Re: [BPQ32] housekeeping error [1 Attachment]

  • Mark Milburn
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 9:46 AM
      It always says it can't renumber to 1.  When I try to access
      msg 1, it says it can't be found.  When I list messages, there
      is no message 1.  What file has the messages and can I go look
      in there and edit that file to get rid of it?

      Message 2 of 9 , May 3 10:04 AM
        Mark

        On the MailChat Window, Configuration, Main Configuration,
        Housekeeping, Max Number of Messages, try setting to 30000
        This will not reset messages to 1 but will reduce the number
        Of messages, you should conceder using the Housekeeping,
        Specify Call, Life time, example would be TO WX why keep them
        Anymore then 2 days since they are replaced everyday also I
        Use Apply Overrides to unsent Bulls (checked)

        Mike-N9PMO

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3 11:36 AM

          Mark,

          The software is trying to renumber all massages starting from 1, as you have reached the max message number configured in the housekeeping setup. There is a message file with number 1 in the BPQMailchat/Mail folder, so it can’t rename the file.  Files can sometimes get left there, even when the message directory entry has been deleted. There may be other stray message iles about, so delete any with numbers below the lowest number currently in use on the BBS.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 12:19 PM
            Ok, I tried deleting messages but all that happened was they were reinstituted
            as current...didn't solve the problem , just changed it.  Deleting didn't seem to
            be the answer, so I just deleted the whole mail folder.  Then I upped the
            max messages to 30,000 as Mike suggested and it's working.

            Since it will take a long time to reach 30,000 messages I have put the problem
            off for a while, but apparently there is something wrong in the program itself
            when it comes to housekeeping when the maximum number of messages is
            reached.  Unless that is corrected, I'll just have to delete the mail folder each
            time I get there.

            Thanks everyone for the help...onward and upward.

            73  mark

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3 2:14 PM

              Mark,

              Did you delete the message files (ie m_00001.mes, etc)?

              John

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3 3:02 PM
                John, I did, but then the error message just switched to
                tell me it couldn't rename to message no 2.  So......
                I deleted the whole mail folder and just started over.
                I also increased the maximum messages to 30,000.
                That should take care of me for a long time, since the
                problem is just when you reach the maximum number
                of messages.
                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5 12:06 PM
                  I do use housekeeping, Mike, but what seems to be happening is that
                  the daily housekeeping routine only deletes from the mailbox...and not from
                  the Mail folder.  So of course my mailbox works great but the mail folder
                  just keeps getting larger and larger and then when I reach the maximum number
                  of messages, it tries to renumber but can't because the old messages
                  have never been flushed from the mail folder, even though it is gone from
                  the mailbox.

                  Is that a flaw in the program....or am I just setting something wrong?

                  Or have you ever run into that?