RE: [BPQ32] TNC2-Kissmode

  • Dave Zeph
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007

      Mike …. The best way to run a 1270C in KISS is to replace the MFJ Firmware EPROM, U23, with a JKISS EPROM.  This is a KISS-Only EPROM, the code for which is par of the V4.08 release.

      Find someone with an EPROM Programmer to burn one for you and you’ll not have this prolem again.

      73 -à Dave, W9ZRX

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
        > Mike
        > I think Ron N5IN may be able to help you with the needed EPROM

        Mike/N9PMO

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeph" <zephd@...> wrote:

        > Mike .. The best way to run a 1270C in KISS is to replace the MFJ
        Firmware
        > EPROM, U23, with a JKISS EPROM. This is a KISS-Only EPROM, the
        code for
        > which is par of the V4.08 release.
        >

        > Find someone with an EPROM Programmer to burn one for you and
        you'll not
        > have this prolem again.
        >

        > 73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX
        >

        > _____

        Behalf Of
        > n7zef
        > Sent: Monday, 05 November, 2007 20:40
        > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [BPQ32] TNC2-Kissmode
        >

        > Howdy;
        > With some help of a few other sysops out there, I do have my
        WinFBB
        > going w/BPQ 4.08. And works well.
        > One extra problem I am having is that the TNC2 tnc I am using
        (1270c)
        > will fall out of kiss mode, and I have to use Hyperterm to put it
        back
        > into kiss mode.
        > Is there a special setting to do this, a program I need to run, or
        > what?
        > What about using a simple Baycom TNC. I have one, and would like
        > use it sometime soon. What about programs / settings for that?
        >
        > Thanks for helping out all...
        >
        > 73
        > Mike - N7ZEF

      • Mike Reed
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
          I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find this file??

           73
           Mike - N7ZEF

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007

            Mike …. The Code for the JKISS EPROM was a part of G8BOQ’s V4.08a ZIP Package.

            I just sent it directly to your E-Mail address.  I’d just send one to you, but I won’t be home for another week.

            73 -à Dave, W9ZRX

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
              >Mike
              >In BPQ32_410A_Beta_Feb2007 there are commands available just for
              >the MFJ TNC that may help you.

              Mike/N9PMO

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@...> wrote:

              > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a
              prom burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I
              find this file??

              > 73
              > Mike - N7ZEF

            • Ron Stordahl N5IN
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@...> wrote:

                > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                this file??

                > 73
                > Mike - N7ZEF

                Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                get to it right away.

                As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!

                Ron, N5IN
              • kyn781
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                  I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.

                  -Adam Jacobs W7QI

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@...> wrote:

                  > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                  > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                  > this file??
                  > >
                  > > 73
                  > > Mike - N7ZEF
                  > >

                  > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                  > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                  > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                  > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                  > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                  > get to it right away.
                  >
                  > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                  > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                  > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
                  >
                  > Ron, N5IN

                • kv7j
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                    Try setkiss.zip in the files area... near the bottom.

                    V/R
                    Otto

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kyn781" <adam@...> wrote:

                    > I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
                    >
                    > -Adam Jacobs W7QI
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                    > > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                    > > this file??
                    > > >
                    > > > 73
                    > > > Mike - N7ZEF
                    > > >

                    > > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                    > > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                    > > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                    > > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                    > > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                    > > get to it right away.
                    > >
                    > > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                    > > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                    > > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
                    > >
                    > > Ron, N5IN

                  • Adam Jacobs
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                      Nope, no prom image in that zip file, just an executable.
                      any other guesses?

                      -Adam

                      On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM, kv7j <ottotune@...> wrote:

                      Try setkiss.zip in the files area... near the bottom.

                      V/R
                      Otto

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kyn781" <adam@...> wrote:

                      > I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
                      >
                      > -Adam Jacobs W7QI
                      >
                      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                      > > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                      > > this file??
                      > > >
                      > > > 73
                      > > > Mike - N7ZEF
                      > > >

                      > > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                      > > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                      > > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                      > > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                      > > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                      > > get to it right away.
                      > >
                      > > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                      > > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                      > > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
                      > >
                      > > Ron, N5IN

                    • Adam Jacobs
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                        Nevermind, everyone. I found it on an external site and uploaded it to the files section as kissdist.zip

                        -Adam W7QI

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 13, 2012
                          The files are in the Relatedfiles folder of the standard BPQ32 instsll.

                          73, John

                          href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:

                          > > I was afraid that is what was
                          going to have to happen. I have a prom
                          > burner, did several of the digi
                          nodes around here...wher do I find
                          > this file??
                          > >
                          > > 73
                          > > Mike - N7ZEF

                          Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this

                          group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as

                          documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                          > which
                          you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                          > this, I can
                          do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                          > get to it
                          right away.

                          > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the
                          JKISS eprom all the
                          > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go
                          away. I switched
                          > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and
                          it's the way to go!

                          > Ron, N5IN

                        • Adam Jacobs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                            That folder didn't install as part of my BPQ32 install. perhaps they install to someplace besides the program files folder?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                              It goes into the configuration/data folder.

                              John

                              I know that I'm responding to an ancient message... But I can't find this rom anywhere in the files section. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.

                              -Adam Jacobs W7QI

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ronstordahl@...> wrote:

                              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Reed" <n7zef@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I was afraid that is what was going to have to happen. I have a prom
                              > burner, did several of the digi nodes around here...wher do I find
                              > this file??
                              > >
                              > > 73
                              > > Mike - N7ZEF
                              > >

                              > Mike...I have added a folder KISSRoms to the files section of this
                              > group. It contains the images of JKISS and BPQKISS as well as
                              > documentation. For your application you can use the JKISS image,
                              > which you will need to burn to a 27C256. If you are unable to burn
                              > this, I can do so, but I have put my burner away and won't be able to
                              > get to it right away.
                              >
                              > As Dave ZRX pointed out, when you are using the JKISS eprom all the
                              > problems associated with the MFJ native code will go away. I switched
                              > to the JKISS code years away using Daves advice and it's the way to go!
                              >
                              > Ron, N5IN

                            • Ron Stordahl
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                                Adam

                                I have removed the KISS Rom images you uploaded pending further review.  I will try to contact Johan WG7J to see if he would approve.  In the mean time I don't think anyone will be inconvenienced.  The JKISS and BPQKISS images provided an eternity ago by John G8BPQ work perfectly in TNC2's and are included in the BPQ32 release structure.  It would be easy to miss them I do realize, but here is how you get to them:

                                Click 'Start' then in sequence 'All Programs', 'BPQ32' and then you will see in the drop down list several entries 'View xxxxx Folder'.  In this case click 'View Configuration Folder' and Windows Explorer will open.  There you will find a folder 'RelatedFiles'.  In that folder are the various KISS images provided by John G8BPQ as well as a HTML document describing them.  There is a document 'Kissroms.pdf' which explains the use of these images fairly well.  I suppose I should have added an item 'View RelatedFiles Folder', and perhaps I will in a later release.

                                Without the drop down list I will agree it would be hard to find all these items, but this was made necessary by Microsoft's Vista and beyond policy of enforcing separation of Application Data from Program Files by means of those annoying UAC warnings, viz 'Do you really want to do this!'.

                                Ron, AE5E