Modern HF Packet modem

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
      Hello!

      BPQ32 and WinFBB32 appear the be the most advanced Packet BBS
      software combination available.

      A natural companion to these is the well-known soundcard digital
      program MixW, utilizing it's KISS TNC emulation mode, available in
      the Packet mode - MODE menu.

      It takes a second Com port with a null-modem. - That port will look
      like a KISS TNC to any other software.

      There are enough advantages to this to qualify it as a giant step
      forward in HF Packet modems. The waterfall display lets you know what
      is going on, who is off frequency etc. - It won't be you who is off
      freq though, because you have instant, absolutely accurate, one-mouse-
      click tuning.

      No more squinting at LED's!

      As you operate HF Packet or Q15x25 mode, you can simultaneously
      monitor anywhere in the passband in any MixW mode. - Up to ten
      windows, if I remember correctly, but I seldom use more than two of
      them.

      To see my setup in action, stop by at the following web address,
      where a screenshot image of the BBS is available. - The image is
      changed daily, and helps guys in the Packet net get all lined up.

      http://www.uspacket.org/n5pvl/bbs.htm

      If you operate HF Packet, this modem is so much better than anything
      else that there is literally no comparasin. Once you operate with it,
      you're hooked - just like it is with BPQ32 and WinFBB32.

      Note that AX25 HF Packet has yet to be matched for spectral
      efficiency, and is still the best networking mode available for HF.

      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

      N5PVL @ N5PVL.#STX.TX.USA.NA
    • David Calder
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
        Heck I'm still running my DRSI card with external DRSI modem. 16 years
        and still kicking. I did have to have a specially built MB to handle the old
        ISA card. BPQ and FBB all the way.

        73 Dave
        n4zkf
        dxc.n4zkf.com