Re: WinFBB beacon control

  • MIchael Melnik Sr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007
        Hi Charles,

        Make sure you have the replacement bpq.dll from the file  FBB-BPQ.zip in the files section of this group.

        The following is an extract from the documentation within the file

        I've modified bpq.dll so that it can send UI messages to all BPQ ports. By default,
        it will send to all BPQ Ports, but this can be controlled by setting the registry
        DWORD value

         HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32\FBBUIMask.

        This is a bit mask with up to 16 bits. If a bit is set, UI messages will be sent to
        the corresponding port in bpqcfg.txt. So a value of 1 will send to the first port,
        5 to the first and third, and so on. Note the bits correspond to the order of ports in
        bpqcfg.txt, not necessarily the port numbers assigned to those ports.
        Regards,
        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
          Howdy, Mike!

          I have BPQ32 set up with three ports.

          I'd like to beacon on port one only.

          Thank you!

          Charles Brabham, N5PVL

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "MIchael Melnik Sr." <mmelnik1@...>
          wrote:

          > > Charles Brabham, N5PVL
          > > You need to edit the registry and add FBBUIMask Dword, what port
          > > is your HF port in BPQ? I will send you the Mask value and how
          > > add to add the Dword value.
          >
          > > Mike/N9PMO
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello!
          > >
          > > I operate BPQ32 with WinFBB 7.01.35 alpha.
          > >
          > > My question is how to control the FBB beacon. I'd like to have no
          > beacon on
          > > the HF port, but beacon normally on the others.
          > >
          > > Thank you!
          > > Charles Brabham, N5PVL

        • MIchael Melnik Sr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
            Hi Charles,

            I need to know what ports you are using and what port you want to
            Beacon on?

            Also just a respone to the Needed Null Modem, BPQ32 has one, it is a
            two part setup first being the Load Device.exe, second is the
            BPQTNC2.exe, how ever when i experimented with it and MSYS and Hyper
            Terminal i was unable to communicate with Hyper Term, but the port i
            add Via the BPQTNC2.exe DID show up in Hyper Term, May Be
            John G8BPQ can help us out on this. Your other option for a sound
            card MODEM would be to allicate an AGWPE Port in BPQ, but it sounds
            like you are satified with MIXW.

            Let me know about your port configuration.

            Mike/N9PMO

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

            > Howdy, Mike!
            >
            > I have BPQ32 set up with three ports.
            >
            > I'd like to beacon on port one only.
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > Charles Brabham, N5PVL
            >

            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "MIchael Melnik Sr." <mmelnik1@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > > Charles Brabham, N5PVL
            > > > You need to edit the registry and add FBBUIMask Dword, what
            port
            > > > is your HF port in BPQ? I will send you the Mask value and how
            > > > add to add the Dword value.
            > >
            > > > Mike/N9PMO
            > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello!
            > > >
            > > > I operate BPQ32 with WinFBB 7.01.35 alpha.
            > > >
            > > > My question is how to control the FBB beacon. I'd like to have
            no
            > > beacon on
            > > > the HF port, but beacon normally on the others.
            > > >
            > > > Thank you!
            > > > Charles Brabham, N5PVL

          • Charles Brabham
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
              Howdy, Mike!

              On my computer, BPQ32 has COM ports 3,4, and 5. These are BPQ Ports
              1,2, and 3.

              I'm only wanting to beacon on BPQ port 1 ( Com3 )

              I thought about BPQ's virtual COM ports etc. but my old 400Mhz
              Celeron with Win98se is already close to being maxed out. Besides, it
              has five COM ports, so there was no shortage there.

              I've never heard of AGWPE being used on HF, or for networking on any
              band... It's a partially reverse-engineered FlexNet knockoff, without
              the advanced networking features that would be moot for home use
              anyway.

              Don't feel bad about the HF thingy... FlexNet is no bueno on HF
              either. FlexNet is an expert system that is very VHF/UHF oriented, so
              if you put him on HF he acts inappropriately to say the least.

              AGWPE inherited this trait from its daddy.

              I did finally work out a way to make FlexNet work on HF - by
              defeating most of its features. In the end, I concluded that it was
              not worth the trouble.

              The very best performing setup for HF Packet right now, as far as I
              can tell, is BPQ or BPQ32 with MixW.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 27, 2007

                HI Charles

                Ok this setting will send a beacon on BPQ Port 1

                First go to Start then click on Run,

                Next type regedit click ok

                Click on the Plus mark next to my computer, this will expand the registry,

                Click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

                Expand the Software Key,

                Next expand the GB8BPQ

                Right Click on the BPQ32, this will open a drop down window, go to New and Left click on DWORD,

                You will now see a new entry in the right window pane, type FBBUIMask, next click on any where in the window to

                Add this DWORD.

                Next RIGHT Click on the new DWORD icon select Modify, a Small window will open there should be two selections

                Hexadecimal and Decimal, select Decimal enter 1 again click on any part of the window.

                Close the Registry Editor and restart you’re WinFbb and you will be set.

                What I find about writers of program is they assume you know how to reform these tasks and leave out the full instructions.

                In the future if you need to change the beacon ports here is the easy way to figure it out,

                Open the BPQ Folder run the BPQTerminal.exe click on the Monitor and select the port or ports you want your Beacon to

                Go out on, open the registry as before click on but this time the BPQTerminal/sessions look at the Port Mask

                Then enter the same in the FBBUIMask.

                Feel free to contact me direct by E-Mail for any help.

                Mike Melnik
                N9PMO
                E-Mails Scanned By Symantec Corporate A/V