New UDR56K-4 Universal Digital 25 watts/70cm Radio

  • SV1UY
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2012
      Hi guys,

      What do you think of this? I found it on http://nwdigitalradio.com

      Food for though? Maybe BPQ support as well? It has an ETHERNET interface, 4 X USB Host Ports an antenna (aerial) jack, and a 12V power jack.

      Has LINUX embedded inside and it can be controlled/programmed by any WEB BROWSER via it's ETHERNET connection with a Windows/Linux/MAC/iPad/iPhone/Android computer.

      Ethernet to 70cm RF in a single package.

      Can be as a server, D-STAR Gateway, RMS Gateway, APRS I-Gate, Digipeater/NODE, 44net (AMPRnet) Gateway.
      Client for all above and more. See the small PDF I just uploaded.

      FANTASTIC is all I can say!

      Plug and play PACKET RADIO and more for UHF Radio Amateur networks!
      I think it's time for us to get back into Amateur Radio!

      -------INFO FILE from http://nwdigitalradio.com-----------------

      UDR56K-4 New Product Release
      Posted on May 18, 2012
      For Immediate Release

      NorthWest Digital Radio Announces New Universal Digital Radio at Hamvention®
      2012

      Dayton, OH – NW Digital Radio introduced the UDR56K-4 Universal Digital Radio at
      the annual gathering of Amateur (Ham) Radio enthusiasts. The radio, which has
      been designed to support digital data and digital voice needs of both amateur
      radio emergency service teams and digital radio experimenters The radio will
      support data rates from 4800-56K+ bps with selectable modulation methods
      including GMSK, FSK, and 4FSK. The UDR56K will operate in the 70cm band (420-450
      mHz.) at up to 25 watts.

      Bryan Hoyer (KG6GEU), President of NW Digital Radio said, "The UDR56K is a
      radical departure from legacy commercial radio offerings and brings a new, open
      platform, to the Amateur Radio community by providing a stable, integrated,
      software managed radio for digital communications combined with a tightly
      integrated Linux based computing platform in a compact package."

      The radio, which measures 4×6 inches and is topped with an eye-catching red
      colored heat sink, has none of the usual switched, knobs, dials, buttons, or
      switches. It has one Ethernet jack, four host USB ports, power, and antenna
      connections. All radio functions are controlled by software, using either a web
      browser interface or custom application.

      NW Digital Radio has already integrated the Radio Messaging System (RMS) and
      D-STARi gateway and controller software. They are also in talks with noted
      software developers to provide additional digital radio protocols and
      applications on the UDR56K platform. Common Linux applications are easily
      installed using package management tools or may be compiled for the radio. Some
      applications of interest to the amateur radio community have already been
      tested, such as AX.25 networking, gpsd, Xwindows, bluetooth integration,
      wireless 3G/4G broadband, USB sound, and others.

      "As we have talked to amateur radio operators, who are interested in digital
      communication for emergency communication or the development of new protocols,
      vocoders, and networks, there has been universal excitement fot the UDR56K,"
      according to John Hays (K7VE), Director of Marketing. Mr. Hays further noted
      that "Many have said, `can we pay now, to be at the front of the line?'"

      Mr. Hoyer added, "We think we have a winner in this design, and anticipate a
      series of new products from our company. We want to build on the resurgence of
      `do it yourself' activity. We will put the Amateur back in Amateur Radio!"

      This device is not offered for sale, pending certification and approval by the
      FCC.

      The UDR56K-4 has an anticipated release in the 4th Quarter of this year, with a
      target MSRP of $395.

      For more information contact:

      Bryan Hoyer, CEO
      kg6geu@NWDigital Radio.com

      John Hays, Director of Marketing
      k7ve@...

      NW Digital Radio Corporation is incorporated in the State of Washington.
      Friday Harbor, WA

      D-STAR is a protocol of the JARL and is also a trademark of Icom Corporation.

      73 de Demetre SV1UY
    • Shawn Bush
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2012

        This device certainly looks interesting... I would love to see what us hams do with it.

        73's
        Shawn Bush
        KD8NCV

      • SV1UY
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2012
          He he Shawn,

          The new NETROM BARONS, PACKET KINGS and BBS SYSOPS that this new box will create will probably start arguing more fiercly than before when all we had was 300, 1k2 or very rarely 9k6 bps links. These people will probably get these new boxes, will try to make a new PACKET NETWORK, faster this time, but they will pose the same restrictions and attitudes as before! Then they will ruin the network again, blaming the Internet (well perhaps the new Internet that will be created in the future)!

          I am also interested to see how will this evolve!

          73 de Demetre SV1UY