Re: [BPQ32] Kiss TNC-X

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
      I am using the USB version of the TNC-X. I run it at 9600 baud by changing the internal jumpers (the default is 1200). For USB I used the FTDI self installer for the virtual com port. This required that I go to my device manager to determine the number of the new com port. There wasn't too much else to do.

      Steve KB1TCE
    • Charles Brabham
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
        My station is down with antenna problems, and I am taking the opportunity to re-do my computer hardware and software.

        Yesterday I had my BBS computer, a Win98 machine opened up for the first time in years, so that I could blow out clouds of dust from in there, that had been clogging up the PS, CPU fan, etc..

        I was amazed and gratified to find that the motherboard had the old style card slots, three of them in addition to the PCI bus stuff.

        This was exciting, as somebody had donated a NIB DRSI PCPA-1 and the accompanying HF modem some years ago, and I knew where they were located in the closet.

        The outside of the DRSI boxes looked dusty and a little bit beat-up, but inside it all looked brand new. Even the packing foam looked fresh. - Kind of like a time capsule.

        That's what I call a lucky day!

        Question: I downloaded BPQHDLC and put the BPQHDLC.VXD file in the BPQ32 directory.

        What I have done is to find a sample PORT definition for DRSI included in my copy of BPQ409d...

        Is this correct, and if so, could a copy of that port definition be included with BPQHDLC? - I just took a guess about the VXD file going in the BPQ32 root directory, as there were no notes or instructions telling a fellow what to do with it.

        I am looking forward to working with the DRSI cards again - the most reliable, trouble-free Packet Radio TNC known to mankind.

        73 DE Charles, N5PVL
      • Jay WS7I
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
          This is old but might be helpful.  Note with two cards the address changes.  Yours would be like 3 and 4 but with 300H as the address.

          ; WS7I FIRST DRSI, PORT 0
          PORT
                   PORTNUM=1
                   ID=145.01
                   TYPE=DRSI
                   PROTOCOL=HDLC
                   IOADDR=300H
                   INTLEVEL=7
                   SPEED=1200
                   CHANNEL=A
                   QUALITY=100
                   MAXFRAME=4
                   TXDELAY=300
                   SLOTTIME=100
                   PERSIST=64
                   FULLDUP=0
                   SOFTDCD=0
                   FRACK=10000
                   RESPTIME=1500
                   RETRIES=10
                   PACLEN=230
                   INTERLOCK=0
                   DIGIFLAG=0
          ENDPORT

          ;WS7I First DRSI, PORT 1
          ;
          PORT
                   PORTNUM=2
                   ID=INWDX Backbone
                   TYPE=DRSI
                   PROTOCOL=HDLC
                   IOADDR=300H
                   INTLEVEL=7
                   SPEED=1200
                   CHANNEL=B
                   QUALITY=50
                   MAXFRAME=7
                   TXDELAY=250
                   SLOTTIME=100
                   PERSIST=32
                   FULLDUP=0
                   SOFTDCD=0
                   FRACK=6000
                   RESPTIME=1500
                   RETRIES=10
                   PACLEN=128
                   INTERLOCK=0
                   DIGIFLAG=0
                   ;VALIDCALLS=WV7Y,WS7I,NQ7M,WB7AVD,NY7T,
          ENDPORT

          ; WS7I Second DRSI, PORT 0

          PORT
                   PORTNUM=3
                   ID=223.46 (Backbone)
                   TYPE=DRSI
                   PROTOCOL=HDLC
                   IOADDR=310H
                   INTLEVEL=7
                   SPEED=1200
                   CHANNEL=A
                   QUALITY=100
                   MAXFRAME=2
                   TXDELAY=250
                   SLOTTIME=100
                   PERSIST=64
                   FULLDUP=0
                   SOFTDCD=0
                   FRACK=6000
                   RESPTIME=1500
                   RETRIES=10
                   PACLEN=128
                   INTERLOCK=0
                   DIGIFLAG=0
                   ;VALIDCALLS=WV7Y,WS7I,NQ7M,WB7AVD,KD7H,
          ENDPORT
          ;
          ; WS7I Second DRSI, PORT 1
                            ;
          ;

          PORT
                 PORTNUM=4
                 ID=10 Mhz (HF Backbone)
                 TYPE=DRSI          ;Second DRSI card. PCPA-1.
                 PROTOCOL=HDLC      ;That's what DRSI's are.
                 IOADDR=310H        ;I/O Port address
                 INTLEVEL=7         ;IRQ selected
                 SPEED=300          ;1200 baud
                 CHANNEL=B          ;Second port in this board
                 QUALITY=0          ;BPQ example value which allows node broadcasts
                 MAXFRAME=1         ;Same as PC/TNC parm 5
                 TXDELAY=450        ;PC/TNC parm 9 * 10
                 SLOTTIME=40        ;PC/TNC parm 3 * 10
                 PERSIST=200        ;Same as PC/TNC parm 2
                 FULLDUP=0          ;Same as PC/TNC parm 11
                 SOFTDCD=0          ;use data DCD, not DCD signal from modem
                 FRACK=12000        ;PC/TNC parm 4 * 1000
                 RESPTIME=1000      ;PC/TNC parm 7 * 100
                 RETRIES=10         ;Same as PC/TNC parm 6
                 PACLEN=128         ;Why not?
                 VALIDCALLS=W6GO,VE3CDX,N0CWR,WA0PUJ,N0BIL,KN4F,WU3V,
          ;
          ENDPORT

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
            Charles.

