Re: [BPQ32] BPQ32 running now..

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 22, 2005
      ve7ihl wrote:

      > OK,
      > I have managed to get the BPQ32 stuff starting to run under Windows
      > XP. The last time I had used BPQ was in the days of DOS 6.2, so it
      > has been a long time! I was kind of hoping that there would be a
      > windows installer available so I could just run a single exe, answer
      > a few questions and have it all running.
      >
      > If there was interest, I could use the NSIS windows installer tool
      > and create an installer for BPQ32. It could be as simple as just
      > extract and copy the files to the default location on the hard
      > drive, or it could also ask the user some questions, have them fill
      > in some fields (Call signs, node ids, etc) and create a starting
      > BPQCFG.Txt file and run the BPCCfg.exe utility for them. Let me know
      > if this would be usefull.

      I am a little skeptical about an installer program, because in practice
      BPQ32 may require frequent reconfiguration due to a changing user
      environment. While the bpqcfg.txt file does at first glance seem
      complex, it is very complete. A graphical interface to set all of this
      would be quite big, and I think it would be ackward. That's my
      opinion. At least right now.

      > A few questions for the BPQ32 experts out there:
      > - When you run BPQ32.Exe, it opens a 2nd DOS window, leaving two of
      > them open. Is this the normal way to start it up?

      If you start (without any other BPQ stuff running) BPQ32.exe, it brings
      up either 2 or 3 windows. BPQ32 which is the switch, and which is used
      by all modules. AXIP resolver if you are using the AX/IP/UDP interface,
      and AXIP MHeard if you have the MHeard in the bpqaxip.cfg file. This is
      pretty much the minimal application.

      > - There is both a BPqmon32 and BPQterminal program. Which one does
      > most people use?

      In the beta document you will see that bpqmon32.exe, although currently
      provided, will probably be eliminated after the beta period is ended as
      it's function is contained within BPQTerminal.exe.

      > - The AGWtoBPQ.exe program, is this normally run after loading
      > BPQ32.exe ? Is this an additional input interface into the node?

      No. With no BPQ32 modules running you should start AGWtoBPQ.exe. It
      will bring up everything which is needed to use the AGW link interface.

      > - Is AGWto BPQ.exe what I should be using with WinFBB32?

      I have no knowledge of WinFBB32, but from the name it sounds like this
      is a Windows program. I am guessing it has an existing AGWPE
      interface? If so, then it can use instead AGWtoBPQ just as it would
      have used AGWPE. The benefit is that with AGWtoBPQ you get the full
      NET/ROM capability.

      Ron, N5IN

      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 6, 2006
        Hi John,
        I replaced the the earlier (jan.) with your new one, i am not sure how to cfg. the
        ports in the bpqcfg.txt  with wimfbb 7.01A

        i have the UNPROTO=MAIL in the ports 1, 2, and 3 statement, port 4 is my
        axip port, in the statement for port 4 I left out the UNPROTO=, then i tried
        UNPROTO=0 it still send a beacon out on port 4, also is there a way to include
        a Via in just one port? I tried UNPROTO=MAIL V IQP on port 3 with no luck,
        in each case i ran the bpqcfg.exe as it is now I have to have the Via in the Beacon1.txt in WinFBB..

        Mike/N9PMO