Re: [BPQ32] Lucky find

  • Bob Unger
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
      Hi Dave. N4ZKF (098)
      I would like to buy a darsi from you, card, box or what ever.  I just want to play with that kind of system and get to understand it. I think drivers are still availabel on the internet.  Cost first note.  Also trying to forward withe you on 098, but never can get xeroed in on you. I can link with N0XR every day, but not you.  Thanks

      73 de Bob in Bethlehem, Pa. WB3DTG  (((   610-868-1112   )))    SEND NO MONEY PLEASE
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
        I am on an A3S pointed NW so your on the side is probably why. Send me enough to ship it and I'll give you one. Let me get in the garage this weekend and see how many of what types I have. I know I have over 30 total.

        I'll let you know. You probably want one and an external HF 300b modem too.

        D. Calder
        IPad

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012

            I want to thank those who helped me with this.  I received two flavors of script for the TNC-X and they both worked.  Thank you.

            I changed  the J1 and J2 jumpers on the TNC-X to 9600 baud.  Some old project must have had me at the 1200.  I also connected to the serial port to keep it simple stupid for me and not get into the issues of USB to Serial adapters.  I can later try to connect using the adapter.  But the serial port keeps the guessing out of it for now.

            I did a complete reinstall by deleting all reference to BPQ32 in the registry and on the C drive.

            I was able to connect to another station and monitor the freq. which was excellent! J

            I copied my OSM directory to the location required by BPQ32 and the maps came up fine.  Still think an improvement would be to be able to point to a path and use that path rather than having dual directories to save drive space.

            Question:  How do I get my station out of  Africa?  I thought the lats and the longs placed in the Locator area might be what trips this for BPQ32APRS?  It just might and I just have the lats and longs format written in the wrong way.  Example shown for the Locator is a little sketchy as it shows right now in the BPQ32.cfg file.  Not sure if there is a “/” you enter between the “nn”

            Question:  I do not have a node setup right.  I click on BPQ32Nodes.exe and it goes to the Dos screen but then closes.  I also need to understand Quality I think to do a node.

            Thanks for the help on getting me started and glad to be able to make some packets with BPQ32.

            Jerry N7YGE.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
              Jerry,

              If you are referring to the APRS Map, your location is set in the APRSDIGI section of BPQ32.cfg, with the LAT and LON statements. Position is in normal APRS format - eg LAT=5259.04N  LON=00107.01W  .(DDMM.MM or DDDMM.MM).

              For the BPQ32 Nodes Map  http://nodemap.g8bpq.net:81/ the postion cones from the LOCATOR statement. This is either a "Grid Square", eg LOCATOR=IO92KX, or decimal degrees, positive for N and E, negative for S and W, eg LOCATOR=58.47576, -6.21168.

              BPQNODES.exe is a program to save the Nodes table, and runs as a DOS program. The node is an integral part of bpq32, and always runs. To link to other nodes you have to get to grips with the NETROM concepts and parameters. including QUALITY.

[...]

              Question:  How do I get my station out of  Africa?  I thought the lats and the longs placed in the Locator area might be what trips this for BPQ32APRS?  It just might and I just have the lats and longs format written in the wrong way.  Example shown for the Locator is a little sketchy as it shows right now in the BPQ32.cfg file.  Not sure if there is a “/R 21; you enter between the “nn”

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                I have them all Bob. Do you want a 2 x 1200 baud port card or a 1 x 1200 port and an external 300 HF to go with it?

                n4zkf
                D. Calder
                IPad

              • afa1bu@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                  good idea... drsi cards are really neat.  I miss my 2x1200; ran that under JNOS years ago, which has a driver for that.  Very dependable and saved using external TNC's on VHF for a gateway.  I wish they were still made.  It was one of those innovations that was ahead of its time, back then.  And still do the job, without chewing up the RS232C com ports.  An alternative would be the BP-2's from Tigertronics, at $ 50 each...doesn't need external 12vdc.  Come in DB25, so need the DB9 to 25 adaptor.  --FYI, you can doctor up a DRSI card to run as high as 56K (not on RF of course), if have a use for a 56K AX25 application, or where a Bell 103 or 202 isn't do-able.  You shouldn't have much trouble doing DRSI on BPQ32, I think, however, check with John.
                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                    I have about 30 and have used them for over 20 years. I even had a P4 motherboard built with ISA slots for the BBS about 5 years ago. I wouldn't run anything else. John even wrote an XP driver for them about a year or so that works great.

                    D. Calder
                    IPad