            Normally I put .vxd files in WINDOWS/SYSTEM on Win98, but it may work in the bpq32 folder.

            I'll see if I can dig out the documentation that belongs with that file.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
              I have about 30 extra various DRSI cards if you ever need one Charles. I can send you one or so if yours die. I use one with BPQ, FBB on XP and works well thanks to John's help.

              D. Calder n4zkf
              IPad

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                Hi Dave. N4ZKF (098)
                I would like to buy a darsi from you, card, box or what ever.  I just want to play with that kind of system and get to understand it. I think drivers are still availabel on the internet.  Cost first note.  Also trying to forward withe you on 098, but never can get xeroed in on you. I can link with N0XR every day, but not you.  Thanks

                73 de Bob in Bethlehem, Pa. WB3DTG  (((   610-868-1112   )))    SEND NO MONEY PLEASE

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                  I am on an A3S pointed NW so your on the side is probably why. Send me enough to ship it and I'll give you one. Let me get in the garage this weekend and see how many of what types I have. I know I have over 30 total.

                  I'll let you know. You probably want one and an external HF 300b modem too.

                  D. Calder
                  IPad

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                    Thank you so.  I'll get in teh amil in a day or 2 and send to your CALL address.  I am very greatful.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012

                      I want to thank those who helped me with this.  I received two flavors of script for the TNC-X and they both worked.  Thank you.

                      I changed  the J1 and J2 jumpers on the TNC-X to 9600 baud.  Some old project must have had me at the 1200.  I also connected to the serial port to keep it simple stupid for me and not get into the issues of USB to Serial adapters.  I can later try to connect using the adapter.  But the serial port keeps the guessing out of it for now.

                      I did a complete reinstall by deleting all reference to BPQ32 in the registry and on the C drive.

                      I was able to connect to another station and monitor the freq. which was excellent! J

                      I copied my OSM directory to the location required by BPQ32 and the maps came up fine.  Still think an improvement would be to be able to point to a path and use that path rather than having dual directories to save drive space.

                      Question:  How do I get my station out of  Africa?  I thought the lats and the longs placed in the Locator area might be what trips this for BPQ32APRS?  It just might and I just have the lats and longs format written in the wrong way.  Example shown for the Locator is a little sketchy as it shows right now in the BPQ32.cfg file.  Not sure if there is a “/” you enter between the “nn”

                      Question:  I do not have a node setup right.  I click on BPQ32Nodes.exe and it goes to the Dos screen but then closes.  I also need to understand Quality I think to do a node.

                      Thanks for the help on getting me started and glad to be able to make some packets with BPQ32.

                      Jerry N7YGE.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                        Jerry,

                        If you are referring to the APRS Map, your location is set in the APRSDIGI section of BPQ32.cfg, with the LAT and LON statements. Position is in normal APRS format - eg LAT=5259.04N  LON=00107.01W  .(DDMM.MM or DDDMM.MM).

                        For the BPQ32 Nodes Map  http://nodemap.g8bpq.net:81/ the postion cones from the LOCATOR statement. This is either a "Grid Square", eg LOCATOR=IO92KX, or decimal degrees, positive for N and E, negative for S and W, eg LOCATOR=58.47576, -6.21168.

                        BPQNODES.exe is a program to save the Nodes table, and runs as a DOS program. The node is an integral part of bpq32, and always runs. To link to other nodes you have to get to grips with the NETROM concepts and parameters. including QUALITY.

[...]

                        Question:  How do I get my station out of  Africa?  I thought the lats and the longs placed in the Locator area might be what trips this for BPQ32APRS?  It just might and I just have the lats and longs format written in the wrong way.  Example shown for the Locator is a little sketchy as it shows right now in the BPQ32.cfg file.  Not sure if there is a “/R 21; you enter between the “nn”

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                          I have them all Bob. Do you want a 2 x 1200 baud port card or a 1 x 1200 port and an external 300 HF to go with it?

                          n4zkf
                          D. Calder
                          IPad

                        • afa1bu@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                            good idea... drsi cards are really neat.  I miss my 2x1200; ran that under JNOS years ago, which has a driver for that.  Very dependable and saved using external TNC's on VHF for a gateway.  I wish they were still made.  It was one of those innovations that was ahead of its time, back then.  And still do the job, without chewing up the RS232C com ports.  An alternative would be the BP-2's from Tigertronics, at $ 50 each...doesn't need external 12vdc.  Come in DB25, so need the DB9 to 25 adaptor.  --FYI, you can doctor up a DRSI card to run as high as 56K (not on RF of course), if have a use for a 56K AX25 application, or where a Bell 103 or 202 isn't do-able.  You shouldn't have much trouble doing DRSI on BPQ32, I think, however, check with John.
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                              I have about 30 and have used them for over 20 years. I even had a P4 motherboard built with ISA slots for the BBS about 5 years ago. I wouldn't run anything else. John even wrote an XP driver for them about a year or so that works great.

                              D. Calder
                              IPad