Re: [BPQ32] APRS Client

  • Peter - ZL2BAU
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
      On 03/03/12 22:37, John Wiseman wrote:

      Peter,

      How many stations do you have in the list? (count is in the box next to Lat/Lon at the bottom of the map window)

      Thanks,

      Regards ..... Peter

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012

        Ok, Peter,

        Unfortunately I don’t have a slow machine here to try it on.

        Even with 10000 stations it only uses a few percent on my Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz based laptop, but I realise that a direct comparison of clock speed between old and new processors can be misleading.

        Do you see the problem with a very low number of stations? – I’m interested to know if it is drawing the map that takes so much, or adding the station icons.

        I could probably add an option to refresh less often for slow machines.

      • Daryll Webb
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
          I have one ghz with 256 ram
          every 10sec my pros hits 100% for one sec then back to 1-5%
          Network use is nothing   it will not even show on graph.
          My vidio card is oe so it will be real small mem.
          Buster kg9nd

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012

            Hi Ken

            Can you send me a copy of your APRS Digi and your APRS Port from your config file ?? There are a few things I do not understand.  If I see yours, maybe it will answer a lot of questions.  I don’t believe the EJ-40U TNC in my Alinco DR-135TP will work it its KISS mode as it is limited.  I will give it a try.

            Thanks  Bill

          • Peter - ZL2BAU
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
              On 04/03/12 00:27, John Wiseman wrote:

              Ok, Peter,

              Unfortunately I don’t have a slow machine here to try it on.

              Even with 10000 stations it only uses a few percent on my Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz based laptop, but I realise that a direct comparison of clock speed between old and new processors can be misleading.

              Do you see the problem with a very low number of stations? – I’m interested to know if it is drawing the map that takes so much, or adding the station icons.

              I could probably add an option to refresh less often for slow machines.

              Hi John,

                         Thanks for checking it out, I don`t see it as a problem for an average user as machines now days are fast and you wouldn`t see this effect, my machine here maybe needs another shovel full of coal, Hi Hi.

              It is only a problem as the map becomes more populated BUT it is only for a second or so where the mouse etc stops to function, on a faster machine, you don`t even notice it.

              I thought I would just mention it in case someone else had a similar problem but I am certainly not going to worry about it.

              Regards ..... Peter