NEW BPQ32 & the parallel port?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
      Hi BPQ32 list,

      I tried a search with "PARALLEL" or "PAR96" or "PIC-PAR" and came up
      empty.

      So I am forced to ask the question:
      Does the new BPQ32 support modems connected to the parallel port?

      The modems I have available are the PAR96 modem for 9k6 baud rate &
      the PIC-PAR modem also 9k6 baud rate. They are BAYCOM design from
      Germany or USA distributor.

      I've heard that FLEXNET might support them. The present Xrouter
      doesn't support them (But does prettty much everything else I want to
      do).

      My old DOC basic Packet terminal program from BAYCOM does support
      them.
      But it is not a NODE software like BPQ32 is.

      My application would involve APRS with 1k2 (2M band) & 9k6 (70cm
      band) ports. A F6FBB BBS would also be involved.
      The MFJ 1k2 TNCs I have are no trouble as they can do KISS on a
      serial port. I haven't got any G3RUH add-on boards for MFJ TNCs to do
      9k6.

      The old BPQ (DOS) could run DRSI & Baycom USCC cards that plug into
      the usual ISA or PCI bus (according to model of card).
      Does the NEW BPQ32 still support those bus type cards?

      73 de Michael ZL1ABS
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
        Hi Michael,

        BPQ32 does not support any parallel port modems. I think I have a Baycom PAR96 lying around somewhere, so if there is sufficient interest, I may be able to develop a driver.

        I did develop a driver  for the DRSI card on Windows 98, but not NT/2K/XP. It should work with Baycom and other HDLC cards, but I no longer have a machine with an ISA bus to test it on. I wasn't aware of PCI versions of HDLC cards. If they are still available I could write a driver for XP - it didnt seem worth doing one for ISA cards, as the chances of an ISA machne having having enough power to run XP seemed remote.

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
          I'm still using BPQ with two DRSI cards. One of the reasons I have never upgraded
          anything. I even had a motherboard specially built with two ISA slots so I could
          continue to use your driver and node.

          About two months ago I went to XP, the new FBB and tried it on another machine.
          Half the Bbs's could connect and pass bulletins, the other have it just wouldn't work.
          After about two weeks working with some of you guys with no fix. I just dumped
          the idea and stayed with what I have.

          17 years and counting John!

          73 Dave
          n4zkf

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007
            Hi John,

            The BAYCOM team have been selling the new PCI version (four modems
            daughter board plug ins) of their BUS cards for USCC for some time
            now. Newer PCs still have PCI slots I think. So your DRSI/USCC driver
            would be of use to people who have those cards.
            Fewer PCs come with serial ports, so the Parallel port might become
            more desired for BPQ32 in future?

            I use Win98se myself. I didn't want to "rent XP" as it isn't (now
            replaced by VISTA) available to buy unconditionally. All use has to
            be approved by a telephone call centre & requires renewing after any
            hardware change. Used copies of Win2k are becoming available at a
            price I can manage, so I may move up to that in time.

            I think there are now some TNCs equipped for direct connection to the
            USB ports on newer PCs. I haven't any of those sort of TNCs myself.
            I don't know if those USB TNCs are for 9k6.

            The BAYCOM web site talks about UBER PACKET MODEMS for 76KBPS using
            the parallel port?
            Definitely beyond the ratings for the serial port.
            I don't know anybody in ZL with such a high data rate Packet modem.

            The ZL KIWISAT under developement in Auckland is to have 9k6 standard
            G3RUH & getting 9k6 Packet going for the launch is desireable.
            Other 70cm band 9k6 uses are for APRS data links between 2m APRS
            nodes. The local BBS has a 9k6 port on 70cm besides the 1k2 2m port &
            the 1k2 70cm port.

            A one to many digipeater function would be an advantage over Xrouter
            (it has only a one to one port digipeater function). UI_View has a
            Many to Many digipeater, which is great, but it isn't a node or
            router itself like BPQ32 or Xrouter are.

            73 de Michael ZL1ABS