              > Good Day All

              > Is there a way to send unproto packets from the keyboard using BPQ.  My

              > setup is BPQ32 Chat and Mail RMS and APRS.

              > There is a packet net that uses unproto thru their digi.  I have set up

              > unproto to go thru their digi in the BPQ32 CFG file for the port I want on

              > RF and works for the BText.  But can seem to get it to work from the

              > keyboard.  In my Travels (RV) I have found a number of ARES groups or just

              > individuals using unproto for communicating.  So if there is not a way, it

              > might be a good addition to add that capability.

              > Thank You

              > Mike  W8EHH_,_._,___

            • Michael Mullikin
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 7, 2012

                Thanks John

                Will be looking forward to trying it.

                I have to shut down BPQ when I want  to join the packet net.

                For my use make sure I can set a path statement for going thru digi or digi’s.

                ENJOY  the boating.  Sur miss mine lots of times.  Hi Hi

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 8, 2012
                  The version of BPQ32 that has just been released (thanks Ron!) includes a
                  basic Unproto facility. To enter Unproto mode, enter the UNPROTO command at
                  the Node prompt. Parameters are Port, Dest, and optional Digi(s), for
                  example:

                  UNPROTO 1 DEST DIGI1 DIGI2

                  Once in Unproto Mode, anything typed will be sent as an Unproto frame. To
                  exit Unproto mode, enter ctrl/Z.

                  With the current code, only what you send will appear in the terminal output
                  window. To see what others are sending, you must use the monitor window. To
                  make this a bit easier, an option to monitor only UI packets has been added
                  to the BPQ32 MDI Monitor window, and to BPQTerminal and BPQTermTCP.

                  73,
                  John G8BPQ
                • Michael Mullikin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 9, 2012

                    Hi John

                    Thanks so much for the unproto addition.  It seems to work well I will try it during the net tonight and see how it goes.

                    Thank You Again