RE: [BPQ32] Port Confusion

  • shansen@belljar.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
      Mike,

      That could be the case. I never get that station on 2 meters but today he
      was connecting very nicely. I think he may have been operating from a
      different location. I'll see if I can verify that.

      Thanks,
      Steve KB1TCE

      > Steve
      >
      > I think you are receiving the same station on both frequencies, it will
      > always connect on the port that
      > has the higher quality in the nodes table, if this is the case, use c 2
      > the stations Alias with a SSID -0
      > ea. c 2 wirac-0
      >
      > Mike-N9PMO
      > www.n9pmo.com

    • kb1tce
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
        Mike,

        That worked. Many thanks. I hate it when the software is that smart :-)

        73,
        Steve, KB1TCE

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
          Steve

          You may not receiving it direct but threw another node on your 2 meter
          port, in any case the quality was
          higher on your 2 meter port, the other way around it is by setting a
          locked route quality 2 lower then your
          MINQUAL on the 2 meter port, after the node obsolescence falls below
          your MINQUAL= the connection
          then will be made on the 6 meter port, I have to do the same here as one
          local station is on both
          AXIP and RF with me, so it will try to take the AXIP port.

          73

          Mike-N9PMO

          -----
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2012
            Mike,

            I'm quite sure it was direct. I haven't verified it yet but his alternate
            location is right across the river from me, half as far away as his QTH
            and no hills. He very seldom operates from there which is probably why
            I've never noticed it before.

            Anyway, learn something new every day.

            Thanks again.

            Steve KB1TCE

          • kb1tce
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
              I guess that the next question is, can this behavior be suspended such that if I want the connect to be made by a specific port, it will do that regardless of the comparative quality values?

              Thanks,
              Steve KB1TCE

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                Steve

                BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
                don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
                connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1 like
                I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
                Mailbox?

                Mike-N9PMO

                -----
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Hi Mike,

                  I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to central Maine.

                  Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32 forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion, whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

                  Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

                  Best regards,
                  Steve KB1TCE

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                    Steve

                    No bugs, you must have had a band opening yesterday and a band drop on 6
                    meters making the Quality heard higher (more times heard) on 2 meters,
                    any netrom will always use the port with the highest port quality, that
                    is the point of a netrom to remember what port will be the most reliable
                    for a connection, Are you seeing polling transmissions between your node
                    and other Netroms?

                    If you are you can add to the RF ports NOKEEPALIVES=1 statement below
                    the
                    PROTOCOL=KISS statement, up front this won't solve your problem, the
                    only
                    Real way to solve the intermittent 2 meter connection is again to Lock
                    your node
                    Partner below your MINQUAL= setting, or increase the MINQUAL= for the 2
                    meter port, locking the 2 meter port below the MINQUAL= for the 2 meter
                    port is probably a easier way.

                    I am glad to hear that someone is finally using 6 meters for Packet
                    Radio
                    FM or SSB?

                    Mike-N9PMO

                    I'll give a bit of background. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was the
                    only BPQ32 BBS in this area. A couple of other guys are setting up and
                    we'll be in an area roughly encompassing the midcoast region of Maine to
                    central Maine.

                    Each of us is generally out of the range of the others on 2 meters but
                    we started to use 6 and so far, so good. At this point we are not doing
                    any forwarding, just connecting to each others BBS using Outpost or
                    BPQTerminal. The ability yesterday for me to connect directly to
                    KB1DBL-1 on 2 meters was an anomaly. What surprised me was that BPQ32
                    forced me to use the 2 meter port. If, for some reason (congestion,
                    whatever) I specifically wanted to use 6 meters for the connection, it
                    sounds like BPQ32 will force me to what it has determined is the better
                    frequency unless I take measures otherwise.

                    Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a bug to our heads.

                    Best regards,
                    Steve KB1TCE

                    > Steve
                    >
                    > BPQ will always connect on the port with the highest quality if you
                    > don't want to use the C 2 Alias -0 but always want to make the
                    > connection on port 2 then you will need to lock the route on port 1
                    like
                    > I described last night, are you forwarding from a BBS to a BBS or
                    > Mailbox?
                    >
                    > Mike-N9PMO
                    > www.n9pmo.com

                    -----
                    No virus found in this message.
                    03/02/12
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                      Hi Mike,

                      OK, starting to make sense now. And, yes, I am seeing the polling transmissions.

                      As to 6 meters, I had been just 2 meters (the common Maine freq of 145.010) since over a year ago when Jeff and Ken helped me get set up. For the folks who were out of range of 2 meters direct, they either used one of the digis around here or got access via my HF Winmor port. We started playing with 6 meter voice and digital (PSK-125R mostly), both USB and FM and then figured it might make a good band to use for packet and sure enough.

                      We had to get through some local interference issues (my latest was a battery charger that desensed my radio) and set up some decent antennas.  We're all FM using horizontal polarization. My radio is an Alinco DR-06T and I'm using a TNC-X. KB1DBL is using an FT-897 with UZ7HO's modem for 6 and the station that's just setting up now (KB1UTD) is using an FT-897 with KPC-3.

                      Other than us there's almost no 6 meter activity around here that I'm aware of. Our club has a 6 meter repeater but it's rarely used.

                      73,
                      Steve KB1TCE

                      03/02/12