BPQ Buffer sizes?

  • bolt637
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
      Is there anyway to reduce the size of the buffer in BPQ?
      I noticed it is over 30k. When I was doing a test upload
      using airmail with winmor The whole 30k file uploaded into
      bpq and then was sent over winmor from there. I need to reduce
      the buffer size because when I am using WinFBB with the
      tfwin DLL all the messages go into the buffer. Then what happens
      is the bbs sits idle for too long while the data is forwarded
      out of the buffers to the other bbs. AFter 15 mins or so
      fbb forces a disconnect, even though traffic is still flowing.

      any ideas?

      Steven - N1OHX
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

        Steven,

        Could you give a few more details of what you are doing? I’m confused about how Airmail fits into forwarding from WinFBB.

        Thanks,

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

          > Steven,
          >

          > Could you give a few more details of what you are doing? I'm confused about
          > how Airmail fits into forwarding from WinFBB.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > John

          Sure. I mentioned airmail because that is the APP I was using when
          I first noticed the buffers are large. I was using airmail to bpq
          using the hostmodes program, and bpq to a 1200bd tnc via KISS.
          To test the VHF path I tried to send a message with a 30k
          attachment. The "Bytes sent" indicator on airmail went from 0 bytes
          to "finished" in about 15 seconds. The message ended
          up uploading okay, but I suspect it was uploading from the
          buffers in BPQ.

          Fast forward to my current problem, I am using FBB with
          the TFWIN interface and the uz7ho soundmodem. If my BBS
          offers, say, 5 messages and the other BBS says it wants
          them, my FBB does the same thing as airmail. On HF
          300 bauds it can take quite some time for those messages to
          get across and after 15 minutes FBB closes the connection because it thinks
          it has timed out. But the data is still being forwarded from
          BPQ's buffers. I have looked for a timeout setting in FBB
          but cannot find one. I was wondering if the buffer sizes
          are adjustable in bpq so I could bring them down to say, 1K or so.

          Steven
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

            Ok, Steven. Thanks,

            I’m with you now! It is really a flow control problem rather that buffer size. It sounds like I need to add flow control to the TFWin driver. I think most users who run FBB also run a BPQ BBS, and forward from FBB to BPQ, then out to the network, so the problem hasn’t been seen before.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

              I’ve had a look at the code, and the TFWIN driver does have flow control. I suspect the problem is with the UZ7HO modem, which swallows the whole message. I’ll see if I can find a way to apply flow control to the UZ7HO driver.

              John

              I’m with you now! It is really a flow control problem rather that buffer size. It sounds like I need to add flow control to the TFWin driver. I think most users who run FBB also run a BPQ BBS, and forward from FBB to BPQ, then out to the network, so the problem hasn’t been seen before.

              > Could you give a few more details of what you are doing? I'm confused
              about
              > how Airmail fits into forwarding from WinFBB.
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > John

              Sure. I mentioned airmail because that is the APP I was using when
              I first noticed the buffers are large. I was using airmail to bpq
              using the hostmodes program, and bpq to a 1200bd tnc via KISS.
              To test the VHF path I tried to send a message with a 30k
              attachment. The "Bytes sent" indicator on airmail went from 0 bytes
              to "finished" in about 15 seconds. The message ended
              up uploading okay, but I suspect it was uploading from the
              buffers in BPQ.

              Fast forward to my current problem, I am using FBB with
              the TFWIN interface and the uz7ho soundmodem. If my BBS
              offers, say, 5 messages and the other BBS says it wants
              them, my FBB does the same thing as airmail. On HF
              300 bauds it can take quite some time for those messages to
              get across and after 15 minutes FBB closes the connection because it thinks
              it has timed out. But the data is still being forwarded from
              BPQ's buffers. I have looked for a timeout setting in FBB
              but cannot find one. I was wondering if the buffer sizes
              are adjustable in bpq so I could bring them down to say, 1K or so.

              Steven

            • Peter - ZL2BAU
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
                On 01/05/12 00:33, bolt637 wrote:

                > Steven,
                >

                > Could you give a few more details of what you are doing? I'm confused about
                > how Airmail fits into forwarding from WinFBB.
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > John

                Sure. I mentioned airmail because that is the APP I was using when
                I first noticed the buffers are large. I was using airmail to bpq
                using the hostmodes program, and bpq to a 1200bd tnc via KISS.
                To test the VHF path I tried to send a message with a 30k
                attachment. The "Bytes sent" indicator on airmail went from 0 bytes
                to "finished" in about 15 seconds. The message ended
                up uploading okay, but I suspect it was uploading from the
                buffers in BPQ.

                Fast forward to my current problem, I am using FBB with
                the TFWIN interface and the uz7ho soundmodem. If my BBS
                offers, say, 5 messages and the other BBS says it wants
                them, my FBB does the same thing as airmail. On HF
                300 bauds it can take quite some time for those messages to
                get across and after 15 minutes FBB closes the connection because it thinks
                it has timed out. But the data is still being forwarded from
                BPQ's buffers. I have looked for a timeout setting in FBB
                but cannot find one. I was wondering if the buffer sizes
                are adjustable in bpq so I could bring them down to say, 1K or so.

                Steven

                Hi Steven,

                               Have a look in your *INIT.SRV* file for the following line which sets *Timeout*, for HF, you maybe need to set the values somewhere up towards 30 minutes.

                #
                # Time-out for normal users / forward
                #
                timeout = 30 30
                #

                Regards ..... Peter

              • bolt637
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2012

                  > I've had a look at the code, and the TFWIN driver does have flow control. I
                  > suspect the problem is with the UZ7HO modem, which swallows the whole
                  > message. I'll see if I can find a way to apply flow control to the UZ7HO
                  > driver.
                  >

                  > John

                  Thank you very much for looking into that problem John,
                  it is appreciated.

                  73,

                  Steven - N1OHX