tcpip and AX25

  • AFN1LE
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2012
      I assume its AX25 with tcpip on VHF/UHF. If follow all the instructions then poo on tcpip makes sence. However, years ago we trashed the NEDA and other guidelines and wrote new PARMS, making tcpip including ftp of binary files across the same network well worth doing.
      We rewrote the BBS and nodes PARMS. We could hop from Maine to Virginia and thats quite a few node hops, over 300 air miles, easily, where previously we were lucky to hop into an adjacent small state.
      Its true the header is bigger and we're limited by the baud rate. If ran ip under netwrong it gets wicked slow. Per NEDA you get 3 hops, that's all to want to try. Enter Flexnet which is optimized digipeating, ten hops at what was only 3 worth doing with netrom.
      Fact is, "standard" setups, from info available that is ubiquitous isn't enough to know that adding an IP layer doesn't mean a traffic jam.
      When DOS NOS died on the MS vine, it was obvious most who ran it only used about 10% of its capabilities, did not know how to become advanced, think, set it up outside the box and make it really go for the Olympics, and win. KA9Q was a genious, developed J-NOS in 1990; it didn't like an XT, but it worked on an AT...provided you didn't eat up core memory...don't ask it to do much. MOST gateways made that mistake, they did not optimize it in their setups! All of that, sysop adjustable.