RE: [BPQ32] NEW BPQ32 & the parallel port?

  • David Calder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
      I'm still using BPQ with two DRSI cards. One of the reasons I have never upgraded
      anything. I even had a motherboard specially built with two ISA slots so I could
      continue to use your driver and node.

      About two months ago I went to XP, the new FBB and tried it on another machine.
      Half the Bbs's could connect and pass bulletins, the other have it just wouldn't work.
      After about two weeks working with some of you guys with no fix. I just dumped
      the idea and stayed with what I have.

      17 years and counting John!

      73 Dave
      n4zkf

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
        Hi John,

        The BAYCOM team have been selling the new PCI version (four modems
        daughter board plug ins) of their BUS cards for USCC for some time
        now. Newer PCs still have PCI slots I think. So your DRSI/USCC driver
        would be of use to people who have those cards.
        Fewer PCs come with serial ports, so the Parallel port might become
        more desired for BPQ32 in future?

        I use Win98se myself. I didn't want to "rent XP" as it isn't (now
        replaced by VISTA) available to buy unconditionally. All use has to
        be approved by a telephone call centre & requires renewing after any
        hardware change. Used copies of Win2k are becoming available at a
        price I can manage, so I may move up to that in time.

        I think there are now some TNCs equipped for direct connection to the
        USB ports on newer PCs. I haven't any of those sort of TNCs myself.
        I don't know if those USB TNCs are for 9k6.

        The BAYCOM web site talks about UBER PACKET MODEMS for 76KBPS using
        the parallel port?
        Definitely beyond the ratings for the serial port.
        I don't know anybody in ZL with such a high data rate Packet modem.

        The ZL KIWISAT under developement in Auckland is to have 9k6 standard
        G3RUH & getting 9k6 Packet going for the launch is desireable.
        Other 70cm band 9k6 uses are for APRS data links between 2m APRS
        nodes. The local BBS has a 9k6 port on 70cm besides the 1k2 2m port &
        the 1k2 70cm port.

        A one to many digipeater function would be an advantage over Xrouter
        (it has only a one to one port digipeater function). UI_View has a
        Many to Many digipeater, which is great, but it isn't a node or
        router itself like BPQ32 or Xrouter are.

        73 de Michael ZL1ABS