Re: [BPQ32] talking to TNC

  • Stan Kozlowitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
      Mark,  I am using Airmail for communications with my MFJ-1278B.  It can automatically put the MFJ in HF Pactor mode, or I can choose "Dumb Terminal" from a drop-down list and give the MFJ any command I want.  I am running it on a Vista machine.

      Stan Kozlowitz

      aa5xo@...
      aa5xo@...
      NNN0YSD@...

      304-872-9792

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
        Thanks to all for the replies to my question.  I found a copy of paKet 6.2
        at TAPR and sure enough, it works just fine for my specific need.  It's a
        bit of an overkill, but I have plenty of room on the computer, so it's
        perfect and will save me a lot of trips to the TNC.

        Mark Milburn KQ0I
        Des Moines, IA

        on Skype, YahooIM and Google Chat as: markkq0i

        PaKet will still run in Vista. I have it on a Windows 7 machine just to get TNC’s in and out of Kiss Mode. It has a built in command  <ALT-K> to get it out of KISS Mode.

        Keith G1GXB

        Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:23 PM

        Is there some simple little program that I can use to talk
        to my TNC (MFJ)?  I had been using paKet 6.2 on a DOS
        machine, but that computer has bit the dust and I need to
        find something for VISTA.

        I can use Outpost, but it's clumsy as heck...surely there
        is an easier way.

        Also, an easy way to get the TNC  out of KISS mode once
        it is in it?  I'm resorting to pulling the battery and letting it
        reset.  Is there some command that will make that an
        easier process?

        Thanks for the help.

        Mark Milburn KQ0I
        Des Moines, IA

        on Skype, YahooIM and Google Chat as: markkq0i
        No virus found in this message.

      • ve2hom Pascal
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hello Mark,
              Personnaly when I need to configure a TNC I usa putty, it's a telnet/ssh application, but you can choose to communicate with a serial port.
          To exit the kiss mode you need to send the ascii caracter 192 255 192

          This is the way prefer, but you can choose another way

          73 de Pascal
          ve2hom

          Le 05/02/12 10:23, Mark Milburn a écrit :
          Is there some simple little program that I can use to talk
          to my TNC (MFJ)?  I had been using paKet 6.2 on a DOS
          machine, but that computer has bit the dust and I need to
          find something for VISTA.

          I can use Outpost, but it's clumsy as heck...surely there
           is an easier way.

          Also, an easy way to get the TNC  out of KISS mode once
          it is in it?  I'm resorting to pulling the battery and letting it
          reset.  Is there some command that will make that an
          easier process?

          Thanks for the help.

          Mark Milburn KQ0I
          Des Moines, IA

          on Skype, YahooIM and Google Chat as: markkq0i

        • Chris Hanslits
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012

            Mark,

            Putty is a great program and if you already have Outpost you can use the IPSerial utility that is part of the Outpost program suite.  It is a “dumb terminal” utility and works nicely for the kind of thing you are trying to do.  I have replaced PaKet 6.2 (a great program back in the day) with IPSerial and found it does everything I need it to do when it comes to configuring TNCs.

            73

            Chris