Re: Port Confusion

  • kb1tce
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
      Mike,

      That worked. Many thanks. I hate it when the software is that smart :-)

      73,
      Steve, KB1TCE

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
        Steve

        You may not receiving it direct but threw another node on your 2 meter
        port, in any case the quality was
        higher on your 2 meter port, the other way around it is by setting a
        locked route quality 2 lower then your
        MINQUAL on the 2 meter port, after the node obsolescence falls below
        your MINQUAL= the connection
        then will be made on the 6 meter port, I have to do the same here as one
        local station is on both
        AXIP and RF with me, so it will try to take the AXIP port.

        73

        Mike-N9PMO

        -----
      • shansen@belljar.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
          Mike,

          I'm quite sure it was direct. I haven't verified it yet but his alternate
          location is right across the river from me, half as far away as his QTH
          and no hills. He very seldom operates from there which is probably why
          I've never noticed it before.

          Anyway, learn something new every day.

          Thanks again.

          Steve KB1TCE

        • kb1tce
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
            I guess that the next question is, can this behavior be suspended such that if I want the connect to be made by a specific port, it will do that regardless of the comparative quality values?

            Thanks,
            Steve KB1TCE

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
              Steve

              BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
              don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
              connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1 like
              I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
              Mailbox?

              Mike-N9PMO

              -----
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                Hi Mike,

                I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to central Maine.

                Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32 forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion, whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

                Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

                Best regards,
                Steve KB1TCE

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Steve

                  No bugs, you must have had a band opening yesterday and a band drop on 6
                  meters making the Quality heard higher (more times heard) on 2 meters,
                  any netrom will always use the port with the highest port quality, that
                  is the point of a netrom to remember what port will be the most reliable
                  for a connection, Are you seeing polling transmissions between your node
                  and other Netroms?

                  If you are you can add to the RF ports NOKEEPALIVES=1 statement below
                  the
                  PROTOCOL=KISS statement, up front this won't solve your problem, the
                  only
                  Real way to solve the intermittent 2 meter connection is again to Lock
                  your node
                  Partner below your MINQUAL= setting, or increase the MINQUAL= for the 2
                  meter port, locking the 2 meter port below the MINQUAL= for the 2 meter
                  port is probably a easier way.

                  I am glad to hear that someone is finally using 6 meters for Packet
                  Radio
                  FM or SSB?

                  Mike-N9PMO

                  I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the
                  only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and
                  we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to
                  central Maine.

                  Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but
                  we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing
                  any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or
                  BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to
                  KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32
                  forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion,
                  whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it
                  sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better
                  frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

                  Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

                  Best regards,
                  Steve KB1TCE

                  > Steve
                  >
                  > BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
                  > don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
                  > connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1
                  like
                  > I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
                  > Mailbox?
                  >
                  > Mike-N9PMO
                  > www.n9pmo.com

                  -----
                  No virus found in this message.
                  03/02/12
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                    Hi Mike,

                    OK, starting to make sense now. And, yes, I am seeing the polling transmissions.

                    As to 6 meters, I had been just 2 meters (the common Maine freq of 145.010) since over a year ago when Jeff and Ken helped me get set up. For the folks who were out of range of 2 meters direct, they either used one of the digis around here or got access via my HF Winmor port. We started playing with 6 meter voice and digital (PSK-125R mostly), both USB and FM and then figured it might make a good band to use for packet and sure enough.

                    We had to get through some local interference issues (my latest was a battery charger that desensed my radio) and set up some decent antennas.  We're all FM using horizontal polarization. My radio is an Alinco DR-06T and I'm using a TNC-X. KB1DBL is using an FT-897 with UZ7HO's modem for 6 and the station that's just setting up now (KB1UTD) is using an FT-897 with KPC-3.

                    Other than us there's almost no 6 meter activity around here that I'm aware of. Our club has a 6 meter repeater but it's rarely used.

                    73,
                    Steve KB1TCE

                    03/02/12