Logging into BPQ32 via Telnet with other OS X/Linux

  • Josh Housey
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi All,

      The name here is Josh, AB9FT (kg9bo is my former call) from Sheboygan,
      Wisconsin.

      I just recent purchased a sound card interface to use it for packet
      with my Icom dual-band mobile. I am running this as a "secondary"
      packet station for other packet stuff such as the ISS. When it is not
      there, I leave on a regular packet frequency for a "personal" packet
      station. The main stuff is tied to regular packet and HF/VHF APRS. I
      had anticipated to get all of this running under Linux with a program
      called soundmodem but Linux doesn't like my PTT device (USB/Serial
      adapter). Instead, I have to use AGWPE.

      So far, it is not doing a bad job. I am finding all the programs that
      I need (digipeater, pbbs program, node program, etc). I could access
      all of this stuff off the radio if I want to. I want the option to be
      able to access the station off telnet from the local are network to
      access its radio.

      So far, there were two setups that are thought to work with this. The
      first was TelMgr and Digiplex but I cannot get that working at all.
      The other setup is BPQ32. This is what is strange about this. BPQ32's
      Remote Telnet Server works for all purposes and it is indicated to be
      running and it is.

      The thing is that when I telnet to it via Windows (at this computer),
      everything works correctly. I get the user, password prompts, enter
      them correctly and I get the BPQ32 node. When I try this with a Mac or
      Linux, I get the user prompt and enter my call and I don't get the
      password prompt at all.

      I There was an option in the Remote Telnet Server config file that was
      local echo and changed it and it did nothing. The only other thing
      would be is that BPQ32 doesn't accept LAN connections but I don't
      think this is right.

      f anyone has had luck telneting into BPQ32 with something other than
      Windows, I would like their suggestions with this. If it is going to
      involve changing my Mac/Unix clients to do this, I wouldn't have an
      idea where to start.

      All suggestions will be appreciated.

      73
      Josh, AB9FT
    • Josh Housey
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Housey" <kg9bo@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > The name here is Josh, AB9FT (kg9bo is my former call) from Sheboygan,
        > Wisconsin.
        >
        > I just recent purchased a sound card interface to use it for packet
        > with my Icom dual-band mobile. I am running this as a "secondary"
        > packet station for other packet stuff such as the ISS. When it is not
        > there, I leave on a regular packet frequency for a "personal" packet
        > station. The main stuff is tied to regular packet and HF/VHF APRS. I
        > had anticipated to get all of this running under Linux with a program
        > called soundmodem but Linux doesn't like my PTT device (USB/Serial
        > adapter). Instead, I have to use AGWPE.
        >
        > So far, it is not doing a bad job. I am finding all the programs that
        > I need (digipeater, pbbs program, node program, etc). I could access
        > all of this stuff off the radio if I want to. I want the option to be
        > able to access the station off telnet from the local are network to
        > access its radio.
        >
        > So far, there were two setups that are thought to work with this. The
        > first was TelMgr and Digiplex but I cannot get that working at all.
        > The other setup is BPQ32. This is what is strange about this. BPQ32's
        > Remote Telnet Server works for all purposes and it is indicated to be
        > running and it is.
        >
        > The thing is that when I telnet to it via Windows (at this computer),
        > everything works correctly. I get the user, password prompts, enter
        > them correctly and I get the BPQ32 node. When I try this with a Mac or
        > Linux, I get the user prompt and enter my call and I don't get the
        > password prompt at all.
        >
        > I There was an option in the Remote Telnet Server config file that was
        > local echo and changed it and it did nothing. The only other thing
        > would be is that BPQ32 doesn't accept LAN connections but I don't
        > think this is right.
        >
        > f anyone has had luck telneting into BPQ32 with something other than
        > Windows, I would like their suggestions with this. If it is going to
        > involve changing my Mac/Unix clients to do this, I wouldn't have an
        > idea where to start.
        >
        > All suggestions will be appreciated.
        >
        > 73
        > Josh, AB9FT

        I have gotten this to work with a Unix telnet client called PuTTY.
        This client also works well with Windows as well.

        For some reason, I changed nothing with PuTTY and got the
        user/password correctly when I telneted into it.

        If any has been able to do this with the telnet command in a terminal
        with Linux/Mac OS X, I would be interested in any responses.

