Re: [BPQ32] linux

  • Jay WS7I
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2012
      Several comments.

      First of all JNOS runs last time I checked, Hal Communications DXP38
      and the like which contains fully licensed version of Pactor 1 from
      SCS. Also of course there Clover. All Hal modems DXP38, DSP4100,
      DSP4200, etc. run the same command set so work under JNOS as well as
      BPQ32. That was Jnos 2.0 I believe as I also still have an old 1.1x box
      around.

      Support hardware modems like Hal, KAM, PK232 and SCS solves the pactor
      problem. Winmor solves all the rest.

      The reason that everyone has been slow to UNIX, LINUX, etc. is simply
      security.

      97.309f is NOT antique. Higher speed channelized operations need to
      move to MARS, FEMA, or other non-amateur frequencies. The problem has
      been and always will be in the ham bands the illegal use of amateur
      radio for non-ham communications. This is exactly why you will find
      K4CJX on the MARS side of the house and not on the ham bands. Same with
      WU3V and others. All in MARS.

      Agency use of high speed modems needs both ALE and high speed
      channelized operations. MARS is perfect for that and that is why (along
      others) that a lot of this stuff moved to MARS and will be found there.
      They need discrete frequencies that are tightly controlled as high speed
      data modes don't mix with RTTY contests, RTTY DXing or PSK31 QSO's. If
      you want to run Pactor 4, its simple join MARS.

      Pactor 4 is essentially a high speed commercial modem like several
      others. Its expensive and its best suited for non-amateur usage. All we
      need is a bunch of high speed modems that are not in common all in a
      free space.

      MARS is and has long been the solution. Why else do you find many old
      ham guys on the MARS channels serving and servicing the EmComm community
      ? We have TSA, MARS, National Guard, EOC's all on military frequencies.

      BPQ32 is the platform that most of us use as it supports nearly all
      hardware that I know about and more than likely the new M110A stuff and
      beyond to the ARQ versions that will move for Mil-Spec communications
      will all run under BPQ32.

      The reason that Mysys isn't used is that the author didn't evolve. John
      deserves a giant thank-you from all of us in MARS and in Amateur Radio.
      I have used bpq for a long time, once with DRSI boards and 300 baud
      packet on HF. Now I run two sets one on ARMY MARS and one on the ham side.

      Jay WS7I