RE: [BPQ32] Re: Port Confusion

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
      Steve

      BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
      don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
      connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1 like
      I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
      Mailbox?

      Mike-N9PMO
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to central Maine.

        Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32 forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion, whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

        Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

        Best regards,
        Steve KB1TCE

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
          Steve

          No bugs, you must have had a band opening yesterday and a band drop on 6
          meters making the Quality heard higher (more times heard) on 2 meters,
          any netrom will always use the port with the highest port quality, that
          is the point of a netrom to remember what port will be the most reliable
          for a connection, Are you seeing polling transmissions between your node
          and other Netroms?

          If you are you can add to the RF ports NOKEEPALIVES=1 statement below
          the
          PROTOCOL=KISS statement, up front this won't solve your problem, the
          only
          Real way to solve the intermittent 2 meter connection is again to Lock
          your node
          Partner below your MINQUAL= setting, or increase the MINQUAL= for the 2
          meter port, locking the 2 meter port below the MINQUAL= for the 2 meter
          port is probably a easier way.

          I am glad to hear that someone is finally using 6 meters for Packet
          Radio
          FM or SSB?

          Mike-N9PMO

          I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the
          only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and
          we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to
          central Maine.

          Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but
          we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing
          any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or
          BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to
          KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32
          forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion,
          whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it
          sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better
          frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

          Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

          Best regards,
          Steve KB1TCE

          > Steve
          >
          > BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
          > don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
          > connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1
          like
          > I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
          > Mailbox?
          >
          > Mike-N9PMO
          > www.n9pmo.com

          -----
          No virus found in this message.
          03/02/12
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
            Hi Mike,

            OK, starting to make sense now. And, yes, I am seeing the polling transmissions.

            As to 6 meters, I had been just 2 meters (the common Maine freq of 145.010) since over a year ago when Jeff and Ken helped me get set up. For the folks who were out of range of 2 meters direct, they either used one of the digis around here or got access via my HF Winmor port. We started playing with 6 meter voice and digital (PSK-125R mostly), both USB and FM and then figured it might make a good band to use for packet and sure enough.

            We had to get through some local interference issues (my latest was a battery charger that desensed my radio) and set up some decent antennas.  We're all FM using horizontal polarization. My radio is an Alinco DR-06T and I'm using a TNC-X. KB1DBL is using an FT-897 with UZ7HO's modem for 6 and the station that's just setting up now (KB1UTD) is using an FT-897 with KPC-3.

            Other than us there's almost no 6 meter activity around here that I'm aware of. Our club has a 6 meter repeater but it's rarely used.

            73,
            Steve KB1TCE

            03/02/12