housekeeping error

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2012
      My mailbox isn't working right. When housekeeping,
      I get an error message that says:

      "could not rename message no XXXXX to 1, quitting"

      I have taken down the program and downloaded a clean
      latest version and reinstalled it...no change.

      Everything else seems to be working OK, just the
      housekeeping cycle has something wrong. I am using
      Windows VISTA Home Premium.

      Anybody got any ideas?
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 14 KB
      The message number you are trying to renumber messages to is still in use,
      you will need to
      Clean out that message/Messages or increase the renumber

      Mike-N9PMO

      Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2012
        It always says it can't renumber to 1.  When I try to access
        msg 1, it says it can't be found.  When I list messages, there
        is no message 1.  What file has the messages and can I go look
        in there and edit that file to get rid of it?

                My mailbox isn't working right. When housekeeping,
                I get an error message that says:

                "could not rename message no XXXXX to 1, quitting"

                I have taken down the program and downloaded a clean
                latest version and reinstalled it...no change.

                Everything else seems to be working OK, just the
                housekeeping cycle has something wrong. I am using
                Windows VISTA Home Premium.

                Anybody got any ideas?

        <*>Attachment(s) from Mike Melnik:

          <*> winmail.dat

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
            BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2012
          Mark

          On the MailChat Window, Configuration, Main Configuration,
          Housekeeping, Max Number of Messages, try setting to 30000
          This will not reset messages to 1 but will reduce the number
          Of messages, you should conceder using the Housekeeping,
          Specify Call, Life time, example would be TO WX why keep them
          Anymore then 2 days since they are replaced everyday also I
          Use Apply Overrides to unsent Bulls (checked)

          Mike-N9PMO

          Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2012

            Mark,

            The software is trying to renumber all massages starting from 1, as you have reached the max message number configured in the housekeeping setup. There is a message file with number 1 in the BPQMailchat/Mail folder, so it can’t rename the file.  Files can sometimes get left there, even when the message directory entry has been deleted. There may be other stray message iles about, so delete any with numbers below the lowest number currently in use on the BBS.

            Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2012
              Ok, I tried deleting messages but all that happened was they were reinstituted
              as current...didn't solve the problem , just changed it.  Deleting didn't seem to
              be the answer, so I just deleted the whole mail folder.  Then I upped the
              max messages to 30,000 as Mike suggested and it's working.

              Since it will take a long time to reach 30,000 messages I have put the problem
              off for a while, but apparently there is something wrong in the program itself
              when it comes to housekeeping when the maximum number of messages is
              reached.  Unless that is corrected, I'll just have to delete the mail folder each
              time I get there.

              Thanks everyone for the help...onward and upward.

              73  mark

              Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2012

                Mark,

                Did you delete the message files (ie m_00001.mes, etc)?

                John

                Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2012
                  John, I did, but then the error message just switched to
                  tell me it couldn't rename to message no 2.  So......
                  I deleted the whole mail folder and just started over.
                  I also increased the maximum messages to 30,000.
                  That should take care of me for a long time, since the
                  problem is just when you reach the maximum number
                  of messages.
                  Thanks.

                  Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 2012
                    I do use housekeeping, Mike, but what seems to be happening is that
                    the daily housekeeping routine only deletes from the mailbox...and not from
                    the Mail folder.  So of course my mailbox works great but the mail folder
                    just keeps getting larger and larger and then when I reach the maximum number
                    of messages, it tries to renumber but can't because the old messages
                    have never been flushed from the mail folder, even though it is gone from
                    the mailbox.

                    Is that a flaw in the program....or am I just setting something wrong?

                    Or have you ever run into that?