BPQ32 "lock-up"

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
      Last night I had a "lock-up" on my bbs computer. This is very rare, but each time it happens, it seems to be for the same reason. "Very rare" means, perhaps, a month or two apart.

      Here is the error report that I get:

          WFBB caused an access violation in BPQ32.dll at 0x420331fa.
          Click on CLOSE to terminate the application.
          Click in IGNORE to continue, you should save your work in a new file.

      I am using WinXP Pro. WFBB and BPQMailChat are running on the same computer.

      Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

      73,  K.O. n0kfq

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
        K.O

        Check the number of stream in use with FBB & any other program that uses
        BPQ32 running, BPQStatus.EXE 64 is max

        Mike-N9PMO

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
            In the BPQ32 Folder, click on the BPQStatus.exe numbers with an asterisk
            Are in use.

            Mike-N9PMO

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
              It shows that 23 are in use (asterisk). I have only 16 set up in BPQMailChat. Is this my problem?

              K.O.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
                  If you have done resent upgrades to BPQMailChat, Shut down all programs
                  using
                  BPQ32, open the BPQ32 Folder, Related Files, Bpqded folder, unzip the
                  Bpqded.zip

                  If BPQDED32.DLL is in the FBB\BIN folder Delete it, then copy or move the
                  TFWIN.DLL
                  To FBB\BIN folder replacing old version.

                  Copy or move the bpqded32.dll to Windows\System32 folder.

                  Note, it is best before closing the last program using BPQ32, to open the
                  BPQ32 Console window,
                  Actions, Close all BPQ32 Programs, depending on version or BPQ32 it may be
                  under Windows
                  Instead of Actions, this will insure no programs are still using BPQ32.DLL,
                  in some cases
                  The computer will need to be re-booted is this method is not used.

                  Let me know if this solves the problem.

                  Mike-N9PMO

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
                      Yes the bpq32.dll must remain in the system32 folder

                      Mike-N9PMO

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
                        Okay, thanks very much. I won't be able to tell you if it works, but if it does not
                        work, I'll let you know.

                        73,  K.O. n0kfq

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
                          I was digging around and tried com0com, a virtual null-modem progran that creates virtual com ports and links them.

                          That's "com-zero-com"  - com0com

                          If you have Microsoft Net framework 2.0 installed, then you get a nice GUI interface for setting up com0com.

                          Otherwise, it's the command line for you, buddy!

                          It worked perfectly for linking a BPQ Async port to MixW's virtual KISS TNC function.

                          So I get to use MixW as a KISS TNC, and it only took one real COM port for the soundcard interface PTT. - The link between MixW and BPQ is virtual.

                          Works great, it's free, etc... Highly recommended.

                          73 DE Charles, N5PVL
                        • Mark Milburn
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 30, 2012
                            I use VSPE...Virtual Serial Ports Emulator...free for
                            the 32 bit version.  Really easy to  use, even for us dummies.
                            I use it for connecting BPQ to Mix|W and/or MultiPSK so
                            I can use those sound cards as my TNC.

                            Mark Milburn KQ0I
                            Des Moines, IA

                            on Skype, YahooIM and Google Chat as: markkq0i

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 31, 2012

                              The BPQ32 installation includes two virtual serial port programs, which are designed to link BPQ32 to programs like MixW and MultiPSK.

                              http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/G8BPQ%20Virtual%20Serial%20Port%20Driver.htm

                              http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/G8BPQ%20User%20Mode%20Virtual%20Serial%20Port%20Driver.htm

                              One is a kernel mode and the other a user mode driver. There are advantages and disadvantages of each – see the docs for details.

                              These are used in conjunction with the VKISS Driver - http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm to link progams providing a KISS interface to BPQ32. It can be used with client programs that support KISS, as well as sound card modems like MixW.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                                Has anyone had success setting up virtual COM ports on a Win98 machine, to use MixW in virtual KISS TNC mode for example with BPQ32?

                                73 DE Charles, N5PVL
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                                  Charles,

                                  There is a WIN98 version of the BPQ32 Virtual COM driver, but it isn't in the standard install. The dirver,.BPQVCOMM.VXD can be downloaded from the Files section of this gruop.

                                  Place in it WINDOWS/SYSTEM, and run the BPQ32 VCOMConfig.exe program to create virtual COM ports.

                                  Configure a BPQ32 VKISS port to talk to it - http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                                    Hi CHarles. On win98 and even win95 I used the vcomm
                                    driver that is on the mixW download page. they have various
                                    drivers/utilities on that page near the bottom. GL
                                    and 73,

                                    Steven - N1OHX