RE: [BPQ32] APRS Client - High CPU loading

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012

      Ok, Peter,

      Unfortunately I don’t have a slow machine here to try it on.

      Even with 10000 stations it only uses a few percent on my Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz based laptop, but I realise that a direct comparison of clock speed between old and new processors can be misleading.

      Do you see the problem with a very low number of stations? – I’m interested to know if it is drawing the map that takes so much, or adding the station icons.

      I could probably add an option to refresh less often for slow machines.

    • Daryll Webb
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
        I have one ghz with 256 ram
        every 10sec my pros hits 100% for one sec then back to 1-5%
        Network use is nothing   it will not even show on graph.
        My vidio card is oe so it will be real small mem.
        Buster kg9nd

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012

          Hi Ken

          Can you send me a copy of your APRS Digi and your APRS Port from your config file ?? There are a few things I do not understand.  If I see yours, maybe it will answer a lot of questions.  I don’t believe the EJ-40U TNC in my Alinco DR-135TP will work it its KISS mode as it is limited.  I will give it a try.

          Thanks  Bill

        • Peter - ZL2BAU
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
            On 04/03/12 00:27, John Wiseman wrote:

            Ok, Peter,

            Unfortunately I don’t have a slow machine here to try it on.

            Even with 10000 stations it only uses a few percent on my Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz based laptop, but I realise that a direct comparison of clock speed between old and new processors can be misleading.

            Do you see the problem with a very low number of stations? – I’m interested to know if it is drawing the map that takes so much, or adding the station icons.

            I could probably add an option to refresh less often for slow machines.

            Hi John,

                       Thanks for checking it out, I don`t see it as a problem for an average user as machines now days are fast and you wouldn`t see this effect, my machine here maybe needs another shovel full of coal, Hi Hi.

            It is only a problem as the map becomes more populated BUT it is only for a second or so where the mouse etc stops to function, on a faster machine, you don`t even notice it.

            I thought I would just mention it in case someone else had a similar problem but I am certainly not going to worry about it.

            Regards ..... Peter