BPQAPRS and Windows ME/98

  • wavetel1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2012
      I have been using BPQ for years now on and off. Right back from the DOS days. Over the last few years Ive become focused primarily on APRS so I was curious to see a APRS app/client for BPQ appear a while back.
      Most of my APRS full time gear is still running very stable on a Windows ME laptop with Ui-View javAprs Igate and AGWtoBPQ . The last time I upgraded BPQ was to v5.0.0 Build 1 Feb 2011 by the looks.
      With all the changes and additions to BPQ in the last year I honestly thought it would be asking a bit too much to try and push the newer versions onto the old machine but I got real curious.

      Ive tried to get APRSIS32 to work on there with a thing called Kernel-EX but it would only run for 24 hours before it really crashed the machine with some sort of a memory leak. I always thought that getting a APP on APRS to work with OSM would be a impossibility with this old OS but it seems that BPQAPRS is working quite well and does not load the machine that badly. Truly a suprise. Although I have dual boot and can go Linux and run xastir with OSM .

      I am now running BPQ v 5.2.4.1 Jan 30 2012 with BPQAPRS v1.0.0.0 . Will leave this running now and see how it plays with all the usual apps including
      AGWtoBPQ , Ui-View , javAprs Igate , Ui-Path , Ui-NWS and Digi_Ned for windows on HF at times

      Ive made a few observations with the BPQAPRS app that I will post separately now.

      Well done John. Really impressive . Truly extraordinary and for what it is being version 1 it shows lots of promise. Really amazing and pushing the limits with my setup.

      PS
      And yes I probably am insane still running Windows ME but if it isnt broke why fix it. I just rebooted after installing the new version of BPQ but it didnt need it by the looks. Prior to that it was up and running for 105 days non stop.

      Tony VK5AH