Re: TNC2-Kissmode

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@...> wrote:

      > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
      burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
      this file??

      > 73
      > Mike - N7ZEF

      Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
      group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
      documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
      which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
      this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
      get to it right away.

      As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
      problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
      to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!

      Ron, N5IN
    • kyn781
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
        I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.

        -Adam Jacobs W7QI

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@...> wrote:

        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
        > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
        > this file??
        > >
        > > 73
        > > Mike - N7ZEF
        > >

        > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
        > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
        > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
        > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
        > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
        > get to it right away.
        >
        > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
        > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
        > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
        >
        > Ron, N5IN

      • kv7j
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
          Try setkiss.zip in the files area... near the bottom.

          V/R
          Otto

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kyn781" <adam@...> wrote:

          > I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
          >
          > -Adam Jacobs W7QI
          >
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
          > > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
          > > this file??
          > > >
          > > > 73
          > > > Mike - N7ZEF
          > > >

          > > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
          > > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
          > > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
          > > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
          > > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
          > > get to it right away.
          > >
          > > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
          > > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
          > > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
          > >
          > > Ron, N5IN

        • Adam Jacobs
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
            Nope, no prom image in that zip file, just an executable.
            any other guesses?

            -Adam

            On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM, kv7j <ottotune@...> wrote:

            Try setkiss.zip in the files area... near the bottom.

            V/R
            Otto

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kyn781" <adam@...> wrote:

            > I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
            >
            > -Adam Jacobs W7QI
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
            > > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
            > > this file??
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > > Mike - N7ZEF
            > > >

            > > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
            > > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
            > > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
            > > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
            > > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
            > > get to it right away.
            > >
            > > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
            > > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
            > > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
            > >
            > > Ron, N5IN

          • Adam Jacobs
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
              Nevermind, everyone. I found it on an external site and uploaded it to the files section as kissdist.zip

              -Adam W7QI

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                The files are in the Relatedfiles folder of the standard BPQ32 instsll.

                73, John

                href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:

                > > I was afraid that is what was
                going to have to happen. I have a prom
                > burner, did several of the digi
                nodes around here...wher do I find
                > this file??
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Mike - N7ZEF

                Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this

                group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as

                documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                > which
                you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                > this, I can
                do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                > get to it
                right away.

                > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the
                JKISS eprom all the
                > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go
                away. I switched
                > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and
                it's the way to go!

                > Ron, N5IN

              • Adam Jacobs
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                  That folder didn't install as part of my BPQ32 install. perhaps they install to someplace besides the program files folder?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                    It goes into the configuration/data folder.

                    John

                    I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.

                    -Adam Jacobs W7QI

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@...> wrote:

                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                    > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                    > this file??
                    > >
                    > > 73
                    > > Mike - N7ZEF
                    > >

                    > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                    > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                    > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                    > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                    > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                    > get to it right away.
                    >
                    > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                    > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                    > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
                    >
                    > Ron, N5IN

                  • Ron Stordahl
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                      Adam

                      I have removed the KISS Rom images you uploaded pending further review.  I will try to contact Johan WG7J to see if he would approve.  In the mean time I don't think anyone will be inconvenienced.  The JKISS and BPQKISS images provided an eternity ago by John G8BPQ work perfectly in TNC2's and are included in the BPQ32 release structure.  It would be easy to miss them I do realize, but here is how you get to them:

                      Click 'Start' then in sequence 'All Programs', 'BPQ32' and then you will see in the drop down list several entries 'View xxxxx Folder'.  In this case click 'View Configuration Folder' and Windows Explorer will open.  There you will find a folder 'RelatedFiles'.  In that folder are the various KISS images provided by John G8BPQ as well as a HTML document describing them.  There is a document 'Kissroms.pdf' which explains the use of these images fairly well.  I suppose I should have added an item 'View RelatedFiles Folder', and perhaps I will in a later release.

                      Without the drop down list I will agree it would be hard to find all these items, but this was made necessary by Microsoft's Vista and beyond policy of enforcing separation of Application Data from Program Files by means of those annoying UAC warnings, viz 'Do you really want to do this!'.

                      Ron, AE5E