        I have a feature request for the Remote Telnet Server and for BPQ32,
        if it has not been done. What I would like to do is to connect to the
        laptop that is running AGWPE/BPQ and get a trace of its radio ports.
        It is the same idea as the Telnet Remote Server but add the ability t
        monitor the radio ports. As far as I am aware, none of the AGW
        programs will do this, they require the use of the Windows machine. I
        don't want to do this but be able to do everything from my Mac.

        I can already do this with a program called TelMgr but it doesn't
        display what digipeater the packets are coming from. Other then that,
        it does a good job of displaying everything else.

        73
        Josh, AB9FT
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
          > I have a feature request for the Remote Telnet Server and for BPQ32,
          > if it has not been done. What I would like to do is to connect to
          the
          > laptop that is running AGWPE/BPQ and get a trace of its radio ports.
          > It is the same idea as the Telnet Remote Server but add the ability
          > monitor the radio ports. As far as I am aware, none of the AGW
          > programs will do this, they require the use of the Windows machine.
          > don't want to do this but be able to do everything from my Mac.
          >
          > I can already do this with a program called TelMgr but it doesn't
          > display what digipeater the packets are coming from. Other then
          that,
          > it does a good job of displaying everything else.
          >
          > 73
          > Josh, AB9FT

          Hi,

          Enter \\\mon on to enable remote monitoring, and \\\mon off to stop
          it. And before anyone asks, no, there is no way at the moment to
          select individual ports or message types - it is all or nothing!

          73,
          John G8BPQ
        • MHarloff
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
            John,

            Does this need sysop status or can any user do it ?

            - Mark K2CAN

            > I have a feature request for the Remote Telnet Server and for BPQ32,
            > if it has not been done. What I would like to do is to connect to
            the
            > laptop that is running AGWPE/BPQ and get a trace of its radio ports.
            > It is the same idea as the Telnet Remote Server but add the ability
            > monitor the radio ports. As far as I am aware, none of the AGW
            > programs will do this, they require the use of the Windows machine.
            > don't want to do this but be able to do everything from my Mac.
            >
            > I can already do this with a program called TelMgr but it doesn't
            > display what digipeater the packets are coming from. Other then
            that,
            > it does a good job of displaying everything else.
            >
            > 73
            > Josh, AB9FT

            Hi,

            Enter \\\mon on to enable remote monitoring, and \\\mon off to stop
            it. And before anyone asks, no, there is no way at the moment to
            select individual ports or message types - it is all or nothing!

            73,
            John G8BPQ

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "MHarloff" <mharloff@...> wrote:

              > John,
              >
              > Does this need sysop status or can any user do it ?
              >
              > - Mark K2CAN

              Hi Mark,

              No, it doesn't need any special status.

              John

              10/31/2007 10:06 AM

            • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
                John Wiseman wrote:

                > Enter \\\mon on to enable remote monitoring, and \\\mon off to stop
                > it. And before anyone asks, no, there is no way at the moment to
                > select individual ports or message types - it is all or nothing!

                Btw, I am interested in monitoring radio ports of DOS JNOS 1.11f which
                does not run BPQ, but which I communicate by using BPQ32 (AXIP line). I
                would like to see what is going on at JNOS radio channels and to see
                that within BPQ32 terminal (Win2000 machine). Is that possible?

                Misko YT7MPB
              • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2008
                  Hi all,

                  I started to experiment with AA4RE BBS and BPQ 4.08/4.09, using KISS
                  TNC. I have noticed that besides usual BPQ ports in AA4RE 2.13t, it is
                  also suggested to play with as if there is a DRSI card but without using
                  TNCTSR etc. It makes me wonder which approach is more memory efficient,
                  because here I have only 1 meg of memory and I need to run not only
                  AA4RE + bpqcode but a NIC driver for ethernet connection as well. At the
                  moment, I run everything but AA4RE as 'load high' and when BB is active
                  there is less than 100kb of free RAM /even less with a lot of messages
                  in the system/.

                  Btw, what are the most appropriate values of files= and buffers= lines
                  in config.sys when running such a system? For the moment, I only need an
                  AA4RE/BPQ setup that is capable to forward mails with the FBB/BPQ32
                  system in the same LAN.

                  Misko YT7MPB
                • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)