Network card in Windows XP with BPQ32

  • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
      Hi,

      Recently I changed the NIC in my computer, in order to enable Windows XP
      to use it. (Earlier it was a NE2000 clone ISA card that Windows 2000
      recognized, but XP did not. Now it is a 3C905 PCI one which both OS's
      can install.) The problem is that under Windows 2000 (multi-boot
      computer) BPQ32 uses the card without problems /as it did before with
      the old card/, but under Windows XP I get a message "Bind Failed for RAW
      socket - error code = 10013". Btw, the local area network between that
      computer and the other one is quite fine, it seems just BPQ does not
      want to initialize. Any idea? Any difference between the OS's related to
      BPQ32?

      Misko YT7MPB
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
        Hi Misco,

        I think this is caused by running without admin rights in XP. It seems that only admin uses can use raw sockets, as used by AX/IP. You could try either switching to  AX/UDP, or runing bpq32  as an administrator.

        Recently I changed the NIC in my computer, in order to enable Windows XP
        to use it. (Earlier it was a NE2000 clone ISA card that Windows 2000
        recognized, but XP did not. Now it is a 3C905 PCI one which both OS's
        can install.) The problem is that under Windows 2000 (multi-boot
        computer) BPQ32 uses the card without problems /as it did before with
        the old card/, but under Windows XP I get a message "Bind Failed for RAW
        socket - error code = 10013". Btw, the local area network between that
        computer and the other one is quite fine, it seems just BPQ does not
        want to initialize. Any idea? Any difference between the OS's related to
        BPQ32?

        Misko YT7MPB

      • MIchael Melnik Sr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
          Misko YT7MPB
          Here is one of the 3COM Ddrivers i do have a latest one but to large
          to send threw the group.
          It is in the Files secontion, if you want the latest version send me
          a E-Mail.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
          <skoric@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Recently I changed the NIC in my computer, in order to enable
          Windows XP
          > to use it. (Earlier it was a NE2000 clone ISA card that Windows
          2000
          > recognized, but XP did not. Now it is a 3C905 PCI one which both
          OS's
          > can install.) The problem is that under Windows 2000 (multi-boot
          > computer) BPQ32 uses the card without problems /as it did before
          with
          > the old card/, but under Windows XP I get a message "Bind Failed
          for RAW
          > socket - error code = 10013". Btw, the local area network between
          that
          > computer and the other one is quite fine, it seems just BPQ does
          not
          > want to initialize. Any idea? Any difference between the OS's
          related to
          > BPQ32?
          >
          > Misko YT7MPB

        • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
            John Wiseman wrote:

            > Hi Misco,
            >
            > I think this is caused by running without admin rights in XP. It seems that
            > only admin uses can use raw sockets, as used by AX/IP. You could try either
            > switching to AX/UDP, or runing bpq32 as an administrator.

            Thank you John. Is it possible to start bpq32 as a system service (in
            the background) regardless of the user's rights? That might be a solution.

            Misko YT7MPB

          • TDxBPQ@tonev.org.uk
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
              I run a node in North London (ENF1). Is there any way I can build up or
              find out a list of users who actually log on to the node?

              73

              Tony
              G4CJC
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
                Hi Misco,

                It is possible to run bpq32.exe as a service using Microsoft's srvany utility, but I have not done any significant testing with this. It would probably be better to get your partners to use UDP rather than raw IP, if that is possible.

                Regards,