RE: [BPQ32] Is this the proper S/W to use

    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 15 KB
    Kirk

    The BPQ32 Tenet Server has a built in WL2K CMS server to replace RMS, there
    are many functions that will
    Be useful, I did not understand the S/W, you are welcome to contact me
    direct and will be more then happy
    To help you out.

    73
    mmelnik1@...
    Mike-N9PMO
    Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 8 KB
    Kirk
    The problem will be moving messages between BPQ Mail and RMS
    Express. They use different file types. As Mike mentioned BPQ can, via
    telnet, move messages between classic packet users and the Winlink system.
    This will not work if you lose internet service. Another solution is would
    be to use RMS Packet, with or without BPQ, to provide a similar service.
    Another roadblock will be the addressing of messages between the end user
    and the Email address message is intended for. The real solution would be
    Pactor 3 for HF forwarding from RMS Relay.
    Their maybe one manual solution, Message addressed to your RMS
    Express with message giving destination internet address for the real
    message the attachment is for. A message, addressed to RMS Express, from
    Winlink client, via packet, to RMS Packet, via internal connection, to RMS
    Express. Then retrieved from RMS Express and attachment detached. New
    message from RMS Express, with attachment, too email address, given in the
    original message, via WINMOR to RMS Winmor. Soundcards are not the solution
    to all digital communications situations or systems.
    73 Bill
    N9ACQ
    Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2012

      Kirk,

      BPQMailChat can be used as a message store for RMS Express clients, as well as most other client programs. Messages for local users can be retrieved directly, using any of the supported protocols (including Winmor, Packet, Pactor). Messages for non-local users can be sent via the Winlink system, either directly if Internet is available, or via a radio link (HF or VHF) to either another BPQ32 system or a conventional RMS Server which does have internet access. Or messages can be forwarded via conventional packet infrastructure, if available.

      Some of these features could be achieved using the RMS Packet/RMS Relay combination, but with less flexibility (only accessible via Winlink clients and limited comms hardware support (SCS Pactor Modems only). Of course the extra flexibility with BPQ32 comes at the cost of a significant learning curve.

      A number of stations have based their ARES strategy on BPQ32 and BPQMailChat, and I’m sure they would be willing to help.

      Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2012
        On Sat, 05 May 2012 04:43:43 +0200, kirkdehaan <captkirk@...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to using BPQ and have not gotten it up and running yet. That
        > is only for lack of some understanding on my part. That I will work
        > through. What I would like to know is this the proper S/W for what I
        > have in mind, before I get too involved?
        >
        > I am an ARES member here in N. Idaho and am thinking of having an
        > installation on a laptop for use during incidents. The intent is to
        > have a place to leave data messages that need to be passed via RMS
        > Express to the outside. We do not have a connection here to a local
        > Winlink node so must use HF and will have one station handling that
        > traffic. Hope to remedy that in the future.

        You do not need RMS Express localy, you can leave and read messages using
        the build in mailserver of BPQ32 (pop3 and smtp) with any email client
        BPQ32 can do the forwarding to a remote HF RMS (pactor packet or the new
        trimode), a paclink client, RMS Express client or another BPQ32.

        > It would also be nice to have a place to have general message from non
        > ARES members that may be inquiring about status, etc.

        No problem you have a full featured BBS able to handle winlink mail,
        personal mail, NTS mail, it's own email gateway and bulitains.

        --
        73 Andre PE1RDW
      • Jay WS7I
        Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2012
          Short answer is yes.  But while perhaps unknown to you there are a lot of systems in N. Idaho or reachable from N. Idaho.  The IEVHF club has a RMS on MT. Spokane 145.090 WR7VHF-4 at 5,500 ft.  Which has wr7vhf-10 a RMS on it.  See http://home.earthlink.net/~k7bfl/EWA_NID_EOR.pdf  Also see http://vhfclub.org/

          KC7ODP-10 is also on my frequency and you can most likely talk to Kootenai County ARES.

          My entire system on the Ham side is only for ARES/RACES usage so their are systems around.

          But perhaps RMS Relay with RMS Express would be as easy for you to use.  They have just changed that and it can operate radio only.

          Problem with ARES/RACES only systems is that they don't get much usage so people often tire of burning computer and electricity to keep them going.

          Jay WS7I